This week will be officially referred to as "The Ride." Start the day overlooking Italian vineyards and by afternoon gaze at the majestic beauty of the Julian Alps. Welcome the challenge of two completely empty alpine passes (save for your fellow biking companions). Fight that inner conflict between taking in the view and taking on the next corner. Remember how to say "Good Morning" in Slovenian. Toast in the stunning town of Bled. And, yes, tasting the local pinot grigio and tocai will be incredible. But it's still about the ride.
Day 1 Bike tranquil lanes with light traffic and unparalleled scenery Visit Aquileia, a World Heritage site with exquisitely restored Roman ruins Worked up an appetite? Feast on delicious polenta, prosciutto San Daniele, and other Friulian specialties at Michelin-starred La Subida.
Day 2 Superlative white wines from the Collio region of Friuli, one of Italy's best-kept secrets, where low hills lie blanketed in chestnut forests, cherry orchards and tidy vineyards On rolling hills, venture into neighboring Slovenia and the Goriška Brda wine region for incredible riding and your first taste of Eastern European culture Enjoy hearty alpine cuisine at an agriturismo, a working farm where we're treated like family.
Days 3-4 Challenge yourself on two mountain passes reminiscent of classic climbs in that famous French bike race After a thrilling descent, enter Soča River Valley for a spin to the sleepy village of Bovec ("beautiful valley") Take in the turquoise Soča River and remarkable limestone peaks of Triglav National Park.
Days 5-6 Explore Slovenia's most breathtaking alpine destination,Lake Bled, whose island harbors a magnificent 17th-century church - you'll arrive by pletna (traditional wooden boat) Find villages steeped in tradition en route to gorgeous high-altitude Lake Bohinj The glamorous resort town of Bled, beloved for its thermal spas, inspires rejuvenation Journey to Ljubljana, with its unique Austrian flavor and vibrant cultural scene.
- Bike tranquil lanes with light traffic and unparalleled scenery
- Challenge yourself on two alpine passes, comparable to the great climbs of the French Alps
- Sip superlative white wines from the Collio region of Friuli, one of Italy's best kept secrets
- Ready for an unforgettable dinner at Michelin-starred La Subida?
- Fall in love with Slovenia's most romantic alpine destination, Lake Bled
Castello di Spessa (2 nights): Set in graceful gardens and tranquil parkland among rolling hills, this elegant castle traces its roots back to the Roman Empire and once hosted Casanova. (golf)
Hotel Mangart (1 night): Enjoy unmatched views of the soaring peaks that surround this comfortable alpine retreat. (spa)
Hotel Vila Bled (2 nights): Once Tito’s summer villa, this hotel enjoys a spectacular location on the shore of Lake Bled and offers a private lido with row boats. (spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Aquileia Guided Walk (1 Hour)|
|Castle Walk (2 Hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 5/17-22 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/14-19 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/21-26 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/5-10 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/12-17 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/26-31 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/9-14 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/23-28 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/30-9/4 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/6-11 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/13-18 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/20-25 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $720 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/27-10/2 Price: $3798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $620 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $5,898 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,098 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $4,898 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $3,798 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
This was an incredible trip. The biking was challenging but so rewarding. There is nothing more inspiring than working your way through a steep climb only to be rewarded with the most stunningly beautiful views of snowcapped mountains, waterfalls and crystal clear rivers. Our guides were wonderful - so full of local knowledge, completely accommodating and simply a pleasure to be around. They anticipated our every need and want, surprising us with little touches throughout each day. I hope we are lucky enough to have them again as guides!- Harrison, NY
Unique and wonderful sites, challenging biking, superb leaders! Another SUPERB Backroads trip! Having taken more than 25 trips with Backroads, we continue to marvel at the quality of your leaders, itineraries, cultural experiences, and accommodations. We plan to take many more trips with you!- Minneapolis, MN
Once again, Backroads provided what I've come to expect - top-rated guides leading us through beautiful scenery, providing historical background and context, and delivering us to fine hotels and dining.- Brookline, MA