Vancouver Island Multi-Adventure Tour
Temperate Rain Forest, Bountiful Seas & Dramatic Coastlines
The west coast of Vancouver Island feels like the edge of the world. On one side, the vast Pacific Ocean. On the other, ancient rain forests. In between, a smattering of small islands, a network of waterways and the fragile Clayoquot Sound Biosphere Reserve. Bald eagles soar above the trail. Black bears snack on wild berries. An abundance of marine life thrives in inlets and tide pools. But our journey into the wilderness doesn't require us to leave luxury behind: our retreats are some of the continent's most acclaimed and elegant, showing how hospitable the edge of the world can be.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Start Vancouver / End Victoria
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Venture to the rugged western wilds of British Columbia’s Vancouver Island, home to rich wildlife habitats and some of the world’s rarest eco-systems
- Hike pristine coastal trails and ancient footpaths, weaving through fragrant cedars, old-growth rain forests, intertidal waterways and deep-water fjords
- Immerse yourself in a remote island paradise off Canada’s west coast and find sanctuary at a waterfront spa, bookending your trip in captivating Vancouver
- Dine on innovative organic cuisine in incomparable settings, from our beachfront resort in Tofino to a luxury safari lodge in Clayoquot Sound
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Explore Vancouver Island’s spectacular Pacific Rim National Park Reserve | Hike the Nuu-Cha-Nulth Trail through a lush old-growth rain forest | Soak up a dramatic coastal landscape en route to Florencia Bay’s breathtaking beach | Admire totem poles, bald eagles and a rich marine biodiversity | Discover Ucluelet, a town where native art and culture thrive | The Wild Pacific Trail takes us through rocky headlands with views of snowcapped peaks and picturesque Barkley Sound | Marvel at centuries-old Sitka spruce and towering red cedars in Canada’s oldest forest | From the front steps of our boutique eco-resort, take in the sunset at white-sand Cox Bay Beach.
Tucked away in the rain forest at the edge of the Pacific Ocean, this boutique property features unparalleled access to coastal activities and is a prime example of Canada’s legendary hospitality. (spa)
Travel across the water from Tofino Harbor through a maze of emerald islands at incredible Clayoquot Sound | Hike through an ancient rain forest with 1,000-year-old trees, awe-inspiring viewpoints and misty waterfalls | Paddle a sea kayak, mountain bike or simply relax amid untamed wilderness at our one-of-a-kind Relais & Châteaux oasis | Head to the waterfront lounge for a post-hike craft cocktail by the fire | Adventure through Clayoquot’s remarkable UNESCO Biosphere Reserve on foot and by Zodiac boat | Spot whales, otters, bears and majestic birds—this intertidal area is teeming with wildlife | Visit Maaqtusiis, the ancestral village of Ahousaht First Nation on pristine Flores Island | Savor sensational cuisine paired with unbeatable views | Vacation in a luxury safari tent at one of Canada’s finest and most exotic hotels | Extend your stay in British Columbia in the green gateway cities of Vancouver and Victoria.
An extraordinary luxury escape on a remote stretch of Vancouver Island’s west coast with refined safari-style tents, exceptional riverfront dining and exclusive eco-adventure offerings. A Relais & Châteaux member. (spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-3
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The terrain we hike varies from sandy beaches to cedar boardwalks to rugged old-growth forest trails to old logging roads. Trails in this pristine wilderness area tend to be narrow and be sure to keep an eye out for the occasional tree root.
Daily Route Options
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 5 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
The combination of Vancouver Island's rain forest, rugged coastal and mountainous landscapes, surreal seascapes and the Pacific Ocean makes this island like no other place in the world. The island's climate can be as prolific as its terrain, with weather patterns and microclimates that can bring sun, wind, fog, sleet and rain all in the same day (or hour!). Please be sure to bring warm layers and waterproof gear for every day of the trip. In addition, the forces of nature might result in mid-trip itinerary changes, but rest assured your Backroads Trip Leaders are always prepared to make necessary adjustments to ensure a great trip while keeping safety the top priority.
On this trip we travel by air to reach the exclusive hotels and activities this destination has to offer. We'll be flying on a scheduled flight with Pacific Coastal Airlines aboard a turboprop plane that seats 19 passengers.