Backroads Media Center: 2017 Fact Sheet
Backroads, an active travel company, offers more than 2,600 scheduled departures in 2017, including Biking, Multisport, Walking & Hiking, Family, Family Breakaway and Private trips. Seventy-five percent of Backroads guests have traveled with Backroads before or were referred by a friend. Founded by Tom Hale in 1979, Backroads began as a small regional bike touring company, offering trips in the western United States and the Canadian Rockies and has grown to be the leading active travel company, with the most destinations, itineraries and annual departures in the active vacation industry.
Backroads offers 231 itineraries for all ages and abilities in 50 countries and territories around the world. Backroads vacations are fully supported with three leaders and two vans that serve as mobile refreshment and bike repair centers, and offer lifts to guests who'd like a rest. A trailer carries all luggage and gear, leaving travelers free to explore under their own power, light in load and spirit. Guests on Premiere Inn trips stay at luxurious five-star hotels and dine on award-winning cuisine. Backroads Casual Inn trips feature comfortable accommodations and meals at family-run eateries. Deluxe Camping trips are perfect for travelers who love the outdoors; they get to relax and socialize while Backroads Trip Leaders prepare delicious hearty meals and handle all of the camp chores.
Backroads offers exclusive departures for families and private groups.
Over 75 destinations worldwide, including 5 continents, 50 countries and territories, 4 Canadian provinces and 19 US states.
- Europe: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
- Latin America & the Caribbean: Bermuda and Costa Rica.
- Asia & the Pacific: Bali, Cambodia, Myanmar, New Zealand, Thailand and Vietnam.
- North America: Alaska, Alberta, British Columbia, California, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Nova Scotia, Oregon, Québec, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont and Washington.
- Europe: Croatia, France, Iceland, Italy, Montenegro, Spain and Switzerland.
- Latin America & the Caribbean: Argentina, Belize, Caribbean, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, Guatemala and Peru.
- Africa, Asia & the Pacific: : Bhutan, Botswana, India, Morocco, New Zealand and South Africa.
- North America: Alaska, Alberta, Arizona, British Columbia, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Montana, Québec, South Carolina, Utah, Washington and Wyoming.
Walking & Hiking Trips
- Europe: Austria, Croatia, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain and Switzerland.
- Latin America & the Caribbean: Argentina, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador and Peru.
- Asia & the Pacific: Bhutan, Cambodia, New Zealand and Vietnam.
- North America: Alaska, Alberta, Arizona, British Columbia, California, Hawaii, Montana, New Mexico, North Carolina, Nova Scotia, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wyoming.
We've always believed that our blend of special destinations, activities and cultural connections is the better way to see the world. But what really sets us apart is our unwavering attention to quality, and most importantly, our superlative leaders, easily the best in the world of active travel. Check out the Backroads Quality Guide and see what you can expect from us.
For more information contact Liz Einbinder.