Beehive Mountain. Egg Rock. Oreo cows. Just hearing the names makes you smile. And wait 'til you get here. Cycling through charming New England fishing villages. Voices echoing under stone bridges on Rockefeller's historic carriage roads. Scaling granite at Otter Cliffs. Incredible views from Cadillac Mountain. Pedaling by the crashing Atlantic. Historic lighthouses. A bald eagle soaring overhead. Picking wild blueberries. And even time to sneak off for a spa treatment. There's so much to smile about.
Days 1-2 Pedal under towering firs and past pristine crashing surf at Acadia National Park The arched bridges and quiet roads of Acadia's carriage road system, a gift from philanthropist John D. Rockefeller, Jr., make for superb biking Donning harnesses and helmets, youngsters go rock climbing with expert guides at oceanside Otter Cliffs Spin through Northeast Harbor, a quintessential small town complete with galleries, a town market and only one downtown intersection Browse Bar Harbor's shops or simply relax at our hotel Partake in a classic Maine culinary experience—a lobster pound!
Day 3 Discover the understated beauty of Maine's coastline as you pedal along Penobscot Bay Start your ride in picturesque Belfast, passing charming 19th-century cottages along the way Experience the unique summer community of Bayside, described by the Washington Post as a "refreshing reminder of a simpler time."
Days 4-5 Enchanting Camden, brimming with galleries, museums and shops, and often called Maine's prettiest seaside village Grown-ups enjoy a hearty ride through the undulating hills around Camden Opt for a hike up Mount Battie in Camden Hills State Park The fresh coastal air and beautiful scenery around Rockport invite a last scenic spin.
- Discover the understated beauty of Maine's coastline
- Pedal under towering firs and past pristine crashing surf at Acadia National Park
- Seaside Camden, brimming with galleries, museums and shops
- Rock climbing at Otter Cliffs—the kids will be talking about it for weeks!
- Enjoy a classic Maine culinary experience—a lobster pound
The Harborside Hotel, Spa & Marina (2 nights): Overlooking Frenchman Bay, this luxury lodge in downtown Bar Harbor offers numerous amenities. (pool, spa, tennis)
Camden Harbour Inn (2 nights): An award-winning restaurant, exceptional hospitality and plush amenities come together to create a "refined stylishness that balances classic with contemporary," according to Andrew Harper. A Relais & Châteaux member. (spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids: Rock Climbing at Otter Cliffs (3 Hours)|
|Kids: Morning Activity (1 Hour)|
|Mount Battie Hike (1.5 Miles; 800` elevation gain)|
|Optional Afternoon Kayaking (2 Hours)|
To make for the most comfortable ride to this particular trip, we've outfitted our titanium road bike with slightly wider tires. You'll appreciate this on those stretches of the route with hard-packed dirt (approximately 20% dirt and 80% paved).
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/13-17 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/27-7/1 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/11-15 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/18-22 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/25-29 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/1-5 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/8-12 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/15-19 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1100 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 6 years
- Minimum age restriction for the trip: 5 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 7 years
- Minimum age restriction to kayak and rock climb: 5 years
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley Cub trailer and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $4,998 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,498 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $4,198 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,698 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,598 pp dbl. occ.|
Please note: Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
To give you an idea of how much we enjoyed our latest Backroads trip, let me just say this: on our drive home from the airport, we planned two more! We were reminded, after about a year-and-a-half gap between trips, how much we really LOVE traveling with Backroads. Looking forward to many more adventures with you in the future.- Winter Haven, FL
Backroads continues to be my tour company of choice. The attitude of your leaders is what sets you apart.- Everett, WA
My 12-year-old son dreaded bicycling before this trip. Thanks to our leaders, he found his inner cyclist.- Knoxville, TN