Click, click. Check out those giant deer... Wait - they're elk? Cool! What makes the lake so blue? Doesn't even look like real water. Click. Hey you guys! There's a bald eagle in that tree! Just saw a marmot, too. Click, click. I think I see that mountain we climbed yesterday. Mom, Dad: Say cheeeeese! Click, click. Get one of me and the Trip Leaders. Now with my bike. Click. We're going rafting tomorrow, right? That waterfall is the tallest thing I've ever seen! This is the best - click, click - vacation ever.
Day 1 Awesome views of Mount Rundle and Cascade Mountain are yours to admire while biking from Banff to Lake Minnewanka Tackle the climb to a beautiful lookout on Mount Norquay Explore the charming town of Banff, the gateway to the Canadian Rockies.
Day 2 Old-fashioned charm meets contemporary sophistication at the award-winning Post Hotel There's nothing quite like a morning spin past towering peaks, virgin forests and the blue-green Bow River A short walk through Johnston Canyon reveals a stunning waterfall Kids partake in their own special dinner and night out while adults savor epicurean delights in the Post Dining Room.
Day 3 Gaze at the reflection of Mount Victoria in the turquoise waters of Lake Louise The younger crowd teams up with a local guide for a rock-climbing lesson Meanwhile the grown-ups embark on a classic Rockies hike to the historic Plain of Six Glaciers Teahouse If you can pull your eyes away from the spectacular view of peaks and glaciers, you may spot marmots in the boulder fields nearby Join local bear expert and researcher Colleen Campbell for "Bear Biology 101."
Days 4-6 Rafting on the Kicking Horse River - a splashing good time with a taste of white-water thrills! Admire views of Mount Quadra and Bident Mountain during a stroll to Consolation Lake At Emerald Lake Lodge, relax in the outdoor hot tub or paddle a canoe on the lake Dig into a farewell lunch before returning to Banff.
- Awesome views of Mount Rundle, Cascade Mountain and dramatically eroded sandstone hoodoos
- Old-world charm meets contemporary sophistication at the award-winning Post Hotel
- Kids enjoy a fun-filled day rock climbing with expert guides
- Rafting on the Kicking Horse River - a splashing good time
- The chance to spot deer, elk and black bears
Premiere & Casual Inns
The Rimrock Resort Hotel (1 night): A grand contemporary lodge on Sulphur Mountain with awe-inspiring views of Bow Valley and the surrounding Rockies. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
Post Hotel & Spa (2 nights): This European-style chalet set on the Pipestone and Bow Rivers is the epitome of old-world elegance. A Relais & Châteaux member. Travel + Leisure World's Best. (pool, spa)
Emerald Lake Lodge (2 nights): A secluded turn-of-the century lodge, built of hand-hewn timber and featuring massive stone fireplaces, on the shore of a spectacular tree-rimmed glacial lake.
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids||Rock Climbing (5 Hours)|
|5||Rafting||on the Kicking Horse River (5 Hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 8/4-9 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $930 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/11-16 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $930 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/18-23 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $930 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/22-27 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/29-7/4 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/6-11 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/13-18 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/20-25 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/27-8/1 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/3-8 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/10-15 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/17-22 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $860 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 6 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to raft and rock climb: 6 years
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ cultural appreciation, difficulty/restrictions of activities and route
- 9+ several long adult dinners, difficulty/restrictions of activities and route
- 6+ several long adult dinners; parent may not be able to pull a Burley and/or there may be multiple activity restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $5,498 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,098 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,298 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|2 - 3 guests from $6,098 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,098 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,298 pp dbl. occ.|
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
Honestly, the best family week we have spent together.- Villanova, PA
Eighteen members of our family - ranging in age from 6 to 70 - had the most exhilarating and enjoyable time in the Canadian Rockies, biking, white-water rafting, rock climbing, and hiking... Every detail for every activity was meticulously managed, and every need of every family member was fully accommodated. This was a trip and experience for the ages. The leaders worked exceptionally well with one another, and early in the trip, we all felt as though they were members of our family. Riding, hiking, and rafting with my grandchildren as they challenged themselves and had one great experience after another and as they surprised themselves when they were able to achieve more than they thought themselves capable of made this trip special - one that I will cherish.- Christiansburg, VA
Fantastic in all respects. Felt very prepared for it and can't think of much to change or anything that could've been materially better. Great family trip.- Milwaukee, WI