Tuscan cuisine appeals to the soul. It's a celebration of fresh ingredients prepared with minimal manipulation - rustic ribollita soup, melt-in-your mouth bruschetta, pecorino toscano drizzled with honey and peperoncino, a glass of Chianti Classico it's habit-forming! Discover the joys of the Tuscan table as you learn the secrets of Italian cooking from our charming local friends. Slow down and let food be the focal point of the day. And savor this journey that nurtures both body and spirit.
Day 1 Meander through vineyards, woodland and Renaissance hill towns, welcomed by our local amici along the way Get a taste of the region's undulating terrain as you stroll from Castellina to Vescine Homer once called olive oil "liquid gold" - you'll call it delicious during our exclusive degustazione (tasting) Sip Chianti and prepare a homestyle Italian meal alongside locals in the cucina of their cooking school.
Days 2-3 Journey into the heart of Chianti and back in time to historic Volpaia Talk Tuscan meats and spices with Panzano's famed butcher - and entertainer - Dario Cecchini Sample honey, courtesy of the monks - and bees - of Badia a Coltibuono, or "Abbey of the Good Harvest" Amble from one unbelievable vista to the next, stopping for lunch alfresco among the grapevines Tonight's culinary theme: pizza! Join Backroads' friends Ciro and Umberto to learn how to let the dough fly High ridges and peaceful forests lead the way to our lunch spot in a quaint hamlet Enjoy a private wine talk and pour with our friend Fabrizio before dinner.
Days 4-6 Follow the <i>strade bianche</i> (white roads) of southern Tuscany's Val d'Orcia Wander in Renaissance-style Pienza, Pope Pius II's utopian village, and discover a hidden gem of a restaurant for dinner Vibrant green in springtime, rich gold in autumn, the surrounding hills are a joy to explore in any season Lunch takes place at an agriturismo and dinner is a hands-on affair as we prepare piatti tipici Toscani, typical Tuscan dishes, for our farewell feast Our final walk brings us to a working cheese farm that produces premier pecorino - we've been coming here for nearly a decade!
- Walk through vineyards, woodland and Renaissance hill towns, getting to know our local amici along the way
- Prepare local farm-to-table recipes passed through countless generations
- Follow the strade bianche (white roads) of southern Tuscany's Val d'Orcia
- Savor Chianti Classico and other superb Tuscan wines
- Relish handmade cuisine, from your first plate of pici all'aglione to your final bowl-scraping spoonful of tiramisu
Il Borgo di Vèscine (2 nights): A 13th-century hamlet handsomely restored as a welcoming hotel with unsurpassed views of the Tuscan countryside. (pool, tennis)
Palazzo Leopoldo (1 night): Located in the heart of the Chianti region, this elegant 14th-century manor house features spacious guest rooms with original frescoes. (spa)
Relais Il Chiostro di Pienza (2 nights): Originally a 15th-century convent, this splendid hotel is situated in the heart of town. (pool)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 5/4-9 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/8-13 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/15-20 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/22-27 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/6-11 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/7-12 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/14-19 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/21-26 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/28-10/3 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/5-10 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/12-17 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $5,298 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $4,698 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $4,498 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $4,298 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $3,998 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $3,698 pp dbl. occ.
Guest Trip Reviews
In Italy, it's impossible to separate the culture from the extraordinary bounty of food and drink that sustains it. Bring your appetite and sense of adventure on this walking trip in Tuscany, where you'll dive right into a hands-on introduction to the region's culinary arts - from traditional Tuscan meals to incredible local specialties like wine, olive oil and honey.- Regional Manager, Italy