Prague. It's captivating. It's a trove of sumptuous architecture. And it's only the start of your trip. Trace the gentle contours of the Bohemian landscape on two wheels. Absorb firsthand accounts of the Communist era. And delve into enchanting cities including Tábor and Český Krumlov, a fairy-tale town with a medieval castle looming overhead and a warren of cobblestone streets. Roam through Austria's Wachau Valley wine region and stop in at a heuriger. Even find the castle where Richard the Lionheart was imprisoned. Last stop: romantic Vienna. There's so much to discover in the Czech Republic and Austria. Explore with us.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Service StandardsThe Czech Republic is a welcoming and fascinating country in the process of exciting change. While not a priority during the country's communist years, service is improving, though you may not always experience the level of convenience or service typically found in Western countries. It's best to travel in the Czech Republic with an open mind and a sense of humor. And know that your Backroads leaders are there to smooth out the edges and make you as comfortable as possible throughout.
Day 1 Explore Tábor, a 15th-century enclave sitting atop a hill overlooking the surrounding countryside Stroll the cobbled streets of its lovely Old Town, lined with colorful homes, open-air cafés and artisan vendors A clever maze of tunnels lies below the streets, which in times of danger were used to shelter its citizens.
Days 2-3 Český Krumlov, a charming 13th-century town with twisting lanes and red-tile roofs where most of the buildings are designated cultural monuments Pedal across the hills of Bohemia, through tranquil farmland and Holaovice, an impeccably preserved World Heritage-site village In Český Krumlov, behold views of ornate 13th-century Krumlov Hrad, the second-largest castle in the Czech Republic Dive into Czech history with Helena, our local friend and historian Gather at a local pub for a pint-sized taste of Czech culture.
Days 4-5 Discover two intriguing countries and cultures in one trip Czech treasures make way for Austria's beautiful Waldviertel, draped in forests and rolling fields of barley and wheat - a great place to pedal Bike along the fabled Danube River and through Wachau Valley vineyards Visit Melk, whose magnificent Baroque abbey is perched high on a rocky promontory A local oenologist invites us over for a private estate tour and tasting of famous Rieslings and grüner veltliners.
Day 6 Austria's picture-perfect villages with onion-shaped church steeples Soak up the views from the Dürnstein's castle ruins, where Richard the Lionheart was imprisoned Say goodbye in vibrant Vienna, an enchanting place to extend your vacation.
- Discover two intriguing countries and cultures in one trip
- Český Krumlov, charming 13th-century town with twisting lanes and red-tile roofs
- Enjoy an informal Q&A session with a Czech historian
- Bike along the fabled Danube River and through Wachau Valley vineyards
- Austria's picture-perfect villages with onion-shaped church steeples
Hotel Nautilus (1 night): Set on medieval Tábor's main square, this hotel features guest rooms decorated with original artwork, antique furniture and ancient fossils. (spa)
Hotel Ruze (2 nights): A former Jesuit monastery from the 16th century, with a perfect location in the town's center. (pool, spa)
Romantik Hotel Richard Löwenherz (2 nights): Enjoy superb views of the Danube at this former convent, surrounded by the remains of the medieval city wall. (pool)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Guided Walk (1 Hour)|
|Castle ruins walk (1.5 miles)|
There is less than 5% of riding on hard-packed dirt on this trip. Since the overwhelming majority of the trip is paved, we've elected to use standard road bike tires on our titanium road bikes. Most guests find this to be the right answer. If you prefer to skip the dirt, a shuttle is always a possibility.
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 5/11-16 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/18-23 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/25-30 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/1-6 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/8-13 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/15-20 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/22-27 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/29-7/4 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/6-11 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/13-18 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/20-25 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/27-8/1 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/3-8 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/10-15 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/17-22 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/26-31 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/2-7 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/7-12 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/9-14 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/14-19 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/16-21 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/21-26 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/28-10/3 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/27-6/1 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/8-13 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/29-9/3 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/26-10/1 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $500 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $5,398 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $4,598 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $4,198 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $3,998 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $3,498 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $3,198 pp dbl. occ.
Guest Trip Reviews
I really can't say enough positive things about the trip and the two leaders. Simply put, it was one of the best experiences of my life. I don't know one person who can claim to have experienced a new culture on such a wide and intimate scale. Add the great people on the trip, the food, my birthday gift and the 800 some odd pictures I took...well, I'm already looking at my next adventure with Backroads. Outstanding!- Annapolis, MD
I loved this trip. It was really a great experience all around. I loved the blend of athletic activity, with cultural and historical information. The guides are truly amazing people. The people were very nice and lively and intelligent. It was a great first Backroads experience.- New York, NY
This was a tremendous experience. The leaders were outstanding, the van/bike support excellent, the destinations and accomodations terrific. I felt safe knowing that someone had my back. Also, it was a great blend of fitness and leisure, while also fulfilling my need for learning about new cultures. Overall, this will go down as one of my most memorable vacation experiences. Thank you!- New York, NY
Of our 14 trips with Backroads, this trip has some of the most beautiful and idyllic cycling we have experienced. Riding through the lush orchards and terraced vineyards at their peak was pure bliss.- New York, NY
I had an absolutely amazing experience! It was certainly one of my favorite weeks of my entire life and I cannot wait to travel with Backroads again. Thank you, thank you, you wonderful people!!! This was an easy one. As novice cyclists, my wife and I have only mountain bikes at home. To be on a road bike was like floating! And to be on one that was specifically suited to our heights and preferences - truly awesome!!!- San Diego, CA
My husband and I had a fantastic time. We had been looking forward to the trip for over a year. We had heard wonderful things about the trip, but the trip FAR EXCEEDED our expectations. The hotels, food, biking, trip leaders, bikes, local activities were ALL amazing and fantastic. We've only been back for a few days but we can't stop talking about it!! We are definitely hooked on Backroads! And trying to see when we can do another trip!!- San Diego, CA
I think Backroads' biggest asset is in the quality of your leaders. They are bright, enthusiastic, knowledgeable, confident and inspiring. I would take another trip just to meet two more fantastic individuals.- New York, NY
This was an excellent trip - the scenery, the culture, the people, the history - what an awesome experience. The leaders were beyond great, very knowledgeable, and fun. The countryside, castles, abbey, vineyards, cute little towns - all of it - outstanding.- Lascassas, TN
This Backroads trip exceeded my high expectations, in terms of preplanning, excellent and beautiful routes, a perfect combination of biking and cultural immersions, and exceptional trip leaders. Bethesda, MD
Na zdravi! There's nothing like a cold beer, dinner cooked over an open fire, and a Czech trio singing Neil Young's Heart of Gold (in Czech, of course) after a perfect ride over the Fields of Gold (rapeseed) into Czesky Krumlov - an authentic medieval village along the Vltava river.- Sacramento, CA