Backroads Photo & Video Contests: Tips & Specs
Photo Contest Guidelines
Can you shoot like a pro? Our professional photographers adhere to the following technical specifications. If you don't have the necessary equipment to meet the specs below, that's okay. Simply submit JPEG files shot in or saved as the highest quality your camera will allow.
- JPEG files
- Shot in or saved as the highest quality / least amount of compression
- Format option set to "baseline optimized"
- Adobe 98 color space (not SRGB color space)
- 8-bit file
- From a minimum of a 6 mega-pixel camera
Video Contest Guidelines
Your videos can be as simple or as elaborate as you wish! They can be as short as 5 seconds or as long as 2 minutes (but no longer). Your submissions can be unedited short clips, or put your filmmaking skills into action and send us an edited short film (2 minutes max) complete with a soundtrack. Please submit video in HD resolution. Although we will accept older SD video (standard definition), your video will look best in HD. We are able to use just about any format—common video files are .mov, .avi, and .mp4; we also accept professional formats such as AVCHD and others. Any music or audio within your video submission must be your own original work, or royalty free material that you have obtained a license for, or music that is in the public domain. It is not ok to use copyrighted material (such as your favorite song from your favorite band or artist).
For some ideas of short clips:
- Activity shots... biking, hiking, walking, shopping, kayaking, rafting.
- Shots of leaders and guests interacting and socializing with each other and with the locals.
- Shots of your leaders in action—setting up an incredible picnic, delivering the morning route rap, doing bike mechanics, etc.
- Interviews and testimonials from guests and leaders... glowing, honest endorsements of Backroads.
- Be creative... send us whatever proves your vacation was the trip of a lifetime.
Enter the Contests Now
Submit your photos and/or videos.