Job Opportunities with Backroads
Bike Shop Coordinator
Salt Lake City, Utah
We currently have an opening at our Salt Lake City warehouse for a full-time Bike Shop Coordinator.
As a member of the Backroads Bike Shop team your job would include:
• Build a Strong Team – Hire, Train and manage Bike shop staff: Bicycle Shop Mechanics, trip leader assistants, and other staff, including conducting annual performance evaluations.
• Research, Test, & Specify bicycle components and bicycles for use on Backroads’ trips.
• Purchase bicycle parts, supplies, and tools based on projected needs, taking into account condition of current inventory and any repair or replacement.
• Maintain inventory of the Berkeley & Winter bicycle fleet. Oversee preparation of bicycles and trip supplies according to the unit departure and return schedule assisting in the physical bicycle maintenance & repair as needed. Coordinate & participate in the Domestic & International Roving Mechanic Program, overhauling bicycles in the field. Coordinate & conduct annual inventories.
• Train Field Staff – Oversee the planning and implementation of trip leader orientation and training, including instructional seminars, skills testing, manuals, and internal communications.
• Effectively Manage Vendors – Competitively source and bid parts & supplies as needed. Manage bill paying and processing. Create and maintain positive relationships with any related businesses and vendors.
• Provide Outstanding Customer Service – Manage customer service issues & special requests as necessary regarding the bicycles and bicycle equipment. The right candidate will be interested and motivated to work with others. We offer training in service, teamwork and conflict resolution to function as an integrated team with other departments at Backroads.
• Manage Sale of Used Bicycles – Create and manage a solid system to insure accurate control of receipts, thorough inventory reconciliation, high guest/customer satisfaction, and timely deliveries
We’re looking for a Bike Shop Coordinator who possesses these qualities:
• An amazing passion for bicycles and the sport of cycling.
• Proven Supervisory Skills with the ability to create an excellent work environment for the Bike Shop Team
• Takes pride in his/her work.
• Strongly oriented towards high quality customer service both externally (to the customer) and internally (delivering to field staff).
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent bicycle industry & service knowledge, including at least 3 years of bike shop/bicycle industry experience.
• Inventory Management experience.
• Fluent in Microsoft Office, Excel, & Word.
• Receptive to participate in trainings to develop interpersonal skills like conflict resolution, teamwork, communication and problem solving.
• Wholesale buying experience preferred.
• The ability to manage multiple tasks at one time and finish them on schedule.
• Ability to travel.
• Experience teaching and training basic bicycle mechanic programs a plus.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Enthusiastic about working for Backroads and have a passion for active travel and the outdoors.
Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) with employer match, flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, commuter incentive programs, etc. Backroads promotes work/life balance, and offers a fun, casual work environment. Travel for work purposes can be an added bonus, or modified for those who desire less.
To apply, please send a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads and describing your bike mechanic, touring, and/or racing experience along with your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Bike Shop Coordinator” in the subject line of your email or by fax to (510) 527-1789, Attn: HR/Bike Mechanic.
No phone calls please.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.