Think of the Earth's natural wonders. Glaciers, waterfalls, volcanoes, fjords, geysers. Now imagine them all in one tiny place. This is Iceland. And it's staggeringly beautiful. Just south of the Arctic Circle, yet warmed by the Gulf Stream, Mother Nature's most astounding creations share the limelight - or midnight sunlight. It's a mysterious island nation of brilliant colors, striking contrasts, crisp air and incredible energy. Of course Viking sagas of mythic proportions emerged here! Your own epic will, too. With treks across ice, sand, water and lava - and to hot springs. A vacation doesn't get any more wonder-full.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
AccommodationsPlease note that Fosshotel Núpar is significantly more basic than the usual Backroads standard. We've chosen this property for its superb location, amazing glacier and crater views, and its proximity to our trip activities.
Days 1-2 By private Zodiac boat, discover otherworldly Jökulsárlón, a bright blue lagoon with black sand and huge icebergs - make sure you have your camera ready! Sit back and enjoy the flightseeing charter to Höfn, an excellent opportunity to view a massive ice field that covers about eight percent (3,200 square miles) of the country Certain to enchant you is Skaftafell National Park, an incredible area shaped by thousands of years of volcanic eruptions, glacial runoff and rushing rivers, and abounding with forest, heath and waterfalls.
Day 3 Crisp coastal air, fresh seafood and exhilarating activity - a feast for the senses! Trek on a glacier in Skaftafell National Park to view out-of-this-world ice sculptures, water caldrons, crevasses and a breathtaking icefall Walk at Dyrhólaey, a 400-foot-high coastal promontory on Iceland’s southernmost point Admire the many sea stacks just offshore and look for the puffins, common guillemots, razorbills and kittiwakes that call this bird sanctuary home This evening, perhaps opt for a relaxing soak in one of our hotel’s three outdoor geothermal tubs.
Days 4-6 By "super jeep," we tackle rugged terrain and ford rivers near Katla Volcano Hike over glaciers, steaming lava beds, bizarre rock formations and canyons to Thórsmörk, with views of lush vales and brilliant lakes Anyone up for a dip in a thermal river? You'll be tempted by the tranquil pools that form in this extraordinary alpine setting Ramble through the Nesjavellir geothermal area, where lava fields are crisscrossed with steaming tributaries and dotted with hot mud pools Walk along the shore of Lake Thingvallavatn, with water so crystal-clear and clean, you can drink it!
- Explore a mystical, raw, wild landscape by land, water and air
- Incredible geological wonders, from glaciers and geysers to volcanoes and sea stacks
- Crisp coastal air and fresh seafood - what could be better?
- Soak in geothermal pools amid astounding scenery
- Extend your vacation in the famously eclectic city of Reykjavík
Premiere & Casual Inns
Hotel Vatnajökull (1 night): Newly renovated, this simple yet well-appointed hotel offers spectacular views of the Vatnajökull glacier.
Fosshotel Núpar (1 night): A no-frills Scandinavian-style inn with panoramic vistas of lava fields, craters and glaciers.
Hotel Rangá (2 nights): A countryside resort with hot tubs overlooking a river and the Hekla Volcano.
Hotel Ion (1 night): This sleek modern hotel sits amid geothermal pools near the shore of Lake Thingvallavatn. (spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Zodiac boat Ride (1 Hour)|
|Guided Ice Walk (3 Hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/7-12 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $820 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $480
- 6/14-19 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $820 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $480
- 6/21-26 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $820 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $480
- 6/28-7/3 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $820 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $480
- 7/5-10 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $820 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $480
- 7/12-17 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $820 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $480
- 7/26-31 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $820 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $480
- 8/2-7 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $820 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $480
- 8/16-21 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $820 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $480
- 8/23-28 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $820 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $480
- 8/30-9/4 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $820 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $480
- 9/6-11 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $820 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $480
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $4,798 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
Iceland was a terrific experience and one of the top trips I've taken with Backroads. So much diversity in the landscape and the activities! Great destination for a Backroads trip!- Cincinnati, OH
I am extremely excited about our trip to Iceland! Backroads has made the planning process both easy and effortless. There are so many trips to choose from with a variety of choices within that choosing just one was the most difficulty I had. I'm excited to travel with Backroads. I don't think I'll ever stress over planning trips and activities in far-off places again.- Augusta, GA