Sonoma Wine Country Family Bike Tour - Weekend Getaway - 20s & Beyond
From Redwoods to Sonoma County Vineyards
Pedal with your family from Alexander Valley to Dry Creek and along the Russian River. Three days never felt so good! Spend time among oak-speckled hills and impeccably manicured vineyards. It's a blend of farm-town charm and urban sophistication. Lunch alfresco leads to a gourmet dinner. Crisp whites and rich reds. We just arrived? It already feels like a week.
THIS ITINERARY: 3 days, 2 nights
ACCOMMODATIONS: Premiere Hotels
Start Healdsburg / End San Francisco
Start/End locations may vary. Do not book flights until your trip details are confirmed.
- Discover three charming Wine Country valleys in three days, learning the differences in their wine and terrain as you go
- Savor local vintages at some of our all-time favorite wineries, each with its own distinctive character and unique tasting experience
- Cycle through the lesser-known Russian River Valley, where sprawling vineyards meet redwood- and fir-covered hills and peaceful roads
- Explore Healdsburg, beloved for its blend of small-town friendliness, understated elegance, eclectic boutiques and vibrant food scene
3 Days Premiere Hotels
Day 1 Get ready for three active days, three vineyard-laced valleys, world-class wine and gourmet cuisine | Kick off the weekend with a Backroads picnic in the majestic old-growth forest of Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve | The tallest in the grove stands more than 300 feet high—nearly the length of a football field! | Ride through the beautiful and bucolic Russian River Valley with your family, where terraced vineyards flank quiet roads | Stop to taste some of the region's exceptional pinot noirs.
Day 2 Bike over Chalk Hill through an oak forest into Alexander Valley, often compared to France's Bordeaux region | Savor the sights of Northern California's picturesque landscape as you pedal past acres of rolling hills and tidy vineyards under a blue sky | One of the area's first-rate wineries sets the scene for a bountiful picnic and sampling of excellent Merlot | Feel like stretching your legs? Ride back to charming Healdsburg and take a relaxing stroll around its historic central square.
Day 3 Spin along hillsides blanketed with grapevines, apple orchards and native oak woodland in Dry Creek Valley, acclaimed for its fine zinfandels | A gradual climb takes you back into neighboring Alexander Valley | Indulge in a caffeinated pick-me-up in Geyserville—a town founded after the discovery of hot springs in a nearby gorge in 1847 | You can also opt for an unhurried morning at the hotel or grab a last-minute gift from one of the shops in town.
Sleek and sophisticated, this hotel on the town plaza gets rave reviews for its contemporary interior and plush amenities. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
The earlier you book, the more choice you'll have and the lower your price. And you can always change your mind — you won't be charged to transfer to a different trip before your final payment is due. View cancellation policy
Click on dates for pricing, itinerary variations and to book your trip. Price is per person, double occupancy.
Activity Level: 1-4
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of interests and fitness levels. Several routes and a range of levels are offered each day so you can choose how much or how little activity you want to do. Learn more about how we determine activity levels.
Daily Route Options
Available Bike Options
The key to a stellar day's ride is a bike that's perfectly in tune with your cycling style… Backroads has you covered with the best bike fleet in the world! Read on for your available bike options for this trip.
- All breakfasts, 3 lunches, 2 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- Van shuttles to support a variety of route options
- Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information
- Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
California's Wine Country is a desirable destination and some of our biking routes are popular with cyclists and drivers alike. While Backroads strives to find routes that are quiet and off the beaten track, some routes on this trip follow more heavily trafficked roads for a small portion of the ride. Of course, you're always welcome to jump in the shuttle to avoid the busier roads.