HR Human Resources Generalist
Backroads is the world’s leading active travel company and we’re growing; simultaneously scaling our capacity to delight more guests, scaling the quality of what we deliver, and scaling our amazing company culture. We believe in creating experiences on the road less traveled. We think that exploring a landscape through your own power (bike or hike) affords you an authentic connection. We love a little luxury along the way, but not the affected kind. If you’re looking for an opportunity with an established company (we’ve been around for nearly 40 years) and like to work in a tightly knit, collaborative and dynamic environment where you’ll have ownership of your areas, then you’ll fit right in! This is a regular full time Berkeley, California-based role.
You are that perfect blend of process oriented, analytical thinker, and ‘people person’ who both thrives on human interaction and who is maniacal about the accuracy of your work. You have no fear of numbers and you crave to understand why you’re doing something vs. just doing it. You know the ins and outs of labor laws, benefits, and HR systems, and you understand the connection between the excellent support you provide to employees, and company culture. You’re one of those people who always knows the right thing to say when presented with a problem and you can deliver your response with calming confidence. You bring solid skills and experience to the job and you quickly become a go-to resource and partner to all levels of employees. You are accountable, take initiative, and people can always count on you to do a great job, no matter the task.
About the Job
At Backroads our people are our most cherished resource. In this newly created role, which reports to our Human Resources Manager, you will provide excellent support to our employees in a variety of areas (compensation, HRIS, benefits) in ways that make employees work lives better and easier to navigate. You work hard behind the scenes so that employees feel supported and perceive a smooth and seamless experience with the necessities of Human Resources administration. You’ll oversee many areas of HR compliance such that management and employees know you are the resident expert and you’ll provide the evidence (work product, reports, and communications) to support your expertise. You will also play a critical role in modernizing our HR and payroll systems to streamline and enhance the way employees and managers interact with these systems, while simultaneously gaining operational efficiencies.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conduct internal pay equity reviews, market salary research, COLA and CPI research
• Coordinate the annual pay increase process, serve as conduit for mid-year increases, coordinate bonus/base communications (annual and mid-year) and develop total compensation presentation (including benefits) for employees
• Participate in evolution of compensation, bonus, commissions and incentive programs (for both office employees and remote field staff).
• Perform semi-monthly payroll review/approval, ensure state payroll tax compliance and handle new registrations
• Conduct audits of worldwide payroll compared to proprietary leader payroll application (ATLAS)
• Train and serve as secondary payroll back-up.
• Develop processes and system to provide employee reimbursements via payroll
Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS)
• Research/recommend/implement systems/processes to streamline; payroll, benefits, compliance, time/attendance, and electronic employee data storage.
• Develop/conduct manager and HR department trainings on systems.
Insurance and Employee Benefits
• Workers compensation insurance – Work with Benefits Coordinator on; claims, audits, monthly billings, budgeting, return to work programs, wage audits, work restrictions and modified duties.
• Serve as safety officer; manage IIPP, ergonomics, disaster protocols, etc.
• Help Benefits Coordinator manage employee leave programs (FMLA, PFL, Disability, Maternity, etc.) and recommend/create/update policies, and employee communication pieces.
• Manage unemployment claims.
• Policy and compliance – coordinate employee handbook and other policy updates, implement/recommend best practices for office compliance (meal/rest period enforcement, exempt/non-exempt definitions, etc.)
• Assist with annual 401(k) audit, benefit plan compliance testing, and improve/create employee benefit related communication pieces.
• Assist Human Resources Manager with employee relation issues.
Reporting & General
• Coordinate various government reporting requirements; EEO1, OSHA Log 300, benefit filings, etc.
• Responsible for integrity of reporting of salary and bonus information, departmental payroll and preparation of payroll tax budget.
• Produce Management reporting of key metrics (FTEs, tenure, turnover, etc.)
• Keep abreast of new practices and technologies to stay knowledgeable about novelty in your field and our industry.
• Perform special assignments, research projects, and prepare focused analyses as needed.
EXPERIENCE & REQUIRED SKILLS
• Minimum of 3 to 5 years of human resources experience in a growing, mid-size company with a strong focus on payroll, compensation, HRIS, workers comp and leave management. Multi-state experience required.
• Strong working knowledge and understanding of California, Utah, and Federal labor laws. International labor law experience (particularly Canada and France) helpful, but not required.
• Successful candidate must have exceptional analytical, problem solving, and budgeting skills, strong business acumen, be incredibly detail oriented, and a self-starter who successfully sees projects through to completion.
• Advanced knowledge of HRIS/payroll systems and how to best leverage them. Prior experience with multiple platforms preferred.
• Proficiency with MS Office and intermediate Excel skills required.
• Good working knowledge of accounting principles.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• BS or BA with emphasis in HR, Accounting or Business, or comparable work experience.
• SPHR or similar certification preferred.
• Ability to work at a computer desk for prolonged periods of time.
• Enthusiastic about working for Backroads and have a passion for active travel and the outdoors.
Competitive salary plus excellent benefits package including comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) with employer match, flex plan, generous time-off and travel benefits, commuter incentive programs, etc. Backroads promotes work/life balance, and offers a fun, casual work environment.
To apply, please send a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads along with your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “HR Generalist – web” in the subject line of your email.
No phone calls please.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and Multi-Adventure trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.