Is this the trip on which your kid develops an eye for Etruscan figurative art? Or learns the key features of Quattrocento Renaissance architecture? Maybe not. But it doesn't take a genius to know that Tuscany scores top marks for family fun. Enjoy miles of smiles on kid-approved routes. Discover ancient hill towns and climb a medieval tower (fueled by gelato, of course!). Taste truffles - and meet the dog that sniffs them out. Chianti tasting for the adults. Hands-on pizza making for the youngsters. Enjoy your perfect family adventure in Tuscany.
Day 1 Family-friendly routes past cypress trees, vineyards, grazing sheep and stone farmhouses Enjoy a warm-up spin from the 16th-century chapel of San Vivaldo through picturesque countryside and quaint towns.
Day 2 Savor classic local delicacies, including truffles, pasta and gelato It's a quick downhill ride to Corrazzano, with a stop at Tartufi Nacci to learn about truffles While adults sample the goods (think truffle oil, cheese and pasta), kids accompany a truffle-sniffing dog on a hunt! Break for a gourmet picnic at an agriturismo (country retreat and working farm).
Day 3 Discover iconic hill towns brimming with history, including San Gimignano Pedal to Volterra, known for its alabaster and wealth of Etruscan and Roman ruins Kids hunt for clues and riddles amongst the towers of medieval San Gimignano, giving grown-ups the chance to gaze at at the city from our scenic country abode.
Day 4 Adults taste notable regional wines and dine at a trattoria, while youngsters put together a well-rounded meal - pizza and cookies! Bike through rolling pastureland, wheat fields and grape vines to the "crown" on the hill, Monteriggioni, whose medieval ramparts sport 14 stone towers.
Days 5-6 Visit Badia a Coltibuono (or "Abbey of the Good Harvest"), a private estate producing its own olive oil and honey Wonderful vistas abound during a ride through the heart of Chianti Explore ridgetop Radda, the center of Chianti wine production, before hitting the shops and gelaterie of Castellina, an ancient village with a unique arcaded passageway.
- Iconic hill towns of San Gimignano and Radda in Chianti
- Family-friendly routes past cypress trees, vineyards, grazing sheep and stone farmhouses
- Tour a medieval abbey, now a private estate producing its own olive oil and honey
- Savor classic Tuscan indulgences, including truffles and gelato
- A night of pizza- and cookie-making for the kids, and wine tasting and feasting for the adults
Palazzo Mannaioni (2 nights): Originally a 16th-century residence, this hotel is set along the medieval walls of Montaione. (pool)
Hotel Pescille (1 night): Once a working farm, , this comfortable hotel offers spectacular views of San Gimignano's medieval skyline. (pool)
Relais Fattoria Valle (2 nights): Situated just outside the village of Panzano, this former private residence overlooks vineyards and the surrounding valley. (pool)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids: Treasure hunt in San Gimignano|
|Kids: Pizza & biscotti making|
* Includes a shuttle
2013 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/9-14 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/16-21 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/23-28 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/25-30 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/30-7/5 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/2-7 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/7-12 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/9-14 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/21-26 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/28-8/2 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/4-9 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/6-11 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/11-16 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/13-18 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/18-23 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/20-25 Price: $3298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/25-30 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/3-8 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $690 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 9 years
- No Burleys available on this trip
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Guest Trip Reviews
One of the best trips we ever had as a family. The kids would have been miserable sightseeing countless museums and churches. What a fabulous way to really experience Italy and the culture while being with a fun social group. My teenagers truly enjoyed having the other kids their age on the trip. We all had a wonderful time. It was great blend of exercise, sightseeing, and cultural experiences. LOVED IT!!!! We had three amazing leaders. All wonderful!!! There will definitely be more Backroads trips in our future!!- Greensboro, NC
This trip ranks as one of my favorite all-time vacations. The setting in Tuscany is breathtakingly beautiful. This trip was everything I imagined and more! I especially enjoyed meeting the other families. There was also a very nice mix of kids. The Trip Leaders were exceptional - very personable and took a very special interest in the group. All of them were very good with kids. They provided excellent van support. By the end of the trip, the leaders and the entire group had really bonded. It was really hard to leave such a nice group of people.- Houston, TX
Biking Tuscany was a great experience for my family. Our leaders were excellent and catered to our every need. Their knowledge of the region was excellent and they were a constant source of information. In addition, the chemistry between them was very energetic. The choice of lodging and cuisine was superb and offered a great sampling of the area. Thank you, Backroads. We will definitely return.- Bethesda, MD
Backroads surpassed by vacation expectations by bringing together some truly remarkable people in a wonderful setting to enjoy the beauty of biking, culture and fellowship. Not only were the 9-5 activities (biking) off the charts, but also the 5-11 events were equally stimulating and impressive. We are already planning a trip reunion.- Prospect, KY
This was really a knockout trip for me. The itinerary cherry-picked scenic route after scenic route and it never stopped being incredibly charming and beautiful. Every destination just dripped with atmosphere. The leaders were what I've come to expect with Backroads, and more: great people who magically made everything come together for us. True perfection.- San Diego, CA
We normally stay at five-star resorts when we travel to unfamiliar places. The Premiere Inn trip was sold out so we signed up for the Casual Inn trip in Tuscany. It was a tremendous experience! The leaders and the families on this trip were "off the charts." It was a fabulous adventure for our family.- Rye, NY
Backroads was possibly the best vacation of my life! At points it was challenging considering all the hills we biked up, but it gave all of us a wonderful sense of accomplishment.- Columbus, OH