Financial & Budget Analyst
WHAT YOU’LL DO
In this newly created role, which reports to our Vice President of Finance, you will be working on a variety of company-wide initiatives, and you will provide accurate and data-based information on the company’s current and future profitability. You will research and analyze financial information to help Backroads be more profitable, make well informed decisions, and you’ll write reports and monitor financial movements. You’ll assist in the development of short and long range financial and budgetary data; provide analysis, advice, and counsel regarding finance and budget matters; participate in budget planning processes; monitor revenue and spending as assigned; prepare reports, and contribute to projects such as those related to benchmarking and process improvement.
HOW YOU WORK
You love puzzles and are obsessed with quality, the details and achieving targets. You take ownership and are always looking for ways to grow and improve. You excel in a collaborative environment and are a strong communicator.
ROLES & RESPONSIBLITIES
Broad Analysis and Reporting
• Refine and optimize existing performance reports into cohesive dashboards and/or develop new reporting metrics that communicate financial performance, and improve transparency and understanding of financial information. Prepare financial reports, charts, tables and other exhibits as requested.
• Analyze, measure and report current and past performance against targets, budgets, forecasts, strategic plans, and other benchmarking data, and use your analysis to prepare reports and develop robust forecasting models.
• Identify trends in financial performance using financial analysis techniques, tools, and concepts. Provide actionable insights and recommendations to drive profitability, and include areas for opportunity and improvement.
• Provide robust ROI computations for proposed projects and purchases such that management can make well informed investment decisions.
Budgeting & Forecasting
• Develop robust drivers, and prepare periodic multi-year financial budgets, forecasts, and strategic plans both for the company and individual departments, by gathering from systems and departmental managers, statistical and financial data, policy and procedural information.
• Consult with management to guide and influence long term and strategic decision making within the broadest scope.
• Assist department managers in interpreting financial and budget reports, analyzing data, planning budgets and in projecting costs on existing, proposed new, or expanded programs.
• Drive process improvement and policy development initiatives. Take direction and initiative to investigate and report any inconsistencies or improprieties. Analyze data to ensure proper procedures have been followed. Identify non-value added processes within the company and seek solutions.
Specific Analysis Responsibilities
• Evaluate capital expenditures and depreciation in order to report on and support cash management, budget and purchase activities.
• Provide analysis on foreign exchange hedging activities, monitor markets and recommend hedging actions to protect and enhance company margins.
• Participate in compensation management and annual incentive compensation payments. Provide financial and analytical support for the incentive compensation accounting and forecasting processes. Respond to ad-hoc projects related to incentive compensation program.
Financial Systems and Other
• Assist with finance information system upgrades and implementations of new modules/tools as it relates to your role.
• Keep abreast of new practices and technologies to remain informed about novelty in your field and our industry.
• Perform special assignments, research projects, and prepare focused analyses as needed.
EXPERIENCE & REQUIRED SKILLS
• 5+ years of proven experience as a financial analyst.
• Requires bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, statistics, economics, business administration or another related field. MBA, CFA preferred.
• Thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and well informed in current financial subjects, tax laws, money market and business environments.
• Proven knowledge of financial forecasting and diagnosis, corporate finance and information analysis
• Must have extremely strong MS Excel skills, and be proficient with, databases, MS Office and financial software applications; Expert-level analytical and financial modeling skills, and hands on experience with statistical analysis
• Understanding of enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems, the Force.com platform and related technologies
• In-depth knowledge of data analytical systems, including SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
• Knowledge of procedural controls and data integrity/validation techniques required
• Outstanding presentation, reporting and communication skills (written and verbal)
• Maturity, professionalism, and high level of discretion are required; strategic thinking, ability to influence and persuade, and ability to interact with Senior Management
• Excellent time management, organizational skills, and attention to deadlines and details
• Strong work ethic with a positive, can-do attitude, and commitment to achieving goals
• Independent worker and analytical thinker with ability to conduct research, data analysis and resolve complex problems
Please send a cover letter explaining why you think you’d be a great fit for Backroads along with your resume and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Financial & Budget Analyst – web” in the subject line of your email.
As the world's #1 active travel company, Backroads offers more bicycling, walking, hiking and multisport trips around the world than any other company. We are a service-oriented organization composed of high-energy individuals with varied backgrounds who enjoy people, travel and the outdoors.