REPORTS TO: IT DIRECTOR
Backroads is the world’s leading active travel company and we’re growing—simultaneously scaling our capacity to delight more guests, scaling the quality of what we deliver, and scaling our amazing company culture. We believe in creating experiences on the road less traveled. We think that exploring a landscape through your own power (bike or hike) affords you an authentic connection. We love a little luxury along the way, but not the affected kind. If you’re looking for an opportunity with an established company—we’re now in our 40th year!—and you like working in a tightly knit, collaborative, and dynamic environment where you’ll have ownership of your areas, you’ll fit right in!
You are a senior IT technical manager with experience in implementing complex commercial off-the-shelf ERP software packages, as well as developing full SDLC-based applications using modern software engineering practices. Your experience comprises multiple development methodologies including chaotic (non-formal), waterfall, Agile, etc. Your technical experience includes in-depth knowledge of one or more integrated development environments/frameworks such as VisualStudio/.Net, modern programming languages such as Python, C#, Java, SQL, and n-tier web-based application/database architectures.
You are a self-starter, action-oriented, detail-oriented and have the ability to solve problems, multi-task, prioritize, and meet deadlines. You are a strong leader of people and teams; able to delegate, motivate, celebrate, advocate and also make tough decisions when necessary. You have worked in a collaborative and flat organization where influence is critical to success, and you excel at asking questions that illuminate barriers to implementation and then identifying and executing solutions. You delight in collaborating cross-functionally and resolving challenging technical, resource, and schedule issues in a fast-paced environment. You are flexible and can adapt your style and management techniques to include the variety of approaches used by Backroads and our vendors. Above all else you are a people person, with the ability to work effectively with staff at all levels from administrative to senior management, and junior developers to experienced technical staff.
About the Job
Backroads is rolling out a portfolio of new enterprise systems to optimize our business as we continue to evolve and grow through innovation, increasing our capacity, improving the quality of the experiences we deliver, and evolving our people and how we work together. At the same time we are evolving our IT team into a high functioning service organization; supporting business growth and user needs. You will assume a leadership position within a talented engineering team implementing several enterprise systems impacting most areas of the business, all within a compressed timeframe. In this role, you will oversee the technical engineering team and support all system development, implementation, and deployment activities. You will be developing new IT processes & standards and/or refining existing ones to ensure Backroads’ IT products delivered to the organization are of consistently high quality, launched on time, and meet the organization’s overall business goals.
While collaborating across multiple teams within IT, your primary role will be to manage the engineering team, specifically to drive the requirements, solutioning, and implementation of IT initiatives on Backroads’ current technology platforms.
• Evaluate design proposals from engineers to assure the right technical solutions are implemented
• Manage the work of a team of professionals; including prioritization of system enhancements, balancing the allocation of team effort between new systems and maintenance & operations support for legacy applications
• Hire, train, develop, and monitor performance for direct staff for success. Make recommendations for resource optimization.
• Provide portfolio management of technical initiatives including Total Cost of Ownership, technical feasibility and suitability, business cost/benefit, and risk analyses
• Devise and establish IT policies and processes aligned with Backroads’ overall business strategy and objectives
• Monitor and evaluate the use of hardware and software tools (versions, compatibility, etc) required by your team, to identify and recommend upgrades and improvements as needed to ensure adequate functionality and efficiency
• Develop relationships with external suppliers and internal stakeholders to create cost-efficient software and services agreements
• 7+ years’ experience as Head of IT Engineering or Software Development Manager, directly managing small- to medium-size teams of developers, QA/testers, DBAs, and other technical staff, providing technical mentorship, talent development, and performance management
• 10+ years’ experience in analysis, development, implementation, and maintenance of IT systems using waterfall, Agile, and other methodologies
• 5+ years’ experience managing teams of 5-10 technical personnel, including technical mentorship, talent development, and performance management
• 5+ years’ experience managing IT budgets
• 5+ years’ experience integrating multiple applications and systems using techniques such as enterprise services bus, load balancing, and ETL
• 5+ years’ experience across a broad spectrum of application types, including workflow, CRUD, BI/analytics/decision support, ERP, ecommerce, social networking, financial, and HRMS systems
• Expert knowledge of modern software engineering practices including requirements definition, technical specification, programming, secure coding practices, unit/functional/integration testing, source code control, and software configuration management
• Expert knowledge of technology architecture components—PCs/mobile devices, servers, virtualization, IP networking, operating systems, user authentication/access control, database management systems, and internet services, for both on-premises and SaaS application delivery models
• Excellent organizational, management, communications, and leadership skills
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or relevant field
• Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering
• Experience as a Project Manager or Business Analyst leading system development or software package implementation projects in an entrepreneurial environment
• Experience working in a project environment where internal technical staff are blended with external technical and project management consultants
• Experience working in an IT organization supporting a medium-size services company undergoing rapid growth and transformation
• Development and delivery of mobile applications
• Development experience on the Force.com platform (APEX, Lightning, Visualforce, etc.)
• Hands-on experience with Atlassian collaboration tools (JIRA, Confluence)
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and Multi-Adventure trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.