Put one foot in front of the other. Feel the crunch of pine needles beneath your shoes. The sun's warmth on your face. Repeat. The perfect rhythm to another perfect day. It's simple to settle into this pace. To amble amid high cliffs, heavenly Costa Brava beaches and immense Pyrenees massifs as if there's no separation between the landscape and your leisurely swinging limbs. Medieval towns unsullied by time. Whitewashed fishing villages. Curvaceous calas (coves) and an azure sea. Walking in Catalonia. One of travel's most perfect pleasures.
Day 1 Relais & Châteaux luxury each night, starting at the incomparable Mas de Torrent Following a rocky trail, ascend through an arid Mediterranean landscape on the sprawling Montgrí Massif to medieval Montgrí Castle for spectacular views of the Pyrenees, the Mediterranean Sea and charming towns below.
Day 2 Walk the Costa Brava's ancient footpaths from cliffs to secluded coves Half-moons of white sand and crystal clear water cupped by forested hillsides—these beaches are simply sublime Linger over a seafood lunch in a sleepy fishing village Explore Cap Roig Botanical Garden, where multicolored flowers bloom on terraces descending from a hilltop castle to the sea.
Days 3-4 Gaze in awe at the rugged peaks and shimmering lakes of the high Pyrenees Visit Montgrony sanctuary, set on a dramatic cliff Cross the border into France for a hike that leads over stone bridges to the scenic Bouillouses Lake Savor acclaimed sun-kissed Catalan wines—dry white varietals and robust reds, all nurtured by the mild Mediterranean climate.
Days 5-6 Trek through Cadí-Moixeró Nature Park along pine-clad slopes and enjoy far-reaching vistas of the Cadí Valley Relax over a gourmet Backroads picnic in the Bastanist Valley Up for one last hike? Set out early for a ramble across the rolling terrain of the Segre River Valley to a pair of atmospheric villages.
- Relais & Châteaux luxury each and every night
- Walk the Costa Brava's ancient footpaths from cliffs to secluded coves
- Sun-kissed Catalan wines and authentic Pyrenees cuisine
- Gaze in awe at rugged peaks and shimmering lakes
- Breathtaking limestone cliffs and verdant meadows in Cadí-Moixeró Nature Park
Mas de Torrent Hotel & Spa (2 nights): A beautifully restored 18th-century manor house with stylish rooms and historic country charm. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa, tennis)
Torre del Remei (2 nights): Set amid acres of lush manicured gardens, this modernist château from the early 1900s was designed by a disciple of Antoni Gaudí. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool)
El Castell de Ciutat (1 night): The Hideaway Report calls it an "unpretentious and hospitable inn set on a ridge in the Catalan Pyrenees overlooking the picturesque Cerdanya Valley." A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 5/31-6/5 Price: $4598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/7-12 Price: $4698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/14-19 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/28-7/3 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/5-10 Price: $4698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/12-17 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/19-24 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/26-31 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/9-14 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/30-9/4 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/6-11 Price: $4698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/20-25 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/27-10/2 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/4-9 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $7,098 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $6,298 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,698 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,298 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.
Guest Trip Reviews
Expectations were high - and they were exceeded. As always, it's the people - both other guests and guides that make the trip. Knowing that everything will be taken care of without me having to plan (or even think) makes a Backroads trip truly a vacation.- South Salem, NY