Who We Are Seeking
An essential part of our Creative Services team, the Production Artist supports and implements creatives for both print and digital deliverables. Our perfect candidate has exceptional attention to detail and a command of print & web production and workflow.
The role requires a natural problem solver who will find new ways to best construct templates—expediting production without compromising quality.
Production & Design
• Create, populate and optimize InDesign templates for print pieces (catalogs/posters/postcards/brochures/direct mail) based on concepts/direction from Creative Director, Senior Designer and Designer
• Work with copywriters/proofer to create error-free deliverables—entering & reviewing edits
• Follow a development timeline to ensure tasks are being completed on time
• Troubleshoot problems as they arise with the creative team, digital team &/or the printer
• Create PDFs for print and review
• Manage handoffs to printer–Package and preflight files for release to printers or media partners. Uploads/downloads via FTP
• Review printer proofs
• Archive and reference art for future projects
Imagery—Archiving & Production
• Conducts photo research and image selection based on Backroads standards using in-house digital library in combination with stock agencies
• Leads the quality assurance process for product designs by ensuring photography (guest/employee/stock/pr) is delivered to the image staging server; ensures images meet or exceed imagery brand standards and site requirement ratings; identifies and troubleshoots image issues; recommends resolutions to management for approval; and implements corrective actions
• Ensures customer and stakeholder satisfaction with product imagery; tracks and ensures fulfillment of imagery requests; ensures on-time delivery. From selection to photo editing to color optimization. Processes images by developing and implementing Adobe Photoshop actions and scripts and color profiles; performs post-production product image retouching (e.g., color consistency, lighting and shadowing, orientation); creates clipping paths, transparencies, crops and resizes image files
• Ensures maintenance of image production workflow tools (for example, content management system, automation, tracking) by ensuring digital images travel through appropriate channels (e.g., local directories, automation servers, final staging servers, archives/DAM) throughout the image life-cycle; and tracks images to ensure they are loaded to the site according to project plans. Prepare final press-ready files based on supplied specifications for several types of printing
Skills and Experience
• Proficient in full Adobe Creative Suite—Advanced level InDesign & Photoshop skills essential
• Strong working knowledge of Excel, Word, Acrobat
• Professional experience in 4 color print process and digital processes (web/video/social media standards/email campaigns/basic HTML5)
• Some DAM/Photo Library and CMS required—Extensis Portfolio/Portfolio Express experience a plus
• Equally capable of working as part of a team or independently
• Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design/Design & Communications or related
• 3 years professional experience in photo and image production or related field
• 2 years’ experience working with content management systems and workflow tools.
• Strong portfolio highlighting history of Graphic Design experience with best-of samples of design collateral
• Enthusiastic about working for Backroads and have a passion for active travel and the outdoors.
Please send a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads along with your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Production Artist – web” in the subject line of your email.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and Multi-Adventure trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.