"A Dutchman without a bike is like a fish without water" so the saying goes. In Holland, with nearly one bicycle for every person, everyone rides - even the King and Queen. And in bike-crazy Belgium, home of cycling great Eddie Merckx, passion for le vélo is legendary. You'll find it all makes sense, the Dutch and Belgian zeal for two wheels. You'll find it in the pastoral flat-as-a-pannekoek landscape, amid the flower fields and silent canals. And in the timeless towns and storybook villages. You'll even find it post-ride - whether in the form of a fine Belgian Lambic or delectable Belgian chocolates. We invite you and your gang to bike with us in Holland and Belgium. And feel the love.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Navigating Bike PathsThe Dutch & Belgians are famous for their love of bikes. And that love of bikes has created an amazing labyrinth of bike paths and routes that extend throughout each country. Many of the paths we utilize on this trip are the equivalent of scenic byways, linking quaint villages and big cities alike. Navigating these intricate bike routes requires more attention to the directions than you might expect. Be prepared to make more stops than you usually would to ensure you're on the right track, all the while experiencing the occasional rush of riding among many locals as they commute and run errands by bike.
Days 1-2 Timeless scenery straight out of a Dutch masterpiece Begin with a leisurely ride from Alkmaar to Santpoort, located on the edge of a scenic coastal forest Enjoy biking the rolling Dutch dunes Emerald-green fields and horse farms lead the way to The Hague, our home for the next two nights.
Day 3 Bike through hamlets and countryside to Gouda, where the beloved cheese originates Delight in a visit to the World Heritage site of Kinderdijk, known for its 19 windmills once used to drain the surrounding floodplain Taste a wedge of distinctive Gouda - or perhaps a slice of appeltaart? Biking is a way of life here in the Netherlands, and it's a pleasure to join the locals as you cruise through the region, passing dikes and quaint villages.
Days 4-6 Uncover the captivating history and culture of two countries in a single trip Pedal over the border into Belgium It's a scenic spin to romantic Bruges - nearly car-free and ideal for exploring on foot Discover the medieval city's nooks and crannies, narrow cobblestone streets, steep-gabled brick houses, lofty spires and meandering canals Kids are treated to a chocolate tasting at a local shop.
- Uncover the captivating history and culture of two countries in a single trip
- Windmills, canals, pitch-roofed farmhouses and vast skies - scenery straight out of a picture book
- A welcoming bike culture of epic proportions
- Flat terrain and easygoing routes perfect for a range of abilities
- Luxuriate in hotels reminiscent of the 17th-century Golden Age
Landgoed Duin & Kruidberg (1 night): A historic country estate situated within a national park, and featuring a Michelin-starred restaurant.
Hotel des Indes (2 nights): Built in 1858 to host aristocrats and heads of state, this opulent former palace is set on the shady Lange Voorhout among the cafés, restaurants and shops of the historic city center. (pool, spa)
Hotel De Tuilerieën (2 nights): An elegant hotel - originally a 15th-century noble residence - overlooking Den Dyver, the most picturesque canal in Bruges. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (pool)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids: Horseback riding (2 hours)|
|Kids: Chocolate tasting (1 hour)|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/20-25 Price: $4698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $940 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/1-6 Price: $4298 pp dbl. occ., (+ $940 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/8-13 Price: $4598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $940 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/22-27 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $940 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/29-8/3 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $940 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/5-10 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $940 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/12-17 Price: $4098 pp dbl. occ., (+ $940 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 6 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 7 years
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ cultural appreciation, difficulty/restrictions of activities and route
- 9+ several long adult dinners; difficulty/restrictions of activities and route
- 6+ several long adult dinners; parent may not be able to pull a Burley and/or there may be multiple activity restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $6,698 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $5,898 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $5,298 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $4,998 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $4,398 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $4,098 pp dbl. occ.
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
This dual-country trip offers an exquisite mix of highlights with broad appeal for all ages. The bike routes are superb, following a mix of flat, peaceful country roads, dijk (dike) walls and scenic fietspaden (bicycling paths). There's a wealth of historic spots to enjoy, from the World Heritage site of Kinderdijk to the romantic central square of Bruges. And glorious hotels, including Manoir Inter Scaldes, which features a Michelin-starred restaurant.- Regional Manager