Backroads Trip Leaders: Work Authorization, Compensation & Benefits
About Backroads, Work Authorization & Our Hubs of Employment
Backroads began in 1979 as an innovative active travel company. Now the industry leader in active travel, we offer more biking, walking and multisport trips in more locations worldwide than any other company. In order to accomplish this, in addition to our company headquarters in Berkeley, California, Backroads has created three logistical hubs: Salt Lake City, Utah; Canmore Alberta (near Banff) Canada; and "801 France" in Pernes-les-Fontaines (in Provence) France.
To be an employee of Backroads, an individual must be legally authorized to work in the U.S., Canada or France. Our European subsidiary (located in France, and our legal working hub for all Europeans), can only employ citizens of countries in the European Economic Community (EEC)* or people who hold a French work permit.
Leaders based in the U.S., Canada and Europe are eligible to work in Europe, and we do send a small number of new leaders overseas in their first season. The key factors in determining European trip leading schedules are language skills, European travel experience, and the ability to confidently drive a manual transmission van, pulling a trailer with guests in the vehicle with you. Unfortunately, Backroads cannot sponsor an individual seeking a work visa. Work permits or visas must be obtained separately, on the applicants own, prior to being considered for a Trip Leader position.
* The following countries are in the European Economic Community (EEC): Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Spain, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Norway, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, UK.
Regardless of which subsidiary becomes your hub, the Trip Leader position offers the following benefits...
Leader Compensation & Benefits
Backroads sets the industry standard for the total leader compensation and benefit package. Backroads enables field employees to both work and play through many perks and benefits that mitigate out-of-pocket costs when leaders are on the road. A few things worth noting are:
Pay & Gratuities
You will be paid an industry leading rate for all of your Backroads work. In addition to the days spent in your ‘core job' of Trip Leading and Support Leading roles, you are paid for ‘behind the scenes work' such as our 2 week training program, prep days, travel days, drive days, regional familiarization days, and time spent maintaining equipment. You will also be eligible to receive gratuities on trips from guests as part of your overall compensation. We will happily provide the most up-to-date information on our rates of pay and average gratuities during our interview process.
While actively leading trips, Backroads provides allowances to cover nearly all costs of food and lodging. All of your food and lodging are covered during trips, and lodging is covered between trips. Food allowances are also provided for prep days, travel days, drive days, and regional familiarization days. On top of these allowances Backroads leaders receive phone stipends and have access to Backroads' computers. Most leaders find that they are easily able to save money while working for Backroads. Of course, your individual savings potential will ultimately depend on your personal lifestyle and the number of trips you lead in a season.
Many of our regions worldwide have leader houses in wonderful places that are available to leaders free of charge while working, and in between trips. In Europe: Tuscany, Puglia, Provence, Loire Valley, Dordogne, Croatia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Ireland, Switzerland. In the USA: Jackson Hole, Wyoming; Anacortes, Washington; Portland, Maine; Whitefish, Montana; Berkeley, California; Stowe, Vermont; Anchorage, Alaska; St. George, Utah; In Canada: Outside Banff, Nova Scotia, Québec. And other international locales such as: Wanaka, New Zealand; San José, Costa Rica. Standard with these accommodations are computers, wireless internet and access to bikes for personal use.
Backroads provides all travel from your hub (Salt Lake City for U.S. employees, Canmore for Canadian Employees or Pernes-les-Fontaines for "801 France" employees) when moving to another region during the season (either via air, train or driving company vehicles). Leaders enjoy keeping their own frequent flyer miles for personal travel, and may choose to stopover or extend their stay in desired locales within work-sponsored itineraries. While it's a leader's responsibility to cover travel costs to and from a hub at the start and end of a leaders' season, Backroads provides all travel to trip destinations during a working season.
Backroads also offers several benefits to leaders that are of a more recreational nature, including (but not limited to) generous discounts with brand-name equipment and clothing companies; Backroads trip discounts to family and friends; and multi-day social and outdoor staff festivities throughout the year. Our version of the company picnic? A weeklong "staff ride" in Northern Thailand, Slovenia, the California coast, Spain and Crete (to name a recent few).
Joie de Vivre
Perhaps the most valuable benefit is enjoying a lifestyle few can match. In addition to itineraries that feature some of the worlds' best hotels, restaurants and scenery, imagine having time off in some of the most desirable locations around the world, and having the freedom to explore on your own. Being a Backroads leader allows for a lifestyle of flexibility and variety that many value above all other benefits of the job.
Additional Benefits Based on Hub of Employment
Leaders employed by Backroads Utah enjoy these benefits:
- 401k plan: Leaders are eligible to contribute (up to 75% of their income) to a 401K plan after six months of employment, and Backroads will match 20% of an employee's contributions (up to 15% of pay).
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance: First-year leaders are eligible to receive reimbursement of up to $120 per month towards their individual medical plans beginning the first day of the month following the first day of training. This reimbursement is available during months the leader works 10 days or more. Leaders in their second year (and beyond) who are employed on a year-round basis are eligible to join Backroads' group medical, dental and vision plans. Backroads covers 80% of group health plan premiums during any month that a leader works 10 days or more, or on a year-round basis when a leader works 120 days or more. Leaders in their second year (and beyond) who choose not to join our group health plan continue to be eligible to receive reimbursement toward their individual medical plans.
- Flex Plan: Leaders are also eligible to join our "Flex Plan" after three months of employment. This plan allows employees to set aside money on a pre-tax basis to pay for qualifying health and dependent daycare expenses.
Leaders employed by our Canadian subsidiary enjoy these benefits:
- RRSP plan: Backroads will provide 20% match on leader RRSP contributions made during the year, up to a maximum of 15% of a leaders' Backroads salary. Employees become 20% vested each year and are fully vested after five years of employment.
- A health/dental insurance program: Backroads will reimburse up to $120 USD per month for provincial medical and/or supplemental medical insurance beginning the first day of the month following the first day of training. Leaders are eligible to receive this reimbursement during months in which they work 10 days or more.
Leaders employed by our French subsidiary also enjoy these benefits:
- Medical Benefits: "801 France" Leaders qualify for the basic French Social Security coverage since they are employed by a French company. Coverage is effective as soon as the Leader is under contract (first day of work). Leaders are 100% covered in case of a work injury, and up to 65% for all other medical expenses.
- Holiday Pay: Time worked on French holidays is paid time and a half. Time worked on Sundays or on May 1st is paid double.
- Vacation Pay: Vacation pay for European Leaders is paid out at the end of each contract. The amount of vacation pay is equal to 10% of the total gross pay Leaders make during the entire duration of their contract.
- European Leaders also qualify for French government approved retirement and unemployment plans covered by Groupe Mornay and Pole Emploi.