Job Opportunities with Backroads
SEO/SEM/Direct Marketing Manager
Backroads, the world’s #1 active travel company, develops and runs first-class bicycling, walking and multisport vacations around the world. Our mission is to provide total guest satisfaction and superior results in all we do.
Day one. Step into the Backroads offices. You’ll be greeted by a creative, guest-focused, fun, and fast-paced atmosphere. Working here, you’ll be on a team of bright and motivated individuals who share a common aim— to treat our guests to a totally unforgettable experience in a style of travel that is unparalleled in the travel industry.
So what makes us Backroads? Many wonderfully unique things, including:
• Our open work environment
• We work hard and play hard
• Company-organized outings, including annual staff rides, events and volunteer days
• Great travel and gear perks
• Vibrant startup atmosphere, yet the stability of being part of a profitable 34-year old company
• Opportunities to grow
• A diverse and all-inclusive culture
Who We Are Looking For
We are in search of a highly talented, hands-on SEO/SEM/Direct Marketing Manager who will work closely with the VP of Sales & Marketing and internal teams. In this crucial role, you will be responsible for a wide range of activities including developing SEO strategies, building and running successful search marketing campaigns, suggesting and optimizing landing pages, e-mail marketing segmentation, database segmentation and direct marketing execution, competitor analysis, and project management. This is an opportunity for an SEO/SEM/DM expert to have a major impact.
• Grow our keyword portfolio, manage the program with potentially tens of thousands of keywords and find new positive-ROI search venues to advertise in. This includes performing keyword research and competitor analysis, providing budget and traffic estimates and building PPC campaigns.
• Developing and continually expanding keyword lists.
• Writing titles and descriptions for paid search text ads.
• Organizing and managing paid search campaigns.
• Creating A/B testing scenarios for e-mail campaigns, analyzing results and suggesting changes
• Optimize our keywords portfolio through testing with ad copy, landing pages, bidding strategies, negative keywording, etc.
• Bid management and managing campaign budgets .
• Ensuring success against goals via ongoing optimization.
• Execution of direct mail plan.
• Ad hoc analyses.
• Track, report, and analyze your initiatives and campaigns.
• Develop your own solutions to improve our search engine marketing process.
• Stay current with new advances in search engine marketing and the competitive landscape.
• Strong applied analytics and raw intellectual firepower as well as a knack for design improvements to increase conversion. This strategic contributor will be comfortable using data to support marketing decisions; ability to garner intelligence and behavioral inferences from data; love working with data and have a demonstrated history of using data to improve results.
• Creative thinking. We’re looking for a self-motivated go-getter to dial up our search and direct marketing, always thinking of the appropriate considerations, opportunities, and tactics to enable speedy progress.
• Strong organizational skills and demonstrated attention to detail. This is a fast paced operation, in a high-growth phase, so it’s critical to successfully keep multiple balls in the air at once.
• Commitment and motivation. This person will singlehandedly be responsible for the success of the marketing programs that s/he manages.
• Curiosity — about email/database marketing developments, about what our competitors are doing, about how our guests/prospects think, about how our trips are presented, about what works for our audience.
• Strong communication skills; must be able to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
• Strong Excel skills and knowledge of SQL.
• Ability to work at a computer desk for prolonged periods of time and occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
Experience and Education Guidelines:
• Minimum of 4+ years business experience. A track record of delivering results is required. Past experience with targeted online marketing is a plus but not absolutely necessary. Experience in Direct Mail not required but a desire to learn is!
• 4 year degree in Business, Marketing, Finance, Economics, Mathematics, Engineering, or related areas of study or equivalent work experience
Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) with employer match, flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, commuter incentive programs, etc. Backroads promotes work/life balance, and offers a fun, casual work environment.
To apply, please send your resume, a one page description of your most comparable accomplishment, and salary requirements by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (please put “Search and Direct Marketing Manager” in the subject line of your email) or by fax to (510) 292-2793, Attn: HR/Search and Direct Marketing Manager. No phone calls please.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.