Job Opportunities with Backroads
Programmer/ ASP.Net (VB.Net)/SQL Developer
Backroads, the world’s #1 active travel company, develops and runs first-class bicycling, walking and multisport vacations around the world. Our mission is to provide total guest satisfaction and superior results in all we do.
Day one. Step into the Backroads offices. You’ll be greeted by a creative, guest-focused, fun, fast-paced atmosphere. Working here, you’ll be on a team of bright and motivated individuals who share a common aim—to treat our guests to a totally unforgettable experience in a style of travel that is unparalleled in the travel industry.
So what makes us Backroads? Many wonderfully unique things, including:
• Our open work environment
• We work hard and play hard
• Company-organized outings, including annual staff rides, events and volunteer days
• Great travel and gear perks
• Vibrant startup atmosphere, yet the stability of being part of profitable 34-year old company
• Opportunities to grow
• A diverse and all-inclusive culture
Do you have what it takes to design, develop and support applications in a fun, yet fast, environment?
Backroads is a unique company requiring unique software applications to fit its business needs. The Backroads IT group supports a wide variety of creative custom and non-custom applications to serve internal and remote users as well as the general public. We are seeking to add to our dedicated group of IT professionals in order to extend the life cycle and effectiveness of our existing applications as well as actively participate in moving our applications into the future.
We’re looking for strong ASP.Net (VB.Net)/SQL developers to help us expand our customer portal (CMS) and internal systems. If you like working in a small team, are a self-starter, have imagination and like working with great people, for a great company then you’ll like working for Backroads.
• Teaming with our web designer, create and maintain a user-friendly customer portal (CMS)
• Analyze problems, gather requirements, and write code for solutions
• Develop in-depth understanding of in-house custom applications
• Design and develop new applications, as well as maintain current applications
• Lead the development effort on multi-user, multi-location applications
• Manage projects through the entire development life cycle
• Develop and manage automated scripts/batches to monitor data integrity
• Install releases and maintain installation documents
• Maintain technical documentation
• 5 years of experience designing/building applications using ASP.Net (VB.Net) applications with SQL (MS SQL 2008 R2 a plus)
• Hands-on experience with creating stored procedures
• Experience with Visual Studio 2010 is a plus
• Experience with TFS (Team Foundation Server) is a plus
• Knowledge and background with CMS software like DotNetNuke or Kentico is a plus
• Strong conceptual and design skills
• Ability to work as a productive, self-motivated team member and to produce under tight deadlines
• Experience working in a complex technical and organizational environment with strong attention to detail
• Strong oral and written communication and organizational skills
• Analytical and problem solving skills with hands-on, “get it done” attitude
• Self Starter, service oriented and ability to communicate with all levels of users
• B.S/M.S in Computer Science is a strong plus
• Ability to work at a computer desk for prolonged periods of time and occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, etc. Backroads promotes work/life balance and casual work attire.
To apply, please send your resume, a one page description of your most comparable accomplishment, and salary requirements by email to email@example.com with the subject line “Programmer” or by fax to (510) 292-2793, Attn: HR/IT. No phone calls please.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.