"Slowly in the morning and not too fast in the afternoon" is a saying in the south of France. When you're never far from a delicious Côtes du Luberon or Catalan wine, an exquisite meal and intoxicating scenery, they're easy words to live by. So feel free to stop, sample and savor. Wander leisurely in Provence, through the countryside and within the ramparts of medieval villages perchés. Marvel at Costa Brava's white-sand beaches and brilliant Mediterranean waters. Linger in artisanal shops, sip a pastis and sample delectable cuisine. And enjoy the magic of two sun-soaked lands at two blissful speeds. Slowly and not too fast.
Day 1 Walk in the wild and ruggedly beautiful Luberon Valley, land of honey, lavender and cherries Spectacular scenery surrounds you—the views of Mont Ventoux, with its distinctive bald white peak, are especially memorable.
Day 2 Explore the picture-book streets of hilltop Bonnieux with a local guide Hike the wooded rolling hills and craggy cliffs of the Grand Luberon range, an area renowned for its truffles The ruins of medieval Fort de Buoux, perched on a high plateau, invite a stroll.
Day 3 A private tasting of the best local vintages Amble through a landscape of limestone hills, olive orchards and vineyards Cross a Roman-built bridge to Roussillon Follow Grand Randonnée trails past wheat fields, oak forests and a truffle farm It's a hearty climb to the perched village of Gordes.
Day 4 Discover the charming artists' haven of St-Rémy at its vibrant best on market day Seasonal fruits and vegetables, a multitude of cheeses, cut flowers, eggs, home-baked breads, olives, honey…there's something truly special about wandering amid the abundance of farm-fresh produce and lovingly crafted local goodies at le marché Travel to the Costa Brava by private coach.
Days 5-6 Walk Spain's ancient Camí de Ronda, which connects Costa Brava's secluded coves Find your bliss amid this incredible setting of plunging cliffs and white-sand beaches Ascend to a promontory offering glorious views of the sea.
- Walk in the wild and ruggedly beautiful Luberon Valley
- Private tasting of the best local vintages
- A landscape of limestone hills, olive orchards and vineyards
- Discover the charming and thriving artists' haven of St-Rémy
- Hike from one secluded cove to another on Costa Brava's ancient Camí de Ronda
Le Roy Soleil (2 nights): You are sure to feel connected to nature at this lovely hotel nestled in the Luberon mountain range. (pool)
Hôtel Gounod (1 night): This cheery hotel set in the heart of town has hosted artists such as van Gogh and Frédéric Mistral, and Charles Gounod, who composed the opera Mireille during his stay. (pool)
Hotel Sant Roc (2 nights): Splendid views are yours to admire at this hotel, perched magnificently above the Mediterranean in the heart of Costa Brava.
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Provençal Market Visit in St-Rémy|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 5/10-15 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/24-29 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/14-19 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/28-7/3 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/12-17 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/26-31 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/16-21 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/6-11 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/13-18 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/20-25 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/27-10/2 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/4-9 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/11-16 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/18-23 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $550 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,098 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,098 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,498 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
My whole life is changed because of this experience. I've just been home for an hour or so, and have already emailed everyone I know to tell them to get on the Backroads website to book a trip.- Chicago, IL
This was my first experience with Backroads and it exceeded my expectations by a mile! I loved every aspect of this trip; the attention to detail, the route, food and above all the two leaders who were exceptional! You guys rock! What a wonderful experience. Professional, enriching and challenging all at the same time.- Toronto, Canada