Holy cow! Or rather, holy huge millipede! Was that a toucan? Check out those colorful beaks! Can you spot those howler monkeys you've been hearing? Swinging through the jungle, Tarzan style. Do some swinging of your own on a zip-line. Or will it be beach time? Or paddling along the Pacific coastline? Or plunging into a pristine waterfall? Or TLC at the spa? It's up to you. And you really can't go wrong. With these activities. With private charter flights connecting it all. With a week of Backroads family fun in Costa Rica.
Days 1-2 Hop on a charter flight over Costa Rica's fertile Central Valley and the Talamanca mountain range to Quepos, located on the Pacific coast Learn how to make sugar at a Costa Rican trapiche (sugar cane mill) Take in tropical forests, pristine beaches and volcanic cliffs along the stunning Pacific coastline from your sea kayak Hike through the Fila Chonta mountain range to a pristine waterfall, where you can enjoy a refreshing dip Adults hike along well-maintained jungle paths while kids mount up for an exciting horseback ride Opt to fly across the jungle canopy on a zip-line or relax back at the hotel.
Day 3 Meander through Manuel Antonio National Park with an expert who helps us spot white-faced monkeys, butterflies, sloths and iguanas A local family invites us into their home for lunch Hike through the rain forest to our secluded jungle safari hotel Kick back on your private deck or go for a plunge on the 100-foot long waterslide - look out below!
Day 4 Make a splash on a thrilling white-water rafting excursion on Río Savegre A short scenic flight whisks us to the Nicoya peninsula, where age-old traditions are still alive and well Explore some of Costa Rica's most beautiful beaches on two wheels Relax by a multitiered infinity pool offering sunset views of the Pacific Ocean.
Days 5-6 Venture into a tropical forest and perhaps catch a glimpse of colorful birds, like long-tailed manakins or trogons Play or relax at our oceanfront resort: hike, kayak, horseback ride, lounge on sublime white-sand beaches or indulge in a massage Youngsters enjoy kid-inspired fun - and possibly pick-up soccer with local niños Dig into fresh seafood at a festive farewell dinner.
- A perfect lineup of activities makes for great family adventures throughout the country
- Spot amazing wildlife - sloths, monkeys, lizards and more - at Manuel Antonio National Park
- White-water raft on Río Savegre, one of Central America's most pristine rivers
- Sublime white-sand beaches great for swimming and surfing
- Kid-inspired fun - and possibly pick-up soccer with local niños - at an arts cooperative
Parador Resort & Spa (2 nights): A Spanish-style resort with blissful views of the Manuel Antonio rain forest and the azure Pacific. (pool, spa, tennis)
Rafiki Safari Lodge (1 night): African-style luxury safari tents offering the ideal setting for enjoying the sights and sounds of the jungle. (pool)
Hotel Punta Islita (2 nights): This eco-friendly resort is tucked away between an ocean cove and the forest on the pristine Nicoya Peninsula. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa, tennis, golf)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|1||Kayaking||Around Quepos (2 Hours)|
|Kids||Horseback Riding (45 Minutes)|
|Rafting||On Río Savegre (2.5 hours)|
|Other||Optional Surfing, Horseback Riding or Golf|
|Kids||Cultural Activity & Games|
|6||Other||Punta Islita Guided Walk (1 Hour)|
On this trip, we'll be using titanium mountain bikes that are just right for the non-technical dirt road riding as well as the paved riding. (approximately 45% dirt and 55% paved).
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 12/21-26 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $590
- 12/23-28 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $590
- 12/25-30 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $590
- 12/29-1/3 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $590
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 2/16-21 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 3/9-14 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 3/16-21 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 3/23-28 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 3/30-4/4 Price: $3998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 4/6-11 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 4/13-18 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 7/20-25 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 7/27-8/1 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 8/3-8 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 8/10-15 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 12/20-25 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 12/22-27 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 12/24-29 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 12/26-31 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 12/28-1/2 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
- 12/30-1/4 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.), Internal Air: $560
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to raft: 8 years
- Minimum age restriction to surf: 7 years
- Minimum age restriction to kayak: 5 years
- No Burleys available on this trip
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date for your group of 8 or more except for trips departing during the last two weeks of December, where a 16 guest minimum is required. Call us for date availability.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|8 - 9 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|8 - 9 guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|10 - 11 guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.|
For groups of 2 to 7 guests, please call for Custom Trip pricing.
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
This was the best family vacation we have ever been on - and we are experienced vacationers. I have already recommended Backroads, and this trip in specific, to friends - and we only got back last night. We've gone on Backroads bike trips previously but had never taken our kids and had never done a multisport trip. We have an athletic 15-year-old and a not-very-athletic 12-year-old. Amazingly, this trip worked well for both kids. Everyone was happy.
One of the best vacations I've ever been on. Our guides were knowledgeable, excellent teachers, and also patient with us. I appreciated their humor as well as their knowledge and insight. Aside from the wonderful leaders, great accommodations, and beautifully interesting country, another thing that made the trip so special was the chemistry of the group…it was so enjoyable to be traveling with such a friendly and interesting mix of people. It was also amazing how well the kids in the group gelled.- West Hartford, CT
My daughter and I both felt that Backroads gave us a chance to enjoy the local culture, food, people and wildlife in Costa Rica in a way that we never would have experienced on our own.
My husband and I were in awe as to the enthusiasm of ALL the families - adults as well as children and how much fun they had - and the ease with how everyone got along together. The fun of observing them and being with all of them, yet not on top of each other, was wonderful. The activities and organization of the trip made it so easy and enjoyable. It is so nice to not be making decisions about where to go, when to eat, where to eat, arrange transportation, etc. and still have some choices.- Lakewood, WA
Our leaders were fantastic - "off the charts"! A family trip is really challenging and they had a large group of teenage boys that they were wonderful with (no small feat), encouraging them in all the activities, getting the shy ones to come into their own, keeping up with the more outgoing ones and rising to every occasion. At the same time they made a group of preteen girls fall totally in love with them. And finally, they made us parents feel truly relaxed, taking over all the logistics and details of tours, transportation, meals and much more. The local guides were all great and it was clear that our leaders had nurtured good relationships with them, and even friendships. Costa Rica has much to offer, but it always comes down to the personal experiences one has, and those were memorable.- Vienna,VA
Our leaders were tremendously welcoming and knowledgeable. They made the trip run smoothly and set the right tone of adventure, fun and learning. The week went by too quickly, and we are eager to experience the Backroads magic with our family again as soon as possible.- Cleveland, OH
Fabulous trip! I can't think of a single thing I would change about it.- Hoffman Estates, IL
Unbelievable trip. I knew it would be cool but had no idea how incredible this trip would be. There are no words for how great this was. It will be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Truly the best trip I have ever taken. Backroads is incredible - the organization was seamless!
An excellent time with many varied activities, which were great. Something new every day.- Honeoye Falls, NY
We thoroughly enjoyed our Backroads trip. It pulled our family together, got us all outside, and we felt happier and healthier by the end of the week.- Andover, MA
We absolutely loved this trip! We are a very active extended family of 15 and everyone enjoyed this trip! Backroads delivers!