Brittany & Normandy Family Bike Tour - 20s & Beyond
D-Day Landmarks, Mont-St-Michel & Seaside France
Travel back in time through Brittany and Normandy, where French and US history intertwine. Bike the coastline and stand among bunkers and gun posts at Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc. Get lost in the moment, listening to the waves and watching horses trot gracefully along peaceful beaches. They’re places full of stories and emotions, past and present. Feel free to take some back with you.
THIS ITINERARY: 6 days, 5 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start St-Malo / End Caen
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Cycle amid rolling countryside, rugged cliffs, rambling beaches, historic sites and traditional villages
- Journey along France's unforgettable coastline and taste farm-fresh cheeses and crêpes paired with apple brandy
- Walk along Omaha Beach and visit the vast American Military Cemetery with a local World War II historian
- Behold the famous Bayeux Tapestry, a storybook depicting the Norman invasion of Britain in the 11th century
6 Days Premiere Hotels
Vacation in a stylish seaside region—a popular weekend destination for coast-seeking Parisians | Stroll through riverfront Dinan, a medieval port town with half-timbered houses and cobblestone streets | Follow a bike route along the idyllic Rance River to Dinard, a chic town overlooking the sea | Bike past St-Suliac, a Plus Beaux (Most Beautiful) Villages in France member | Sample fresh oysters from a waterfront market in Cancale, oyster capital of Brittany | Take in vistas of the Emerald Coast as you walk the ramparts at St-Malo, a fortified oceanside city.
This hotel, built in 1859, welcomes you with warm décor and mesmerizing views overlooking the coast and St-Malo. (pool, spa)
Visit the magical island monastery of World Heritage Mont-St-Michel, destination of a centuries-old pilgrimage and home to Europe's most dramatic tides | Connoisseurs of Calvados will delight in Normandy's scenic Cider Route | Ride quiet roads past castles and manors perched atop green rolling hills | Explore the Norman countryside of Pays d’Auge and the vibrant colors of Côte Fleurie | Belle Époque artists, including Marcel Proust and Coco Chanel, are said to have been inspired by the natural wonders here | Wander through the town of Bayeux, home to the epic 11th-century Bayeux Tapestry | A local historian joins us for a private tour of Omaha Beach and the American Military Cemetery.
An elegantly appointed and family-owned boutique hotel just steps from the Bayeux Cathedral in the heart of the city.
Discover fascinating Arromanches, the D-Day beaches and the remains of Mulberry Harbor | Behold the German strongholds of Pointe du Hoc and Longues-sur-Mer | Follow the Côte de Nacre on a ride to the Juno Beach Center | Bike across the famed Pegasus Bridge | Take one last spin from the coast into the hilly hinterland.
This beloved hotel, made famous by Marcel Proust, offers magnificent views of the Cabourg promenade and the sea.
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one day to the next—and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do. LEARN MORE.
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage