Sometimes, you just need to slow down. Look around. Take a deep breath. Capture the rich scent of jasmine or striking beauty of a blossoming magnolia. Bike under shady live oaks, draped in Spanish moss. Strike up a conversation, a glass of sweet tea in hand. Kayak, delighting in the majestic dive of a brown pelican. Stroll through Charleston, Beaufort, Savannah, each exuding southern charm. Dine extravagantly, savoring exceptional cuisine at every meal. You're on vacation. This is how it's supposed to feel.
Day 1 Soak up Southern charm and fascinating history From historic Fort Moultrie, pedal past the grand mansions of Sullivan's Island and the Isle of Palms On a guided walk of Charleston, explore the lovely historic district, with narrow brick alleys, hidden cemeteries, flower-draped courtyards and stunning architecture.
Day 2 Kayak to a bird sanctuary, gliding past fishing boats and nesting pelicans Spin across the Cooper River bridge, with spectacular views of the marsh and Charleston Harbor Dine in style at the acclaimed Peninsula Grill.
Days 3-4 At the vast ACE Basin estuary, enjoy an easygoing walk through wetlands - where you may spot alligators and eagles before arriving in delightful Beaufort The Penn Center describes Sea Island and Low Country African American culture Bike to gorgeous Hunting Island State Park, where ocean meets palmetto forest Take time to dip your toes in the water during a leisurely beach walk.
Days 5-6 Award-winning cuisine at Elizabeth on 37th and authentic Southern food at lively Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room Explore the inland waterways on quiet roads that weave through the countryside Discover the city's wisteria-scented squares, oak-lined avenues and secret alleys on a guided walk Historian John Duncan invites us into his typical Savannah manor.
- Historic Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah, all rich with beautiful architecture, gardens and southern charm
- Pedal Savannah's waterfront en route to the Wormsloe Plantation, where 400 stately oaks grace the entrance
- Award-winning cuisine at Peninsula Grill in Charleston and Elizabeth on 37th in Savannah
- Kayak to a sensational bird sanctuary
- The historic Planters Inn, a Relais & Châteaux gem
Planters Inn (2 nights): Just steps from the Old Market, a "gracious hotel overlooking a garden courtyard in the heart of the historic district," according to the Hideaway Report. A Relais & Châteaux member.
Rhett House Inn (2 nights): In the National Historic Landmark District, a beautiful Greek Revival plantation-style inn with sprawling verandas and antebellum-era décor.
Mansion on Forsyth Park (1 night): A luxurious Victorian Romanesque mansion splendidly restored and located in Savannah's famed Historic District. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kayaking||On Shem Creek (3 hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 3/23-28 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/30-4/4 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/6-11 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/13-18 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/20-25 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/27-5/2 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/4-9 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/11-16 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/14-19 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/21-26 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/28-10/3 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/5-10 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/12-17 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/19-24 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/26-31 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
- 11/9-14 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $740 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date in next year's lineup for your group of 8 or more - just book by December 31st of this year. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $4,798 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $4,198 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $3,798 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $3,598 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $3,198 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $2,898 pp dbl. occ.
Guest Trip Reviews
Absolutely wonderful! Lots of history and lots of wonder and beauty all around! Great people and leaders and the great outdoors! What a wonderful trip.- Jackson, WY
This trip was tremendous. The combination of the various athletic activities with cultural tours and wonderful food can't be beat.- Denver, CO
Once again I want to congratulate your tour leaders and Backroads for making my vacation such a memorable event. I can't even think of any constructive criticism to offer. Everything went like clockwork. Your company and your employees exude nothing but class. Thank you very much for all the endless planning to details to make my trip something to brag about to all my friends and relatives.- Edina, MN
The trip was fabulous (!), and very well planned. The dynamics of our group worked out well - we loved everyone! It's as if you hand-picked each and every one of us!- Chicago, IL
This was our 10th bike trip, first with Backroads, and we will be looking to Backroads from now on! The leaders for the trip were excellent, very attentive, competent and accommodating. Having leaders of this quality makes all the difference. We had a great time.- Encino, CA
I may travel with Backroads for the rest of my life. You go exactly where I want to go and do exactly what my family likes to do with people that we enjoy being with and exceptional leaders. I love Backroads.- Milwaukee, WI