Open up and dive in! To the pages of a Bohemian storybook adventure. Complete with spires, turrets and onion-shaped domes. Medieval castles, sword fighting, Schuhplattler dancers and goulash. Opening scene: Prague. Captivating. Emerging. It's just the start. Bike rides through verdant countryside. The chance in magical Český Krumlov to stump Czech Professor Nechlebová, a walking encyclopedia. Kids get a taste of the Renaissance watching falconry at Schloss Rosenburg castle and wield Iron Age-style tools in Mitterkirchen. Pedal by the Danube. Taste Wachau Valley wine and grape juice. Final scene: Vienna. Intriguing. Let's get started!
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Service StandardsThe Czech Republic is a welcoming and fascinating country in the process of exciting change. While not a priority during the country's communist years, service is improving, though you may not always experience the level of convenience or service typically found on Backroads trips. Know that your Backroads leaders are there to smooth out the edges and make you as comfortable as possible.
Day 1 En garde! A theatrical sword-fighting display, courtesy of the Brothers of the Rose, entrances kids and adults alike From beautiful Lake Lipno, bike through Bohemia's rolling pastures, evergreen forests and quiet villages to the World Heritage site of Český Krumlov, a charming 13th-century town with twisting lanes and red-tile roofs.
Day 2 Adults dive into Czech history with Helena, our local friend and historian, at an informal Q&A and walking tour of Český Krumlov Spin into the countryside, passing lush meadows and timeless homesteads sporting traditional folk architecture.
Day 3 Two intriguing countries and cultures in one trip Arriving in Austria, pedal rolling green hills through the famous Mostviertel district, known for its distinctive most (hard apple cider) Kids visit the Mitterkirchen open-air museum, where a re-created Celtic village offers a glimpse into the past, then test their aim at nine-pin bowling Dinner is served with a rousing performance by Schuhplattler dancers.
Day 4 Crisscross the fabled Danube River as you ride along the Donauradweg, the well-loved Danube bike path Impressive World Heritage-site Melk Abbey, towering on a bluff above the river, comes into view en route to the charming town of Weissenkirchen.
Days 5-6 Austria's picture-perfect villages with onion-shaped church steeples Bike through the Kamptal region, stopping for a sample - wine for adults and grape juice for kids Grown-ups keep pedaling while the younger set heads to a Renaissance castle for a fun and fascinating falconry demonstration Which sounds best? Spinning to the archaeological site of Willendorf, walking among vineyards and fruit orchards, or just relaxing at the hotel.
- Discover two intriguing countries and cultures in one trip
- Český Krumlov, a 13th-century Bohemian town with storybook castles and charming squares
- Crisscross the Danube River amid timeless villages and onion-domed churches
- A private, theatrical sword-fighting display entrances both kids and adults
- Dig into hearty Czech and Austrian specialties at local family-friendly restaurants
Hotel Zlatý Andel (2 nights): Three buildings in the Gothic style compose this unique and central hotel, set on the town's main historic square.
Das Schloss an der Eisenstrasse (1 night): Set on the idyllic Ybbs River, this family-run hotel is comprised of a renovated castle and an adjacent modern building. (pool, spa)
Hotel Kirchenwirt (2 nights): Austrian hospitality and Danube views abound at this comfortable guest house.
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Adults: Cesky Krumlov Guided Walk (45 Minutes)|
|Kids: Renaissance Romp (1.5 Hours)|
|Kids: Afternoon Living Museum Visit (1.5 Hours)|
|Kids: Evening Bowling|
|Kids: Schloss Rosenburg Visit (1 Hour)|
|Hiking (1.9 Miles; 100` Elevation Gain)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/7-12 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $330 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/14-19 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $330 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/21-26 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $330 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/28-7/3 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $330 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/5-10 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $330 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/12-17 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $330 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/19-24 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $330 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/26-31 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $330 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/2-7 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $330 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/9-14 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $330 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/16-21 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $330 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- No Burleys available on this trip
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $5,898 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,098 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,898 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,198 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
I'm a great fan of Backroads, and your Trip Leaders are what differentiates you from other active travel companies.- Palo Alto, CA
This trip exceeded all my high expectations! What a great way to experience Europe with our four girls. They were never bored, and almost always happy! We were especially pleased with the flexibility of the biking options. Although we are an active family, we have not been avid cyclists. They offered us all a nice challenge without being overwhelming (especially considering the fact my husband had to tow our youngest on a piccolo!).- Wilmington, NC