This trip is just like a smoothie. One from our favorite smoothie shack on the Big Island. It's a perfect blend of flavors, colors and everything Hawaiian. An ideal array of activities that flow together seamlessly. Admire an active volcano from afar, then explore it up close. Bike from a misty rain forest to a dramatic black-sand beach in the morning, kayak on a crystalline bay in the afternoon and end the day lounging oceanside beneath the palms. Every day you're engaged, entertained and by the end, exhilarated by your Hawaiian experience. And wait until you try the smoothies.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
AccommodationsThe Kilauea Lodge is a fairly rustic property that reflects its picturesque location near the stunning Volcanoes National Park. Although clean and comfortable, the guest rooms are basic and are not equipped with phones or televisions.
TrafficWhile Backroads strives to include routes that are quiet and off the beaten track, the Big Island's rugged topography limits the number of smooth paved roads. Our shuttle is always available to help you bypass more heavily trafficked or rough sections.
Day 1 Bike along the sensational Hamakua coast - beautiful valleys and lush tropical hills greet you around every turn Grassy highlands and sprawling cattle ranches? You'll find them while pedaling in paniolo country at Parker Ranch.
Days 2-3 Explore a caldera with a local guide and walk through a lush forest in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, realm of Kilauea, the most active volcano on Earth Spin past giant tree ferns on Crater Rim Drive before descending 4,000 feet to the stunning Kau Coast Wander down one of the Big Island's wonders: the black-sand beach at Punaluu.
Day 4 Get to know Kailua-Kona on foot or on the water Kayak past rocky cliffs and secluded sea caves in limpid Keauhou Bay Want a closer look? Plunge in for a snorkeling adventure among colorful parrot fish, moorish idol and Hawaiian lionfish There's nothing like the flavor and aroma of authentic Kona coffee - enjoy a taste at a small independent farm.
Days 5-6 Spin along the sun-soaked Kohala Coast, tracing 30 miles of the Kona Ironman Triathlon's cycling course Back at the resort, snorkel or play tennis Rather relax? Bliss out on white sand or treat yourself at the spa Visit a temple rising majestically above the Pacific, a testament to Kamehameha the Great, Hawaii's most renowned king.
- Amid sheer emerald-green cliffs and dramatic waterfalls, enjoy an eyeful at the Waipio Valley Lookout
- Bike from the black lunar landscape of Kilauea Iki Crater to the stunning Kau Coast
- Big on beach time? There's plenty on this trip!
- Go snorkeling and sea kayaking for an up-close perspective on Hawaii's fascinating marine life
- Pedal part of the Kona Ironman Triathlon's cycling course
Casual & Premiere Inns
Kilauea Lodge (2 nights): An up-country bed-and-breakfast with ideal access to Volcanoes National Park.
King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel (1 night): Located in the heart of downtown Kailua-Kona and at the site of King Kamehameha the Great's royal residence, this hotel offers a little something for everyone. (pool, spa, tennis)
Fairmont Orchid (2 nights): A blissful resort offering abundant amenities, a lovely half-moon beach and sweeping views of the Pacific. Condé Nast Traveler Gold List. (pool, spa, tennis, golf)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Other||Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Snorkeling or Canoeing in Kona Bay (2 Hours)|
|4||Kayaking||on Keauhou Bay (3 Hours)|
|Other||Coffee Tour (1 Hour)|
|Other||Optional Tennis or Golf|
|6||Other||Cultural Walk (1.5 Hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 1/20-25 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 2/17-22 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/1-6 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/17-22 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 3/31-4/5 Price: $3098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/10-15 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/2-7 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/9-14 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/23-28 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/7-12 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/20-25 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/27-10/2 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/13-18 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/22-27 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/24-29 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/4-9 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $990 for sgl. occ.)
- 12/17-22 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $990 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $5,198 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,998 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
There's no better way to explore the entire island of Hawaii than this Backroads Multisport adventure. You'll bike, kayak and hike your way from Hawaii's active volcanoes to its misty rain forests and stunning coasts. It's the perfect mix of activities and the best combination of scenery...what's not to love?- Regional Manager, Hawaii