Sometimes, you just need to slow down. Look around. Take a deep breath. Capture the rich scent of jasmine or showy beauty of a blossoming magnolia. Bike under shady live oaks, draped in Spanish moss. Strike up a conversation, a glass of sweet tea in hand. Kayak, delighting in the majestic dive of a brown pelican. Stroll through Charleston, Beaufort, Savannah, each exuding southern charm. Dine extravagantly, savoring exceptional cuisine at every meal. You're on vacation. This is how it's supposed to feel.
Day 1 Southern charm and fascinating history From Fort Moultrie—which dates back to the American Revolution—pedal past the grand mansions of Sullivan's Island and the Isle of Palms On a guided walk of Charleston, explore the lovely historic district, with narrow brick alleys, hidden cemeteries, flower-draped courtyards and stunning architecture Dine in style at the acclaimed Peninsula Grill.
Day 2 Enjoy an easygoing ride on Wadmalaw Island, where nearly 150 colonists settled in 1670 Keep pedaling or stroll among the Camellia sinensis plants at the Charleston Tea Plantation Soak up more of the charming culture of Charleston, the first city in the country to zone for a historic district.
Days 3-4 Kayak in the ACE Basin on the Ashepoo River, where you may spot cormorants and eagles Stroll on a boardwalk through a submerged cypress tupelo swamp forest, keeping your eyes out for alligators Bike through a lush semitropical forest of twisted palm trees to emerge at the beach at gorgeous Hunting Island State Park Take time to dip your toes in the water during a leisurely beach walk.
Days 5-6 Award-winning cuisine at Elizabeth on 37th and authentic Southern food at lively Mrs. Wilkes' Dining Room Pass through a tunnel of ancient oak trees as you bike from the Bonaventure cemetery to historic Wormsloe Plantation Discover the city's wisteria-scented squares, oak-lined avenues and secret alleys on a guided walk Historian John Duncan invites us into his typical Savannah manor.
- Historic Charleston, Beaufort and Savannah, all rich with beautiful architecture, gardens and southern charm
- Pedal Savannah's waterfront en route to the Wormsloe Plantation, where 400 stately oaks grace the entrance
- Award-winning cuisine at Peninsula Grill in Charleston and Elizabeth on 37th in Savannah
- Kayak to a sensational bird sanctuary
- The historic Planters Inn, a Relais & Châteaux gem
Planters Inn (2 nights): Just steps from the Old Market, a "gracious hotel overlooking a garden courtyard in the heart of the historic district," according to the Hideaway Report. A Relais & Châteaux member. Condé Nast Traveler Gold List; Travel + Leisure World's Best.
Rhett House Inn (2 nights): In the National Historic Landmark District, a beautiful Greek Revival plantation-style inn with sprawling verandas and antebellum-era décor.
Mansion on Forsyth Park (1 night): A restored Victorian Romanesque mansion ideally located in Savannah's famed Historic District. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kayaking||Ace Basin kayaking (3 hours)|
|Other||John Duncan House Tour (1 hour)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 9/13-18 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/4-9 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/11-16 Price: $3098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/18-23 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 11/8-13 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
2016 Dates & Pricing*
- 3/27-4/1 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/3-8 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/10-15 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/17-22 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 4/24-29 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/1-6 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/8-13 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/11-16 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/18-23 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/25-30 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/2-7 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/9-14 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/16-21 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/23-28 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 11/6-11 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $4,798 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,898 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,298 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.
Guest Trip Reviews
Absolutely wonderful! Lots of history and lots of wonder and beauty all around! Great people and leaders and the great outdoors! What a wonderful trip.- Jackson, WY
This trip was tremendous. The combination of the various athletic activities with cultural tours and wonderful food can't be beat.- Denver, CO
Once again I want to congratulate your tour leaders and Backroads for making my vacation such a memorable event. I can't even think of any constructive criticism to offer. Everything went like clockwork. Your company and your employees exude nothing but class. Thank you very much for all the endless planning to details to make my trip something to brag about to all my friends and relatives.- Edina, MN
The trip was fabulous (!), and very well planned. The dynamics of our group worked out well - we loved everyone! It's as if you hand-picked each and every one of us!- Chicago, IL
This was our tenth bike trip, first with Backroads, and we will be looking to Backroads from now on! The leaders for the trip were excellent, very attentive, competent and accommodating. Having leaders of this quality makes all the difference. We had a great time.- Encino, CA
I may travel with Backroads for the rest of my life. You go exactly where I want to go and do exactly what my family likes to do with people that we enjoy being with and exceptional leaders. I love Backroads.- Milwaukee, WI