Backroads is the world’s leading premium active travel company. We believe in creating experiences, and that exploring a landscape through your own power (via bike or hike) affords you an authentic connection. If you’re looking for an opportunity with an established company (we’ve been around for nearly 40 years) and like to work in dynamic environment with a tightly-knit, collaborative and active team members, then, you’ve come to the right place.
You are a hands-on creative, skilled and passionate about both leading how our brand comes to life, as much as leading the design team. Backroads is on a journey to upgrade our guest experience, especially our digital footprint. We are looking for a creative leader to embrace a “digital-first” mindset with a clear creative vision and strong collaboration skills to lead this effort. This role is responsible for developing and executing the creative vision for the brand across ALL touchpoints including our catalogs/direct mail, website, apps, marketing channels and partner initiatives.
Our Ideal Candidate:
• Culture – as the leader of our brand look and feel, appreciation and passion for our core attributes and culture are critical. You are actively involved in an active lifestyle and are passionate about fitness. You are a positive people-person.
• 10+ years in creative/design roles, 5+ years in managing creative. Consumer brand experience is a must-have. Plus for experience which includes active, travel or fitness categories.
• BA degree required, preferably in digital, art, design or related field or an equivalent combination of experience and knowledge, skills and abilities.
• Deep understanding of and experience in a wide-range of creative functions — photography, video, art & copy, print, collateral, direct mail, interactive/web design (particularly UX) and strong project management.
• Collaborate effectively as a creative partner and brand consultant with internal business leads, Proven partnership cross-functionally.
• Share best practices and innovative creative solutions from the design/competitive landscape with a continuous pulse on current trends and noteworthy activities.
• Skilled in Adobe Suite: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat, as well as Microsoft Suite. Strong knowledge of HCI and UX literature, current standards, best practices and emerging technologies.
• Strong offline experience – proven command of print mediums, primarily direct mail/catalog.
• Core interaction design capabilities, exhibited in wireframes, documentation, and prototypes.
• Strong ability to think visually and guide visual designers as it pertains to visual language decision and rationale.
• Experience in working with technologists in order to understand the benefits, possibilities and constraints of common coding languages and platforms. Actual coding experience is a plus.
You Will (Your Mission):
• Set our brand look, feel and voice – and continually evolve it to stay relevant.
• Have passion for telling rich stories, and you have a track record of doing so – with sales outcome in mind.
• Provide short and long-term strategic support and insights for our evolving contact strategies across touch points (including sales).
• Continuously promote and evolve the Brand Style Guide to drive brand consistency across channels.
Mentor & Lead a Creative, Image & Copy Organization
• You will help identify the right inputs, have a POV a about how to create and improve our process and implementation.
• Build and implement a process with our internal Creative Studio to ensure that key assets are created and executed for all touch points, with on-time and on-budget delivery.
• You know how a great creative process works, and you can bring that experience and discipline to our team.
• Define the writing process to find efficiencies and drive quality and consistency – bring our brand voice to life. Evolve our production team to becoming a writing team across all touch points.
• Lead and develop our Creative team – a team of designers, production designers, image/video editors and copywriters to translate brand strategy into breakthrough creative across our ecosystem.
• Promote a high performance, fun environment, a strong sense of urgency, quality standards, creative exploration, innovation, and continuous learning.
• Create a cohesive team dynamic which makes the environment fun, learning and innovative.
Backroads is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and Multi-Adventure trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.