Backroads is the world’s leading active travel company and we’re growing: simultaneously scaling our capacity to delight more guests, scaling the quality of what we deliver and scaling our amazing company culture. We believe in creating experiences on the road less traveled. We think that exploring a landscape through your own power (bike or hike) affords you an authentic connection. We love a little luxury along the way, but not the affected kind. If you’re looking for an opportunity with an established company (we’ve been around for nearly 40 years) and like to work in a tightly knit, collaborative and dynamic environment where you’ll have ownership of your areas, then you’ll fit right in! This is a regular full-time Berkeley, California-based role.
You are insanely connected to local talent networks and make a point of being in the right places with the right people who reflect the talent you are cultivating. You can quickly become an internal and external ambassador for Backroads because you live and breathe the active lifestyle we cherish and promote. People are your ‘thing’ and yet you know the ins-and-outs of the hard skills required for a myriad of technical and business roles. You are a leader with a passion for building high-caliber teams, evolving company organizational structures, bringing out the best in people to help them succeed in fast-growing companies where people must walk the talk. You are known for being a “go-to” partner.
About the Job
As our Talent Manager, you will directly manage all aspects of talent procurement and development (both internal and external) for Backroads. Your efforts will result in robust pipelines of talent for our Trip Leaders as well as office positions for our North American logistics hub in Salt Lake City and our Berkeley headquarters. In this newly created role, you will have significant influence in enhancing our world-class company culture and growing our talent base.
Your primary focus will be to partner with the hiring leaders to ensure we are attracting and hiring bright, kind and goal-oriented talent. The Talent Manager role will be responsible for driving the full life cycle of recruiting, including sourcing and coordination. You will need to understand all aspects of the Backroads business in order to be a thought leader on all things talent. You will report to and be supported by our Director of Leaders and Logistics in our Salt Lake City Office and you will collaborate closely with our Berkeley-based Quality and HR Administration teams.
We believe that supporting our most prized resource, our people, and the development of talent is job #1, so in addition to recruiting, we are looking for this role to lead talent development at Backroads. Talent development includes training, performance management, professional development and mentorship.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Bring to the role and further develop a network of referrals to source open positions with an eye to ensuring our team reflects our diverse community
• Use networking opportunities such as local community groups or professional associations to identify referrals for qualified candidates
• Recruitment includes focus on future needs of the business and succession planning
• Perform queries and searches in Applicant Tracking databases for qualified candidates
• Search the internet using search engines, user groups or blogs and other creative techniques to find qualified candidates
• Source and screen candidates, sometimes utilizing video application platforms
• Partner with remote managers for global recruiting process execution
• Partner with internal hiring teams on employer branding, hiring and interviewing best practices, and pipeline management
• Working with internal hiring teams, manage the full cycle of talent acquisition from job creation to offer acceptance
• Manage recruiting budget
• Leverage low recruiting periods to develop road maps and frameworks for performance management, training and leadership development
• Develop best practices for performance management, including goal development, monitoring and evaluation
• Lead management efforts to continually evolve the company organization structure to support growth initiatives
• Partner with managers to track and improve performance, and identify weaknesses
• Build a road map for mentorship, training and first-time and on-going manager skills development
• Perform skills assessments in order to build and maintain reserves of internal and external prospects for business-critical positions at Backroads
• Recommend, develop, implement and measure training programs to get employees to full contribution sooner, address weaknesses, and to support job transition plans
Skills and Experience
• Minimum of 5 years in talent acquisition and have a robust track record of success direct sourcing roles
• BA/BS required
• Deep functional understanding of talent acquisition and a pro at navigating recruiting in the competitive Bay Area job market
• Able to influence others across all types of roles and skill sets
• Hands-on experience utilizing applicant tracking systems and able to develop job requirements
• Passion and experience in talent development with a point of view about how to develop a road map for performance management and talent development
• Ability to quickly adapt to, embody and express Backroads unique company culture to prospects
Please send a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads along with your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Talent Manager – web” in the subject line of your email.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and Multi-Adventure trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.