From rolling hills and historic towns to the boutique wineries of the Santa Ynez Valley, it's all about sipping, sunshine and cycling—a veritable trifecta of weekend perfection. Picture a glass of award-winning chardonnay in your hand, the California sun warming your face. Imagine a sense of utter relaxation enhanced by the pure satisfaction of a stellar day's ride. Better yet, don't just dream about three fabulous days in Santa Barbara County. Join us and make them a reality!
Day 1 Discover the "other" California Wine Country Welcome to a fun-filled weekend getaway that feels much longer! After shuttling from hip and artsy Santa Barbara, pedal into the pine- and chaparral-covered mountains of the Santa Ynez Valley for views of vineyards, ranchland and rolling countryside Hop off your bike and sample syrah made from the region's oldest vines Savor a bountiful picnic at one of the area's wineries A pastoral inland route leads past orchards, impeccably manicured vineyards and ranches bordered by endless white fences The town of Los Olivos welcomes us with charming Victorian architecture, an eclectic art scene and friendly tasting rooms A wine pairing dinner awaits.
Day 2 Dine on haute California cuisine with a Mediterranean flair Pedal rural roads past grapevines in the fertile Central Coast wine region and along farms where some of the world’s finest race horses are boarded and trained Get to know Solvang, a delightful taste of Denmark right here in California Founded by a group of Danes in 1911, the town's name means "sunny fields" in Danish Challenge yourself on one of the classic climbs of Santa Barbara County, a 10-mile ascent with rave-worthy vistas of the Santa Ynez Valley Roadside lavender farms provide a splash of color (and aroma!) along the way Be sure to allow for some pool and spa time back at the hotel.
Day 3 Spin through the undulating landscape of Ballard Canyon —a favorite route for time trials in the Tour of California Your eyes aren't playing tricks on you—that's an ostrich farm you're pedaling past Say goodbye over lunch at the Coquelicot Vineyards tasting room.
- Slip away for a carefree Mediterranean weekend—right here in beautiful California
- Bike the bucolic Santa Ynez Valley, where tastings of celebrated wines are just a stop away
- Pedal on peaceful rural roads past farms, horse ranches and grapevines
- Rejuvenate at the elegant Fess Parker Wine Country Inn and Spa in lovely Los Olivos
- Test your legs (and marvel at the views) on a big climb popular with local cyclists
Fess Parker Wine Country Inn & Spa (2 nights): Each room at this elegant boutique hotel, which dates back to 1888, features a private fireplace. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 4/24-26 Price: $2098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $630 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/8-10 Price: $2098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $630 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/19-21 Price: $1898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $630 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/17-19 Price: $1898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $630 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/14-16 Price: $1898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $630 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/28-30 Price: $1898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $630 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/11-13 Price: $1898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $630 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/25-27 Price: $1898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $630 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/9-11 Price: $1898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $630 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/23-25 Price: $1898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $630 for sgl. occ.)
- 11/6-8 Price: $1898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $630 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $2,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $3,298 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,198 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $2,898 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $1,898 pp dbl. occ.|
All Private Singles-Solos trips require a minimum of 16 guests.
Guest Trip Reviews
This was such a nice experience and one that I have always wanted to do. Glad it was with Backroads! The rides, the scenery, the accommodations, the food, the wines and the trip leaders were tops.- Marietta, GA