How do you prepare for this adventure? First you walk, and practice stopping suddenly. So that you'll be ready for the spontaneous views - colorful villages clinging to cliffs with waves crashing below. Then pick the most delectable Chianti you can find. It won't match the Classico in Panzano but it's good practice. Finally get your fill of just-off-the-boat fresh seafood, hearty pork and beef, friendly people, rows of cypress, warm sunlight, patch-work hills and the blue Mediterranean. And you've got a good start.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Hiking in Cinque Terre National ParkCinque Terre is a popular tourist destination with busy peak seasons, especially on sunny days. Your trip has been designed to minimize the impact of these peak times as much as possible, but like any sought after National Park destination, and UNESCO World Heritage Site, crowds are possible.
Because the national park is still recovering from recent trail damage, weather-related trail closures may occur. In the event of a trail closure, your Backroads Trip Leaders will have alternate hikes and activities available.
Days 1-2 Two distinct regions of Italy in one amazing trip Hike through the dramatic landscape to Portovenere, taking in sweeping vistas of the Golfo della Spezia Feast on fresh seafood on Palmaria Island Explore the Cinque Terre's spectacular coastline, a World Heritage site, by foot, boat and train Well-groomed paths lined by ancient stone walls lead from stunning Riomaggiore through cliffside Manarola, quiet Corniglia, colorful Vernazza to inviting Monterosso al Mare.
Day 3 Pass trompe l'oeil-adorned villas en route to pretty Portofino, playground of the rich and famous A walk along Portofino's postcard-perfect waterfront is a must before heading inland to Chianti.
Day 4 Stroll through quintessential Tuscan villages, vineyards and cypress-flanked lanes Amble around historic Greve in Chianti and shop for local delicacies Set out after lunch for the medieval hamlet of Montefioralle as a classic Tuscan landscape spreads out before you Sip regional wines at a fun and informative tasting.
Days 5-6 Savor full-bodied Chianti reds and Tuscany's simple hearty fare Bold balsamic vinegars dance across your tongue in ancient ridgetop Radda, the epicenter of Chianti Classico Visit Volpaia, a medieval village-turned-winery Soak up grand pastoral panoramas from the strada bianca, surrounded by vineyards.
- Two distinct and beloved regions of Italy in one amazing trip
- Hike the Cinque Terre's spectacular coastline, with brightly colored cliffside villages
- Outstanding seafood by the Mediterranean and simple hearty fare in Chianti
- Stroll through archetypal Tuscan villages, vineyards and cypress-flanked lanes
- Taste crisp Ligurian white wines and full-bodied Tuscan reds
Hotel Belvedere (1 night): This modest seaside hotel offers superb vistas of Palmaria Island and the Gulf of La Spezia from its terrace and balconies.
Hotel Jolanda (2 nights): Enjoy the tranquility of this family-run hotel, within walking distance of the sea.
Villa Le Barone (2 nights): Owned by the same family since the 1500s, this former manor house offers vistas of the surrounding countryside, olive groves and vineyards of Chianti Classico. (pool, tennis)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 4/27-5/2 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/11-16 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/18-23 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/1-6 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/22-27 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/29-7/4 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/6-11 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/20-25 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/3-8 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/17-22 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/24-29 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/2-7 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/9-14 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/14-19 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/16-21 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/21-26 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/23-28 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/30-10/5 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/5-10 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/12-17 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $5,198 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $4,598 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $4,198 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $3,998 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $3,498 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $3,198 pp dbl. occ.
Guest Trip Reviews
I had a lovely time and saw some of the most spectacular views and scenery in my life.- Westmont, IL
Inspired! Very well-thought-out itinerary. Time stood still. For a short trip on the calendar, with so many full moments, it seemed like a long, perfectly crafted excursion.- Mill Valley, CA
We love Backroads! Everything we heard about it was true - fun, professional and great service, wonderful food, super nice people on our trip that we loved getting to know, and beautiful scenery. Thank you for our first spectacular trip to Italy. We aren't sure we could have done all that on our own because it enabled us to go to small towns, meet with local people, eat at local restaurants, and work out pretty extensively (hiking) every day yet have the option to sightsee instead. I cannot recommend it enough to others.- Atlanta, GA
Terrific experience. The locales were beautiful, food was amazing, hikes were challenging but gorgeous, ferry opportunities gave a nice water option, a great blend of seaside and Tuscan experiences.- Cary, NC
Leaders were fantastic and Backroads trips continue to give great value. The consistency of the product continues to give me no reason to look at any other adventure travel company for future trips. Food and wine were a highlight. Very special boating over to Locanda Lorena.- Cary, NC
It was a wonderful experience. It was my first Backroads trip and I couldn't have been more pleased. It was so well organized and executed. All aspects of the trip were anticipated and covered!- Tucson, AZ
Fabulous!!! Worth every penny! Great guides, well-planned, nice accommodations, all the right details were planned, perfect mix of hiking and sightseeing.- Greenville, SC