• slidebg1

    FAQs for Families with Kids 9-19

FAQs for Families with Kids 9-19 Years Old

Traveling Companions

On our Family Trips for Teens & Kids (9-19), we also welcome kids 4+. Our Family Trips are designed with all ages in mind and offer kid-appropriate routes and activities as well as longer options for adults and teens while kids are in the company of our Kids Activity Expert. If there is an activity with an age restriction to participate (rafting, kayaking, rock climbing and horseback riding for example), one parent will need to opt out to remain with the child. You can find specific kids' bike and activity age restrictions here. Please note that we do have a minimum age requirement of 4 years old for all trips.

Yes, just ask your Trip Consultant to give you the breakdown for the trip and date you're considering. Please keep in mind this information may change before your trip departs.

Daily Logistics

We know from our own experience that families need a balance of time together and time apart. Each day of your trip will feature specific activities designed just for teens and kids, giving grown-ups a chance for adult-only time. These activities typically take place a couple of hours before dinner and on two days the activity may take most of the day, depending on what we're up to—but the themes will always be adventure and fun!

You'll have some time on your own when special activities for teens and kids are scheduled. We typically plan one to two separate half-day activities for teens and kids when the hiking or biking is more challenging, or if there's a cultural experience, wine tasting, shopping or a luxurious spa for adults to enjoy, without kids. And, of course, when there's something spectacular for the kids to do!

Leaders & Safety

Our Trip Leaders are the most carefully selected and rigorously trained in the travel business. For Family Trips, we look for leaders who like, respect and want to be around teens and kids. Equipped with a wealth of entertaining and educational resources, our leaders are experts at creating a comfortable, safe and fun environment. They can communicate at teens'/kids' level, see the world through their eyes and have the energy to keep pace with even the most active. Each day of your trip, one Trip Leader will be completely dedicated to the role of Kid Activity Expert. Please note that Trip Leaders do not provide childcare outside of specific kids' activities

Lodging & Meals

The Premiere Hotels we select for our Family Trips are distinctive properties with comforts to please even the most discerning travelers—and they also enthusiastically welcome families. They offer amenities such as swimming pools to appeal to the kids, and the finer touches parents appreciate. In Europe, dinners are often on the longer side (but you can often opt for family room service). Our trips with Casual Hotels typically provide a more informal environment, shorter dinners and a welcome retreat for relaxing and sharing stories about the day's adventures.

Getting into nature and off the grid sets the stage for quality time together as a family. It also provides ample opportunities for kids to get to spend time with other kids and leaders before and after dinner, while adults enjoy some grown-up time. As parents, all the camp chores, meal and equipment needs are handled so you can enjoy camping as much as the kids.

Rooming options are dependent upon individual hotels. Typically we can arrange for single, double or triple rooms on all Family Trips. A triple room often means 2 beds for parents with 1 child. In some cases, a triple room may include 3 beds, or 2 beds and a rollaway or fold-out sleepers. In some European hotels with smaller rooms, triples may not be feasible at all. On occasion we may use a high quality pull out sofa as a twin bed option for kids.

Once you make a specific request to your Trip Consultant, we will make every effort to secure rooms that connect, are adjacent, or are at least near one another or located on the same floor. Hotels will be advised of your request and Trip Leaders will follow up with hotels about special requests prior to check-in. Please note that connecting rooms are not available in the majority of our hotels, particularly in Europe.

Children under the age of 18 must be booked in the same room as the accompanying adult.

We know that kids may have special tastes, so we make sure that our meals cater to their varied palates without sacrificing yours or your aspiring foodies. You and your family will find freshly made, healthy and delicious food on our picnics as well as quality cuisine with good kid options at our hotels.

On many trips, we plan for one night where adults and kids dine separately. While you enjoy adult conversation, our leaders plan a fun night out filled with great eats and activities for the kids. And if you'd prefer to eat as a family we can accommodate that for you too.

Important Documentation for Traveling Internationally with Kids

If you are not the parent or legal guardian of the child you're traveling with, or you're the only parent traveling with your child, you need to have a consent letter from the non-accompanying parent(s)/legal guardian(s) authorizing travel. (This is in addition to proof of the child's citizenship.)

Depending on your country of origin, and your trip destination, passports are necessary. It is your sole responsibility to be sure you have the correct documentation for all travel. If you are applying for a new passport or renewing an expired passport, please allow sufficient time to have your family member's passports processed. Passports issued to minors under the age of 16 are set to expire every 5 years. Some countries require that a traveler's passport be valid for at least 6 months beyond the dates of the trip. Check your expiration dates carefully! Not having proper ID and proof of citizenship may prevent you from re-entering the United States. You may find helpful information about obtaining passports for minors on the US State Department's website: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/under-16.html.

US citizens can also refer to www.state.gov or the applicable foreign consulate for further details.