Namibia, Botswana & Zambia Active Safari
Victoria Falls, Okavango’s Wildlife & Sossusvlei’s Red Dunes
Venture to a land of stunning contrasts. Soaring charter flights lead to down-to-earth hikes, from flame-colored dunes in Namibia to Zambia and Zimbabwe's mist-shrouded Victoria Falls. In Botswana, mighty elephants roam and springbok leap. Luxurious retreats nestle amid raw nature. And impossibly blue skies turn into a blanket of stars.
THIS ITINERARY: 9 days, 8 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Namibia, Botswana & Zambia
Start Windhoek, Namibia / End Livingston, Zambia
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Hike up into Namibia's iconic rust-hued Sossusvlei Dunes, some of the highest—and most beautiful—on the planet
- Relax and recharge at luxurious lodges set in private game reserves, seamlessly linked by exclusive flights
- Discover Zambia and Zimbabwe's famous Victoria Falls, a breathtaking explosion of thunder and spray on the Zambezi River
- Safari amid the Okavango Delta`s stunning maze of waterways and savanna, with the chance to spot the Big Five
9 Days Premiere Hotels
Hike the dramatic Namib Desert, with its vivid pink-to-orange dunes | Spot desert wildlife like oryx, springbok and ostrich | Marvel at petrified dunes | Our local San Bushman guide sheds light on the desert's flora and fauna | Join an astronomer for an extraordinary night of stargazing.
A tranquil oasis surrounded by sand dunes and mountains in the Namib Desert. (pool, spa)
Climb the bright red-orange Sossusvlei Dunes—among the highest in the world—for sweeping desert views | Gain insight into traditional and contemporary culture on a guided twilight walk | Sip refreshing sundowners and enjoy dinner alfresco | Discover remote Damaraland, a rugged region of arid plains, granite outcrops and deep gorges.
Sensational views abound at this desert safari camp, nestled amid massive sandstone boulders. (pool)
Fly via private charter to the incredible Okavango Delta in Botswana, a World Heritage site | Delve into a vast maze of papyrus-lined waterways and grassland on guided walks and game drives | Chances to spot the Big Five—lion, leopard, elephant, rhinoceros and buffalo—abound | Punt along shallow waters in a traditional mokoro canoe | Vacation in a luxury tented camp, serenaded by soothing night sounds.
Tucked under a canopy of ebony trees, this elegant tented retreat offers expansive views of the Okavango Delta. (pool, spa)
Behold Zambia and Zimbabwe's Victoria Falls, known in Zambia as Mosi-oa-Tunya, or Smoke That Thunders | On a guided hike on the Zimbabwean side of the river, watch the mighty Zambezi surge down a zigzagging chasm | Savor an unforgettable dinner on the riverbank | Cruise a sprawling stretch of the Zambezi, watching for hippos, crocodiles and birdlife | Visit a vibrant local marketplace | Relax under mangosteen trees at our magnificent river abode.
Set on a dramatic bend of the Zambezi River, these airy chalets are enveloped by lush palm and jackalberry trees. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-2
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The walking and hiking routes in Namibia are primarily in a desert environment with rocky, sandy terrain that includes some fairly steep sand dune climbs. The routes in Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana mostly follow bush trails with rough dirt and exposed roots.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 9 lunches, 8 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
On this trip we travel by air to reach the exclusive hotels and activities this destination has to offer. We will be flying by charter with Westair Aviation aboard turboprop planes that seat approximately 10 passengers.