Perfection cannot be rushed. Just ask anyone in Vermont or Québec. They know their sublime Northern Appalachian landscape didn't turn up overnight. It took eons. Continents collided. Glaciers scraped. Weather scoured. Each step doing its part to create a masterpiece of rolling hills, lush serene valleys and pristine lakes. Logical really, that the best things in life take time. Like biking through this untouched part of North America. Savoring fresh air. Hand-pressed apple cider. Winding roads. Handicrafts. The perfect vacation.
Days 1-2 Bike through quintessential Vermont, with classic New England scenery Idyllically set Stowe invites you into its historic downtown, full of handcrafted furniture and specialty foods Pedal on peaceful roads, passing farms, forested mountains and tranquil lakes.
Day 3 Covered bridges and babbling brooks line our route north through the sleepy communities of Waterville, Belvidere and Montgomery Center Make your way up winding roads to Jay Peak and feast your eyes on sweeping vistas of Long Trail State Forest.
Day 4 Spin through Québec's enchanting Eastern Townships, where artisans abound and French is spoken Trace the eastern shore of beautiful 27-mile-long Lake Memphrémagog, rumored to harbor a sea creature Mont Orford rises above this verdant glacier-carved landscape Cycle past charming summer homes and an endless shimmering lake.
Days 5-6 Warm Québecois culture and mouthwatering cuisine, including fresh cheese, apple cider and duck foie gras Ride south through gorgeous valleys and past sparkling lakes, picturesque farms, craftsmen's stores and quaint villages In North Hatley, browse delightful galleries and antiques shops Shuttle back to Burlington or on to Québec City, North America's only remaining fortified city, with impressive architecture, cobbled streets and French heritage.
- Two countries and cultures; one trip of idyllic mountains, valleys and lakes
- Bike quiet rolling roads past classic New England farms, maple syrup stands and covered bridges
- Québec's enchanting Eastern Townships, where artisans abound and French is spoken
- Taste maple syrup, fresh cheeses, foie gras, apple cider and other local delights
- Québec City, with impressive architecture and French heritage - why not extend your trip to see it?
Topnotch Resort & Spa (2 nights): This "120-acre resort has turned itself into the most sumptuous in Stowe," says Condé Nast Traveler. (pool, spa, tennis)
Tram Haus Lodge (1 night): Old chairlift towers, sheave wheels and tram cable are cleverly incorporated into the décor of this welcoming modern lodge at the base of Jay Peak Resort. (spa, golf)
Manoir Hovey (2 nights): Set on the shore of pristine Lake Massawippi, this luxurious 1899 Georgian inn was modeled after George Washington's home in Mount Vernon. (pool, tennis)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 7/5-10 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/19-24 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/2-7 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/16-21 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/30-9/4 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/13-18 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/20-25 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/4-9 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $5,498 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $3,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,298 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,198 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
Great vacation. Neither of us wants to sit on a beach. This was a great way to see a part of the world we haven't been to, meet new people, eat great food and find out what our limits are (a lot higher than I thought).