An island almost as close to Africa as to Europe. Teeming with millennia of cultural heritage. How does it hang on through history? With passion. That’s Sicily. Where the people are some of Europe’s friendliest hosts. Where artistic and architectural monuments hail from countless centuries. Where you’ll ride among orange groves above the Mediterranean Sea as Mount Etna simmers on the horizon. Savor seafood that forever raises the bar. Grilled swordfish. Snapper prepared cipollata, served with bold red Nero d’Avola. Then indulge in cannoli filled on the spot with impossibly fresh ricotta. Ready to surrender to an island’s passions? Let it be Sicily.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Biking in SicilyAlthough Sicily is part of Italy, the island can feel worlds away from the mainland, as it remains one of the country’s most rural and economically challenged regions. Cycling here is both a physical and cultural experience where a touch of patience and humor go a long way–watch out for that rooster! And believe it or not, litter can occasionally be part of the landscape, especially when aproaching small villages. For most, these challenges are overpowered by the indelible beauty of Sicily’s serene countryside and its warm hospitality.
Service StandardsThe slower pace and relaxed approach to life in Sicily is one of the highlights of this spectacular island and is reflected in the inns and restaurants on this trip. This said, service can lack a sense of urgency when compared with the service found in other regions. Because dining is an event unto itself here, our restaurants encourage you to slow down and enjoy a leisurely paced meal. Your best bet is to sit back, relax and soak in the Sicilian way of life.
Day 1 Fantastic biking in the shadow of Mount Etna, Europe's largest active volcano A feast of traditional Sicilian cuisine awaits at a Slow Food osteria, tucked among Catania's rolling hills Ride quiet roads through the Late Baroque towns of the Val di Noto to 15th-century Castello Camemi, our country home for two nights.
Days 2-3 Ascend the 142 tiled stairs in Caltagirone, inhabited since the Bronze Age and renowned for intricately painted ceramics The fragrance of orange blossoms wafts by as you pedal a route lined with windmills, orchards and olive groves A local ceramic artist opens his studio just for us Taste fresh-pressed olive oil at a centuries-old agriturismo set in a valley of cherry, almond and citrus trees.
Day 4 Incredible Sicilian Baroque architecture at the World Heritage sites of Scicli, Modica and Ragusa Dessert lovers, rejoice! Indulge in homemade gelato by the sea in Donnalucata.
Days 5-6 Marvel at archaeological treasures Seafood antipasti, sardines and other local favorites melt in your mouth at a lively pescheria, which serves up good times and great food Enjoy a stroll through Siracusa's old city, Ortigia Soak up the Sicilian sun and swim in the crystal-clear Mediterranean at our hotel's private beach.
- Marvel at views of Mount Etna, the largest active volcano in Europe
- Pedal lightly traveled country roads past ancient olive trees and citrus groves
- Ascend the 142 tiled stairs of Caltagirone
- Incredible Sicilian baroque architecture at the World Heritage sites of Scicli, Modica and Ragusa
- Indulge in the island's bounty, from prosciutto and ricotta to wine and olive oil
Castello Camemi (2 nights): A beautifully restored 15th-century fortified castle that was once home to a noble family. (pool)
Eremo della Giubiliana (2 nights): With expansive ocean vistas and orchards of almonds, figs and olives, this elegant property dates back 900 years when it was a hermitage and fortress. (pool)
Grand Hotel Minareto (1 night): Take in stellar sea views at this luxury resort, perched on a promontory overlooking the pristine Plemmirio Marine Nature Reserve. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Scicli Guided Walking Tour (1 Hour)|
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 4/19-24 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/3-8 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/17-22 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/24-29 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/31-6/5 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/7-12 Price: $4498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/21-26 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/30-9/4 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/6-11 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/13-18 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/20-25 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/27-10/2 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/4-9 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/11-16 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/18-23 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/25-30 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1400 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,498 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $5,698 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
Trip of a lifetime for my husband and I. I always dreamed of a trip to Italy, the beauty of Sicily was fabulous. I felt like I was in a movie set every day. The accommodations, additional experiences (ie; the Sicilian singers) were fantastic. The attention to every detail of our comfort, food, water, route advice, etc. was top-notch. Can't wait to book another!- Birmingham, MI
I never expected to see and learn so much. This trip through Sicily was better than anything I had expected and I have made memories that will last a lifetime.- Madison, WI