Think of the Earth's natural wonders. Glaciers, waterfalls, volcanoes, fjords, geysers. Now imagine them all in one tiny place. This is Iceland. And it's staggeringly beautiful. Just south of the Arctic Circle, yet warmed by the Gulf Stream, Mother Nature's most astounding creations share the limelight - or midnight sunlight. It's a mysterious island nation of brilliant colors, striking contrasts, crisp air and incredible energy. Of course Viking sagas of mythic proportions emerged here! Your own epic will, too. With treks across ice, sand, water and lava - and to hot springs. A vacation doesn't get any more wonder-full.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
AccommodationsPlease note that Hotel Skaftafell is significantly more basic than the usual Backroads standard. We've chosen this property in the remote area of southeast Iceland for its superb location, amazing glacier views and proximity to our trip activities.
Days 1-2 By private Zodiac boat, discover otherworldly Jökulsárlón, a bright blue lagoon with black sand and huge icebergs - make sure you have your camera ready! Sit back and enjoy the flightseeing charter to Höfn Stunning Skaftafell National Park enchants you with fireweed-strewn meadows, verdant moss, massive ice fields and Svartifoss, a cascade pouring from hexagonal lava columns.
Day 3 Crisp coastal air, fresh seafood and exhilarating activity - a feast for the senses! Trek on a glacier in Skaftafell National Park to view out-of-this-world ice sculptures, water caldrons, crevasses and a breathtaking icefall Walk at Dyrhólaey, a sanctuary for puffins and Arctic terns on Iceland's southernmost tip.
Days 4-6 By "super jeep," we tackle rugged terrain and ford rivers near Katla volcano Hike over glaciers, steaming lava beds, bizarre rock formations and canyons to Thórsmörk, with views of lush vales and brilliant lakes Anyone up for a dip in a thermal river? Walk in Thingvellir National Park, a World Heritage site and home to the globe's oldest parliament Ramble through the Nesjavellir geothermal area, where lava fields are crisscrossed with steaming tributaries and dotted with hot mud pools.
- Explore a mystical, raw, wild landscape by land, water and air
- Incredible geological wonders, from glaciers and geysers to volcanoes and sea stacks
- Crisp coastal air and fresh seafood - what could be better?
- Soak in geothermal pools amid astounding scenery
- Extend your vacation in vibrant Reykjavík
Premiere & Casual Inns
Hotel Skaftafell (2 nights): A very basic lodge chosen for its proximity to Skaftafell National Park.
Hotel Rangá (2 nights): A countryside resort with hot tubs overlooking a river and the Hekla volcano.
Hotel Ion (1 night): This sleek modern hotel sits amid geothermal pools near the shore of Lake Thingvallavatn. (spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Zodiac boat ride (1 hour)|
|Guided ice walk (3 hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/7-12 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $890 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 6/15-20 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $890 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 6/22-27 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $890 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 6/29-7/4 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $890 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 7/6-11 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $890 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 7/13-18 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $890 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 7/20-25 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $890 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 7/27-8/1 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $890 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 8/3-8 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $890 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 8/17-22 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $890 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 8/24-29 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $890 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 8/31-9/5 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $890 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date in next year's lineup for your group of 8 or more - just book by December 31st of this year. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 8 - 9 guests $5,298 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $4,798 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $4,198 pp dbl. occ.
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.
Guest Trip Reviews
Iceland was a terrific experience and one of the top trips I've taken with Backroads. So much diversity in the landscape and the activities! Great destination for a Backroads trip!- Cincinnati, OH
I am extremely excited about our trip to Iceland! Backroads has made the planning process both easy and effortless. There are so many trips to choose from with a variety of choices within that choosing just one was the most difficulty I had. I'm excited to travel with Backroads. I don't think I'll ever stress over planning trips and activities in far off places again.- Augusta, GA