Fundraising Auctions: Backroads Policies
We're able to contribute to a great number of worthwhile causes by partnering with community groups in their fundraising auctions. In previous years, we donated trips as auction prizes to approximately 150 organizations. If your organization would like fundraising support from Backroads, please read the following information and submit our Request for Donation form detailing your organization's mission and event specifications. Please Note: We are happy to consider participating in live auctions; however, fundraising silent auctions and raffles are not eligible.
To receive a Backroads "Trip for Two" fundraising auction item, your organization must agree to the following:
- Print the Backroads logo on the event invitation, auction program, website and any promotional materials
- Include the following copy with the auction item description:
"Contact Backroads at 800-GO-ACTIVE or www.backroads.com to order a free catalog"
- Include the following restrictions with the auction item description:
"Non-transferable. Subject to availability. For trip cancellations within 30 days of departure, 100% of the trip credit will be forfeited. Cancellations 31-60 days prior to departure will result in forfeiture of 60% of the trip credit. Cancellations 61-95 days prior to departure will result in forfeiture of 30% of the trip credit."
- Receive Backroads copy approval on all promotional materials prior to final printing
- Provide final sample of all promotional materials to Backroads
- Print the total retail value of a trip for two on all promotional materials
- Set the minimum bid at no less than 75% of the total retail value of the trip for two
- If for any reason the trip sells for less than 75% of the retail value, the organization is responsible for paying the difference
- Provide payment for one Backroads trip at the total retail value
- Payment must be received within 7 days following the event
- With payment, indicate the final sale price of the trip and actual number of attendees
- Contact Backroads immediately if the trip is not sold. Within 14 days of the event, return the congratulatory certificate, invoice and a sample of the event program. If the trip is not sold, your organization is not obligated to pay Backroads for one trip. Separate requests must be made for separate events; the donation cannot be carried over to other events.
In return, Backroads agrees to:
- Donate one Backroads trip
- Send Backroads brochures and a tabletop display to exhibit at the event
- Supply trip copy and a camera-ready Backroads logo for printing on all promotional materials (invitation, auction list, brochures, flyers, T-shirts, etc.)
- Provide a presentation folder for the trip winner including a congratulatory certificate and a Backroads catalog
- Backroads offers only one trip donation to each organization per year.
- All payments must be made through the organization; the winner is not permitted to pay Backroads directly for the trip.
- There is to be no modification to the trip donation as outlined in the contract without Backroads consent.
- Auction committee members and those associated with the organization are not eligible to win the Backroads trip.
- If winners select a trip of lesser value, no refund will be given.
- If the price of the awarded trip increases, the winners will be required to pay the difference.