An island almost as close to Africa as to Europe. How does it hang on through history? With passion. That's Sicily. Where the people are some of Europe's friendliest hosts. Where artistic and architectural monuments hail from every century. Where you'll ride among orange groves above the Mediterranean Sea as Mount Etna simmers on the horizon. Savor seafood that forever raises the bar. Grilled swordfish. Snapper prepared cipollata in a vinegar and sugar sauce. Sip bold red Nero d'Avola and admire vibrant local ceramics. Ready to surrender to an island's passions? Let it be Sicily.
Day 1 Fantastic biking in the shadow of Mount Etna, Europe's largest active volcano A feast of traditional Sicilian cuisine awaits at a Slow Food osteria, nestled among Catania's rolling hills Ride quiet roads through the Late Baroque towns of the Val di Noto to 15th-century Castello Camemi, our country home for two nights.
Days 2-3 Ascend the 142 tiled stairs in Caltagirone, inhabited since the Bronze Age and renowned for intricately painted ceramics The fragrance of orange blossoms wafts by as you pedal a route lined with windmills, orchards and olive groves Taste fresh-pressed olive oil at a centuries-old agriturismo An evening of folkloric music and dancing reveals vibrant Sicilian culture in full swing.
Day 4 Incredible Sicilian Baroque architecture at the World Heritage sites of Scicli, Módica and Ragusa Dessert lovers rejoice! Indulge in homemade gelato by the sea in Donnalucata.
Days 5-6 Marvel at archaeological treasures Seafood antipasti, sardines and other local favorites melt in your mouth at a lively pescheria, which serves up good times and great food Stroll to historic seaside Siracusa's bustling fish market or soak up stunning Mediterranean views Enjoy a walking tour of Siracusa's old city, Ortygia.
- Marvel at views of Mount Etna, the largest active volcano in Europe
- Pedal lightly traveled country roads past ancient olive trees and citrus groves
- Ascend the 142 tiled stairs of Caltagirone
- Incredible Sicilian Baroque architecture at World Heritage sites of Scicli, Módica and Ragusa
- Indulge in the island's bounty, from prosciutto and ricotta to wine and olive oil
Castello Camemi (2 nights): A beautifully restored 15th-century fortified castle that was once home to a noble family. (pool)
Eremo della Giubiliana (2 nights): With expansive ocean vistas and orchards of almonds, figs and olives, this elegant Andrew Harper favorite dates back 900 years when it was a hermitage and fortress. (pool, spa)
Des Etrangers Hotel & Spa (1 night): With a great location in the center of Ortygia, a Sicilian Neoclassical-style inn with sea views from the guest rooms and rooftop terrace. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Scicli guided walking tour (1 hour)|
|6||Ortygia walking tour (1.5 hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 4/20-25 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/4-9 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/18-23 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/1-6 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/15-20 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/22-27 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/24-29 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/7-12 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/14-19 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/21-26 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/28-10/3 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/5-10 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/12-17 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/19-24 Price: $4198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/26-31 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1070 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date in next year's lineup for your group of 8 or more - just book by December 31st of this year. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $6,398 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $5,598 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $5,198 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $4,998 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $4,498 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $4,198 pp dbl. occ.
Guest Trip Reviews
Trip of a lifetime for my husband and I. I always dreamed of a trip to Italy, the beauty of Sicily was fabulous. I felt like I was in a movie set every day. The accommodations, additional experiences (ie; the Sicilian singers) were fantastic. The attention to every detail of our comfort, food, water, route advice, etc. was top notch. Can't wait to book another!- Birmingham, MI
I never expected to see and learn so much. This trip through Sicily was better than anything I had expected and I have made memories that will last a life time.- Madison, WI