They say that opposites attract. Does that explain Iceland? Heath beside ocean. Glaciers atop volcanoes. Icebergs the size of trucks washed up on black-sand beaches. A temperate climate yet a name like Iceland. Rumor has it that adults and kids even gravitate toward one another here. While hiking gray lava flats and white ice fields. Traveling by bike, foot, Zodiac, plane, horse and "super jeep." And basking in geothermal pools near glacial waterfalls. It seems totally implausible. To have such extremes so close. But maybe it's just the natural order.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
AccommodationsPlease note that Hotel Skaftafell is significantly more basic than the usual Backroads standard. We've chosen this property in the remote area of southeast Iceland for its superb location, amazing glacier views and proximity to our trip activities.
Days 1-3 Explore a glacial lagoon by Zodiac boat and on foot, marveling at a ghostly iceberg "sculpture garden" in the jewel-blue water While grown-ups hike in the highlands, kids follow a path to the toe of the massive Skaftafellsjökull Glacier View out-of-this-world ice formations, water caldrons, crevasses and a breathtaking icefall during a trek on a glacier in Skaftafell National Park Walk at Dyrhólaey, a sanctuary for puffins and Arctic terns on Iceland's southernmost tip.
Day 4 Ready for a different kind of adventure? Ride in a "super jeep" across creeks and rivers near simmering Katla Volcano Discover Thórsmörk, an alpine oasis of lime-hued hillsides, icy peaks and wildflowers Hike from bizarre rock formations and canyons to a glacier tongue with views of pristine vales and brilliant lakes A chain of waterfalls lines the Skógá River, including mighty Skógafoss, 200 feet high and set off by moss-covered rocks Kids saddle up for a ride on agile Icelandic ponies.
Days 5-6 Check out steaming mud pools and thermal rivers - up for a dip? In the Haukadalur Valley, witness the Great Geysir, known to shoot boiling water 230 feet into the air Gulfoss waterfall, where the Hvítá River plunges into a narrow canyon, creates "golden falls" and, if the sun is out, dozens of rainbows Hike among geysers and streams and pedal through Thingvellir National Park, a World Heritage site Ramble in the Hengill geothermal area, where verdant lava fields are crisscrossed with steaming tributaries.
- Explore a mystical, raw, wild landscape by land, water and air
- Incredible geologic wonders, from glaciers and geysers to volcanoes and sea stacks
- Go for a trot on hardy Icelandic horses
- Crisp coastal air and fresh seafood
- Meet puffins, kittiwakes and other feathered residents
Hotel Skaftafell (2 nights): A very basic lodge chosen for its proximity to Skaftafell National Park.
Hotel Rangá (2 nights): A countryside resort with hot tubs overlooking a river and the Hekla volcano.
Hotel Ion (1 night): This sleek modern hotel sits amid geothermal pools near the shore of Lake Thingvallavatn.
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids||Waterfalls & glacier hike (6.7 miles; 600’ elevation gain)|
|Other||Ice Walk (3 hours)|
|Other||Super jeep expedition (3 hours)|
|Kids||Horseback riding in Hestheimar (1.5 hours)|
|Kids||Lake bike ride (10 miles; 500’ elevation gain)|
|Kids||Ropes course (1.5 hours)|
To make for the most comfortable ride to this particular trip, we've outfitted our titanium road bike with slightly wider tires.
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/17-22 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $780 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 6/24-29 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $780 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 7/1-6 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $780 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 7/8-13 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $780 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 7/15-20 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $780 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 7/22-27 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $780 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 7/29-8/3 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $780 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 8/5-10 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $780 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 8/12-17 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $780 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
- 8/19-24 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $830 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $370
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to horseback ride: 6 years
- No Burleys or Piccolos available on this trip
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date in next year's lineup for your group of 8 or more - just book by December 31st of this year. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 8 - 9 guests $5,198 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $4,598 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $3,998 pp dbl. occ.
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
Exceeded my expectations. I am amazed at all that we were able to do in six full days. Every hike was unique and beautiful. Loved having options on the different hikes. Magnificent landscapes, geological formations, varied activities we had throughout the trip. I was so impressed with the ease and smoothness of the running of this trip, knowing we were the 3rd (or 2nd) trip for Backroads in Iceland. I was so impressed with the research that was conducted before offering this trip to your guests. Our leaders seemed so experienced in their knowledge of the country, in their ability to navigate, and their choices of the local areas we visited and the guides we had.- Longboat Key, FL