One of the warmest places on earth. Where sleepy fishing villages huddle close in hidden coves. And hardy, friendly folks invite you to linger awhile in the brisk ocean air. The rocky shorelines practically pose for your photos. The hotels still have the character of centuries past. Unbelievably fresh seafood and locally grown fruit and vegetables reveal their preparer's love of the land and of the sea. And award-winning wines tempt you at every turn. Can a week-long trip add years to your life? In Nova Scotia, it's not hard to imagine.
Days 1-2 Tasting, tour and dinner at Domaine de Grand Pré winery Walk along a historic dike system to the Grand Pré National Historic Site Hike atop the jaw-dropping Red Cliffs of Cape Blomidon and take in views of patchwork farmland and stunning seascapes Stand in awe of Minas Basin and the wild Bay of Fundy, home of the world's highest tides.
Day 3 White-sand beaches and historic fishing hamlets Kejimkujik Seaside Adjunct has it all: coastal tundra forests, salt marshes and bogs, and pristine seashore Like catching rays? Harbor seals do too - see them sunning at Harbour Rocks.
Day 4 World Heritage-status Lunenburg, "the best surviving example of a planned British colonial settlement in North America" Stroll on one of Nova Scotia's well-kept secrets, a century-old seaside cart path, keeping an eye out for sandpipers, gulls, ducks and geese Hike to the unspoiled headland of Gaff Point, where beautiful vistas await.
Days 5-6 Peaceful rambles on shoreline paths, car-free roads and the beaches of Big Tancook Island, where lobstermen and artisans provide cultural color Stunning coastal panoramas, rolling grasslands and quaint fishing villages - just another beautiful day's stroll Take a historic walk through the 18th-century seafaring town of Lunenberg.
- Peaceful rambles on country and coastal lanes, past weathered lighthouses and colorful fishing villages
- Stroll on one of Nova Scotia's well-kept secrets, an old coastal cart path
- Explore World Heritage-status Lunenburg
- Succulent lobster and Domaine de Grand Pré wines
- Cruise to idyllic Big Tancook Island, where time seems to stand still
Victoria's Historic Inn & Carriage House (2 nights): A Victorian antique-adorned bed-and-breakfast dating back to 1893.
White Point Beach Resort (1 night): A private fishing lodge in 1928, this charming rustic property is set against a white-sand beach. (pool, spa)
Lunenburg Arms (2 nights): This graciously appointed inn is situated in Old Town Lunenburg, overlooking the harbor. (spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Sailing from Lunenburg Harbour (2 hours)|
|Lunenburg historic walking tour (1 hour)|
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 7/6-11 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $510 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/13-18 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $510 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/20-25 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $510 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/3-8 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $510 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/17-22 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $510 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/24-29 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $510 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/31-9/5 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $510 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/14-19 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $510 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/21-26 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $510 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date in next year's lineup for your group of 8 or more - just book by December 31st of this year. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $4,398 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $3,798 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $3,498 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $3,298 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $2,898 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $2,598 pp dbl. occ.
Guest Trip Reviews
Our leaders were fantastic - very knowledgeable and flexible. The casual inns were great, the food fantastic, and the hikes well thought out. We saw tons of humpback whales, and one breeched three times - incredible! Nova Scotia was a very interesting place and easy to get to from the U.S. This was our 4th trip and many more will be planned in the future. Keep up the good work and thanks again!- Overland Park, KS
I am so impressed with Backroads - your company is the most customer friendly and supportive travel company I have ever had the opportunity to interact with. Your company deserve off the chart marks on all levels of your service from calling to sign up to the actual trip quality and quality of leaders.- Green Valley, AZ