The Hiring & Training Process
Step 1: The Application
- Fill in our simple online form This should take about 10 minutes. The application process is the same regardless of the position you are applying for (Trip Leader, Trip Prep Specialist, or Camp Crew).
- If selected to advance, we’ll invite you to complete a brief video introduction process. This will help us get to know you better than the bullets on a resume. Yes, one-way conversations with web-cams are awkward, but there's no need to worry about making mistakes. Sometimes it's those candid moments that win us over!
- Upload your driving record. You can do this any time after your application has been submitted. We know getting a driving record can be time consuming and we don’t want it to hold up your application review. Just be sure to upload it before attending a Hiring Event, if invited.
Step 2: The Interview
- A brief (15-20 minutes) live video interview after the hiring team has reviewed your application and chosen to move yours forward. We'll confirm your availability during our peak weeks (especially in June and September) and ask a few additional questions to help us get to know you better. Our interviews are lighthearted and we're cheering for you!
Step 3: The Hiring Event
- For those who progress past the interview stage, you'll be invited to one of our Hiring Events—one of the most memorable days in the career of every Backroads leader! The Hiring Event is a daylong group interview during which you will interact with other fun and engaging prospective candidates and Backroads staff in a variety of exercises that involve problem solving, teamwork, bike mechanics and a little bit of public speaking. For those who progress past the interview stage, this is the final step in the Backroads hiring process. It's casual, it's challenging, and you will definitely be laughing and having a whole lot of fun.
- In addition to Trip Leaders, we also look forward to hiring Trip Prep Specialist and Camp Crew during our Hiring Events. Sometimes, if we think it's a better fit, we'll offer these roles to Trip Leader applicants knowing they could transition to leading in future seasons.
Please note: The cost of travel to Hiring Events is paid by the applicant.
The Backroads Leadership Training Program
- Once hired, all new Backroads Field Staff attend our Leadership Training Program before entering the Field. For new leaders this training is two weeks in length and one week for new Camp Crew and Trip Prep Specialists. Training is hard work and a lot of fun. We focus on the essential skills required to be a successful at Backroads: guest service, leadership, problem solving, bike mechanics, public speaking, food preparation, driving, trailer maneuvering, internal systems, etc. If any of these are not necessarily your strengths, don't let that keep you from applying. We'll give you all the training you need to be successful.
- We also devote these training sessions to showing new Field Staff what it means to be the face of Backroads for guests around the world. It's a powerful time for personal and professional growth. We are regularly contacted by universities and businesses, and recently the TV show 60 Minutes, who are all curious about the philosophy and methods behind our unique and extremely successful approach. It's an intense but rewarding program! Many tell us that the friendships they make with their fellow new colleagues during this training process become some of the best friends they've ever had.
Please note: The cost of travel to the Backroads Leadership Training Program is paid by you; however, all further work-related travel is paid by Backroads, including flights to all the various regions of the world where you may be scheduled to work. During this training program, housing will be provided for you and you'll be compensated for your time.