With over a quarter of its land protected in parks and preserves, Costa Rica is paradise for anyone who loves wildlife and outdoor adventure. Howler monkeys scamper through the trees, and keel-billed toucans color the sky against a natural backdrop of a majestic volcano, a magnificent lake, flowing rivers and lush greenery. Jungle hikes, mountain biking and a kayaking adventure expose you to the region's incredible biodiversity, from Los Angeles Cloud Forest to Arenal Volcano National Park and the Pacific coast. You're sure to have fun, relax and learn the true meaning of pura vida!
Day 1 Commune with nature at the tranquil eco-friendly Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel Start the day with an eye-opening tour (and tasting!) at a coffee plantation Walk along peaceful country roads that meander past brilliant-orange poró trees and farmers plying their trade in the Los Angeles Cloud Forest.
Day 2 Soak in the hot springs of a forest oasis while watching for signs of life from Arenal Volcano An interpretive walk through the cloud forest reveals an incredible variety of flora and fauna Pedal along rolling paved roads flanked by plantations of papaya, sugarcane and yucca to La Fortuna, nestled near the foot of Arenal Volcano.
Day 3 An ideal blend of activities makes for an unforgettable adventure Explore the lush rain forest around beautiful Lake Arenal from the seat of your bike, followed by a private cruise on the lake Fly through the treetops on a zip-line or simply relax by the pool.
Day 4 Trek across a lava field in Arenal Volcano National Park Soar above the rain forest on our private charter flight to the white-sand beaches of Manuel Antonio Walk along La Foresta's private jungle trails and keep your eyes peeled for fast-moving basilisk lizards, blue morpho butterflies and endangered squirrel monkeys.
Days 5-6 Spot a wealth of wildlife on a naturalist-led walk in Manuel Antonio National Park, from monkeys, lizards and iguanas to butterflies and toucans Soak up some sun or splash in the Pacific - whatever you decide, it's pura vida! A sea-kayaking excursion in the calm bay off Quepos leads to a secluded beach - ready for one last quick dip?
- Commune with nature at the tranquil eco-friendly Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel
- Relax in the hot springs of a forest hideaway while watching for signs of life from the volcano
- Explore Lake Arenal and the surrounding rain forest by boat and bike
- Observe a stunning variety of wildlife - sloths, monkeys, lizards and more - in Manuel Antonio National Park
- Kayak across crystalline waters to a beautiful remote beach
Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel (1 night): This eco-conscious hotel features charming casitas, each with a splendid view of the cloud forest. (spa)
Hotel Mountain Paradise (2 nights): When skies are clear, relish unobstructed views of Arenal Volcano from this hilltop resort. (pool, spa)
Si Como No Resort (2 nights): Surrounded by lush tropical jungle above the Pacific Ocean and Manuel Antonio National Park, this inviting boutique hotel has been recognized for its ongoing commitment to sustainability. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Other||Boat cruise on Lake Arenal (30 minutes)|
|Other||Optional zip-lining and hiking|
|Other||Optional surfing, mangrove tour or horseback riding|
|6||Kayaking||Around Quepos (2 hours)|
On this trip, we'll be using titanium mountain bikes that are just right for the non-technical dirt road riding as well as the paved riding. (approximately 10% dirt and 90% paved).
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 3/18-23 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $530 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
- 12/23-28 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $530 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
- 12/31-1/5 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $530 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
- 4/13-18 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $530 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 1/6-11 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $530 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
- 1/19-24 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $530 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
- 2/17-22 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $530 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
- 3/17-22 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $530 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
- 3/31-4/5 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $530 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
- 12/23-28 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
- 12/31-1/5 Price: $2998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
- 2/1-6 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $530 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
- 4/12-17 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $530 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $180
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 8 - 9 guests $3,698 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $3,398 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $2,798 pp dbl. occ.
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.
Guest Trip Reviews
First let me say how impressed I am with your organization. Pulling all of this off in the United States, let alone Costa Rica, would have been a major feat --- the organization, thought, and planning that went into this trip were incredible. Thank you!- Branford, CT
This was the most well organized, truly seamless vacation experience I have ever had. Our leaders were absolutely incredible. They were knowledgeable, helpful, enthusiastic and went FAR beyond the call of duty on their jobs. Above all, their attitudes and the fact that they were truly having FUN meant everything in terms of maintaining the group dynamics to ensure that everyone had a pleasurable experience.- Alexandria, VA
I loved the variety of activity on this trip. Backroads is the best travel company. I have a hard time traveling with any other company because of the quality of your trips.- Green Valley, AZ
Our leaders did an awesome job! The drivers were wonderful. It was a great trip. I felt like I made 18 new friends. The physical activity was just right.- Jonesville, WI
Backroads always spoils us rotten. You have set the standard so high that other companies can't compare to your quality. I am hooked on Backroads!- Green Valley, AZ