Job Opportunities with Backroads
Database Programmer (MS SQL)
Calling perfectionists everywhere! If you love systems, data integrity and well, perfection, then this job might be for you. And if you have all that and a passion for experiencing the world the way we do, then you should apply right now! Backroads is seeking a Database Programmer responsible for, among other things, supporting our in-house development staff, enhancing data integrity across all Backroads systems, and developing & improving documentation of our home grown SQL based applications. A successful candidate will have strong planning & time management skills, exceptional analytical and problem-solving abilities, and the technical skills (strong experience with T-SQL using MS SQL Server ) to become uber-productive in a short amount of time at Backroads. Understanding and conceptualizing applications from both a technical/programming perspective and a business user point of view is essential. Expect to become proficient with our application and database structures, effectively and clearly communicate with end-users, and provide clear and timely communication (both verbal and written) back to stakeholders. Bring what you do best and Backroads promises to provide an exceptional opportunity for you to work with the best, play with the best and be your best!
- Ensure Data Integrity using Microsoft SQL 2008 R2
- Fulfill requests for ad hoc database queries
- Investigate the source of data inconsistencies, fix and work with developers toward a proactive solution
- Gather and document technical requirements
- QA testing of our home-grown apps
- Perform other related duties and assignments as required
- 2 years of SQL Server 2008 or newer; T-SQL language
- Experience with SQL Server Integration and/or Reporting Services (SSIS & SSRS) desired
- Familiarity with Crystal Reports a plus
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced, fluid work environment
- Capable of working autonomously while staying motivated
- Ability to follow through with tasks to their completion
- Extremely organized and detail-oriented
- Proven high work productivity levels
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to work at a computer desk for prolonged periods of time and occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Enthusiastic about working for Backroads and have a passion for active travel and the outdoors.
- Undergraduate degree in computer science, management information systems, mathematics or related field
Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) with employer match, flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, commuter incentive programs, etc. Backroads promotes work/life balance, and offers a fun, casual work environment.
To apply, please complete and submit the skills assessment found here: http://survey.backroads.com/recruiting/SQL_SkillsAssessment.pdf along with a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads and your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Database Programmer” in the subject line of your email or by fax to (510) 527-1789, Attn: HR/Database Programmer.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.