Vancouver & Gulf Islands Family Bike Tour - Older Teens & 20s
Canada's Undiscovered Isles & Victoria
Out here at the edge of the continent, the pleasures are simple. And while boutique wineries, local artisans and farm-to-table eateries are part of the daily scene, you won't have to pedal, hike or paddle far to imagine you've landed in a secret place. Where it's just your family and the soaring eagles, with space to spare.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels*
Special Kids Prices
Start Victoria / End Victoria or Galiano Island
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Bike quiet rolling hills along pristine coastline, lush cedar forests and bucolic inland pastures
- Discover one of western Canada's most appealing regions with its endless panoramic views of the inland archipelago and Olympic Peninsula
- Experience the Gray Peninsula, relax on white shell beaches and spy harbor seals and incredible birdlife, including bald eagles
- Taste exquisite farm-to-table cuisine and award-winning wines locally sourced from the land and sea
6 Days Premiere Hotels*
Soak up inspiring views of the Salish Sea en route to Brentwood Bay | Explore the Butchart Gardens' amazing floral display | Cruise what's known as Vancouver Island's Most Beautiful Shortcut aboard the Mill Bay ferry | Pedal rolling country roads in bucolic Cowichan Valley | The mild microclimate here yields more sunny days than anywhere else in Canada! | Set a leisurely pace, stopping along the way at small boutique wineries, artisan studios and roadside produce stands.
Perched on a forested hillside with spectacular bay vistas, this chic boutique resort features a blend of West Coast and Asian styles. (pool, spa)
Journey by ferry to Salt Spring Island, "the coolest island in Canada" according to the Washington Post | Enjoy an undulating and scenic ride past island cottages, pristine beaches and lush farmland | Stroll through Garry oak meadows to a stunning viewpoint at Ruckle Park | Visit local farm stands and stop to taste craft beer or artisan cider | Explore unique art galleries and whimsical shops in the town of Ganges.
This Sussex-style manor hotel is located on 22 acres with beautiful gardens overlooking the ocean and features tastefully furnished rooms. A Relais & Châteaux member. (spa)
Watch for porpoises, bald eagles and—if we're lucky—whales during a water-taxi cruise to Galiano Island | Pedal quiet rolling roads past rugged shoreline and stretches of forest dotted with eclectic galleries and art studios | Enjoy peaceful beaches and quiet lanes as you discover an island long inhabited by the Coast Salish nations—midden pits suggest 3,000 years of inhabitation | Hike or bike through temperate rain forest for endless vistas of the surrounding islands and Olympic Peninsula.
One of the island's original accommodations, this Pacific Northwest retreat is virtually a destination in itself thanks to its superb vistas of the harbor, Active Passage and the lighthouse on nearby Mayne Island. (spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 2-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
The Gulf Islands' landscape is characterized by constant rises and valleys. The continuously rolling terrain can make routes feel more challenging than the mileage may suggest. Roads have chip-seal pavement and are rough at times. Walking trails are on maintained paths with rocks and roots, sometimes muddy and some with steep pitches.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 6 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage