Tuscan cuisine appeals to the soul. It's a celebration of fresh ingredients prepared with minimal manipulation - rustic ribollita soup, melt-in-your mouth bruschetta, pecorino toscano drizzled with honey and peperoncino, a glass of Chianti Classico it's habit-forming! Discover the joys of the Italian table under the tutelage of our charming local friends. Slow down and let food be the focal point of the day. And savor this journey that nurtures both body and spirit.
Day 1 Meander through vineyards, woodland and Renaissance hill towns, welcomed by our local amici along the way Get a taste of the region's undulating terrain as you stroll from Castellina to Vescine Prepare a homestyle Italian meal alongside the undisputed masters of Italian cooking: le nonne - grandmothers!
Days 2-3 Journey into the heart of Chianti and back in time to historic Volpaia Talk Tuscan meats and spices with Panzano's famed butcher - and entertainer - Dario Cecchini Amble from one unbelievable vista to the next, stopping for lunch alfresco among the grapevines Tonight's culinary theme: desserts! Prepare a variety of sweet treats with our local friends Homer once called olive oil "liquid gold" - you'll call it delicious during our exclusive degustazione (tasting) High ridges and peaceful forests lead the way to our lunch spot in a quaint hamlet Enjoy a private wine talk and pour before dinner.
Days 4-6 Follow the <i>strade bianche</i> (white roads) of southern Tuscany's Val d'Orcia Sample honey, courtesy of the monks - and bees - of Monte Oliveto Maggiore Wander in Renaissance-style Pienza, Pope Pius II's utopian village, choosing a restaurant for dinner on your own Vibrant green in springtime, rich gold in autumn, the surrounding hills are a joy to explore in any season Lunch takes place at an agriturismo and dinner is a hands-on affair as we prepare piatti tipici Toscani, typical Tuscan dishes, for our farewell feast Our final walk brings us to a working cheese farm.
- Walk through vineyards, woodland and Renaissance hill towns, getting to know our local amici along the way
- Journey into the heart of Chianti - and back in time - to historic Volpaia
- Follow the strade bianche (white roads) of southern Tuscany's Val d'Orcia
- Savor Chianti Classico and other superb Tuscan wines
- Overnight in distinctive hotels where you're welcomed like family
Il Borgo di Vèscine (1 night): A 13th-century hamlet handsomely restored as a welcoming hotel with unsurpassed views of the Tuscan countryside. (pool, tennis)
Castello di Meleto (2 nights): This 13th-century castle - complete with watchtowers and an arched stone doorway - rests on a hill in the heart of Chianti, surrounded by idyllic countryside. (pool)
Relais Il Chiostro di Pienza (2 nights): Originally a 15th-century convent, this splendid hotel is situated in the heart of town. (pool)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
2013 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/9-14 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/23-28 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/21-26 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/1-6 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/8-13 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/15-20 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/22-27 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/29-10/4 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/6-11 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/13-18 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/20-25 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Guest Trip Reviews
In Italy, it's impossible to separate the culture from the extraordinary bounty of food and drink that sustains it. Bring your appetite and sense of adventure on this new walking trip in Tuscany, where you'll dive right into a hands-on introduction to the region's culinary arts - from traditional Tuscan meals to incredible local specialties like wine, olive oil and honey.- Regional Manager, Italy