Backroads is the world’s leading premium active travel company. We believe in creating experiences on the road less traveled, and that exploring a landscape through your own power (via bike or hike) affords you an authentic connection. If you’re looking for an opportunity with an established company (we’ve been around for nearly 40 years) and like to work in dynamic environment with tightly-knit, collaborative and active team members, then, you’ve come to the right place.
The Marketing Writer will write compelling copy that meets strategic objectives for Backroads marketing communications, including catalogs, mailers, email newsletters, cover letters, web and ads.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Communicate our unique approach to travel and position Backroads as the leader in the market for each segment we operate in
• Strategize with company owner, head of marketing, marcom manager and segment/messaging owners on company messaging
• Collaborate across departments to create concepts and write copy for multi-channel touch points including direct mail, email, web and social
• Contribute to the development of competitive positioning for each trip
• Develop strategy and create special features, e.g. staff and trip leader profiles
• Present to Creative Directors and business partners, incorporating feedback
• Collaborate with brand and design teams
• Maintain – and evolve – the tone and voice for our company brand as Backroads grows and expands our trip/segment offering
• Create clear, compelling, persuasive content
• Other duties as necessary and assigned
THIS MAY BE THE IDEAL JOB FOR YOU IF:
• You’re experienced in ad copy writing and thrive on clever headlines
• You equally enjoy longer form writing, with nuanced and sensitive information
• Your writing strikes a balance between fun and professional
• You roll with the punches and don’t get deterred if it takes multiple rounds of edits to get final approval on a draft
• You can develop a new writing style
• You have an appreciation for a fast-paced environment and get the details right
KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES
• 4+ years copywriting experience at an advertising agency or in-house advertising/marketing group for B2C brands – consumer experience required
• Bachelor’s degree
• Portfolio of work is required for consideration
• Must have experience across diverse touchpoints – digital channels a must
• Experience working in various CMS systems
• Solid presentation skills
• Ability to approach work strategically
• Experience working with a creative partner(s)
• Role on-site, based in Berkeley, CA – no relocation offered
Backroads offers competitive salary plus excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) with employer match, flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, commuter incentive programs, etc. Backroads promotes work/life balance, and offers a fun, casual work environment.
To apply please send a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads along with your resume and salary requirements to email@example.com with “Marketing Writer – web” in the subject line of your email.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and Multi-Adventure trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.