Welcome to the cycling center of the Eastern Seaboard. And welcome to this incredible trip, a celebration of breathtaking natural beauty, rich Southern Appalachia culture and some of the most glorious riding you’ll ever experience! From the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina to the undulating rollers of South Carolina’s Blue Ridge Foothills. From artsy Asheville to the outdoor lover’s mecca of Greenville. From George Vanderbilt’s opulent Biltmore Estate to George Hincapie’s cycle-centric hotel, get set to experience one of our most pedal-perfect offerings yet.
Days 1-2 Step back in time as you explore George Vanderbilt's magnificent Loire Valley-inspired château and gardens, set on the 8,000-acre Biltmore Estate Pedal past scenic overlooks and through lush forests Learn about southern Appalachian culture and shop for unique local crafts at the Blue Ridge Parkway Folk Arts Center Enjoy views of the Blue Ridge Mountains as you spin through idyllic countryside near the charming town of Weaverville.
Day 3 Point your wheels south toward Travelers Rest, located at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains in South Carolina If you enjoy rolling terrain, you'll love pedaling through this beautiful stretch of Southern Appalachia and classic Carolina farmland Stretch your legs on a short walk to view the majestic waterfalls of Dupont after your picnic lunch Challenge yourself on the ascent of Caesars Head or shuttle to the top—either way, the view from the summit is spectacular Among the vineyards of Hotel Domestique, watch the sun set behind the mountains.
Days 4-5 Relax at George Hincapie's Mediterranean-style Hotel Domestique Set out on a peaceful ride through the Greenville Watershed Area and experience a slower pace of life in the historic Victorian mountain village of Saluda Local pro George Hincapie calls this area one of the world's best places for cycling! At Restaurant 17, fuel up with a wonderful dinner created by chef Adam Cooke, "one of America's 40 Best Chefs Under 40" Ride the Swamp Rabbit Trail along the Reedy River into Greenville, one of the country's hippest emerging vacation destinations.
- From art deco to abstract expressionism, the arts scene thrives in eclectic Asheville
- Marvel at the spectacular waterfalls and stunning colors of the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Feel the two-wheel love in Transylvania County, dubbed the Cycling Capital of the South
- Luxuriate at Hotel Domestique, a hip new boutique hotel co-owned by pro rider George Hincapie
- Greenville—Outside magazine's "2013 America's Best Town Ever" Popular Vote Winner
Inn on Biltmore Estate (2 nights): Savor turn-of-the-century elegance and breathtaking views of the Blue Ridge Mountains at this gracious inn, nestled on Biltmore's majestic estate. (pool, spa)
Hotel Domestique (2 nights): Set amid the rolling Blue Ridge Mountains and "uniquely catering to two-wheel aficionados," this stylish boutique hotel is the brainchild of 17-time Tour de France competitor George Hincapie and his brother Rich. (pool)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 5/11-15 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/18-22 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/1-5 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/8-12 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/22-26 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/29-7/3 Price: $2898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/2-6 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/9-13 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/14-18 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/16-20 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/21-25 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/23-27 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/28-10/2 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/30-10/4 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/5-9 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/7-11 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/11-15 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1020 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,598 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.
Guest Trip Reviews
The sights and sounds of the Carolinas are best experienced and explored actively - pedaling along the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway, stopping to take in the picturesque vistas and beauty of the area, meandering along the pathways of the Biltmore Estate, reliving the past (Civil War, Antebellum South and Gilded Age), or being inspired by the local arts scene extending from Asheville to Greenville. This trip offers the perfect combination of stellar biking, natural splendor, history and southern hospitality.- Trip Expert & Carolina native