From the moment you ease your bike onto the road, you'll feel it: Mallorca's irresistible allure. Maybe it's the heavenly climate of this sunny Mediterranean isle. Or the rugged Serra de Tramuntana, with its precipitous peaks and plunging gorges. The nearly deserted back roads, where vigorous climbs and curlicue descents thrill cyclists of all persuasions - including the pros. Maybe it's the forgotten valleys, where pine forests and ancient olive trees thrive and medieval monasteries keep watch over centuries-old villages. Or the shimmering sea fringed by secret pebble beaches…. Welcome to Mallorca. Fall in love with it all.
Day 1 Endless vistas of the turquoise Mediterranean Sea Rendezvous in the resplendent port city of Palma then spin through the countryside, passing picturesque windmills and drystone walls Savor delectable seafood at a former fortress on the Bay of Palma.
Day 2 The dramatic Serra de Tramuntana mountain range - cycling paradise found! Ascend the ultra-curvy Orient-Bunyola route through some of Mallorca's most stunning scenery Overnight in enchanting Valldemossa, once a Moorish hamlet.
Days 3-4 Explore the island's untouched western reaches on a coastal ride A spin on sinuous lanes leads through pine forest and near the monastery that once hosted Frédéric Chopin and George Sand Ready for a break? Seaside Deià invites a pause, its stone terraces lush with wild lavender and citrus groves Only the strongest riders will be tempted to brave the road to Sa Calobra, a thrilling roller-coaster of hairpin turns plunging 3,000 feet to the sea.
Days 5-6 Pedal the narrow winding peninsula road to breathtaking Cap de Formentor, a bluff at the island's northernmost tip offering incredible views Opt for an afternoon of relaxation at the hotel - perhaps an orange blossom body treatment appeals Up for one last spin? Follow flatter terrain along the southern side of the Serra de Tramuntana range into a fertile region dotted with orange, olive and walnut orchards.
- Endless vistas of the turquoise Mediterranean Sea
- Pedal the narrow and curvaceous peninsula road to breathtaking Cap de Formentor
- The dramatic Serra de Tramuntana mountain range - cycling paradise found!
- Savor delectable seafood and other local specialties
- Seaside Deià, its stone terraces lush with wild lavender and citrus groves
Cap Rocat (1 night): Chic contemporary design within a stunning 19th-century fortress, set on 88 acres overlooking the Bay of Palma. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (pool, tennis)
Hotel Valldemossa (2 nights): Two luxuriously restored 19th-century stone houses - once part of the Valldemossa Carthusian monastery - offering sweeping views of the mountains, town and monastery. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa)
Son Brull Hotel & Spa (2 nights): A monastery-turned-elegant hotel nestled on a hillside above olive groves and the Bay of Pollença. A Relais & Châteaux member. (pool, spa, tennis)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 4/27-5/2 Price: $4598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/25-30 Price: $4698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/7-12 Price: $4698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/9-14 Price: $4598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/14-19 Price: $4698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/21-26 Price: $4698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/28-10/3 Price: $4598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/5-10 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/12-17 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/19-24 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/26-31 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/4-9 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/23-28 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1110 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $6,398 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $5,798 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $5,298 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $5,098 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $4,498 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $4,198 pp dbl. occ.
Guest Trip Reviews
Mallorca could be my favorite trip with Backroads! The countryside was just gorgeous, the hills were challenging, the food delicious. The expert support the leaders provided was the best ever.- Santa Fe, NM
When asked which Backroads trip has been my favorite, I usually say my last one. Even though Mallorca isn't my last trip, this one may be my favorite for a long time. I love that the terrain varies from day to day, the food is fabulous, and the motorists on the island are very bike-friendly.- Clyde Hill, WA
That might be the best trip ever. I loved it so much I would even do the same trip again. :) Your process, people and planning were top-notch. Thank you!- Raleigh, NC
The trips are so much greater than the sum of the individual parts. The guides are awesome and care so much about making your experience unforgettable. Great destinations and hotels and food and perfect execution. I have met many people on these trips that also add an unimaginable other aspect. Backroads attracts many extraordinary people... Backroads rocks!- Dallas, TX