Maine's beauty lies in its rawness. Fresh tart blueberries growing wild on the side of the road. Hills rising from the rocky shores of Camden. Winding roads built centuries ago that hug the shore connecting village to village. Morning mist on Penobscot Bay. But in between the ruggedness lies the real beauty of Maine. Even a delicacy like Maine lobster still involves shells and claws. It's raw. It's true. It's Maine.
Days 1-2 Savor the scent of sea air and the flavors of the day's fresh catch Pedal amid the majestic fir and towering spruce of Somes Sound on beautiful Mount Desert Island Pounding surf collides with rugged coastline while lush boreal and hardwood forests blanket glacier-scoured hills in Acadia National Park The arched bridges and tranquility of Acadia's carriage road system, a gift from John D. Rockefeller, Jr., make for lovely riding In the mood for a challenge? Tackle the ascent to Cadillac Mountain's 1,532-foot summit, the North Atlantic Seaboard's highest point and reputedly the first U.S. location to see the rising sun.
Days 3-5 Discover the countless charms of Camden, with its sublime harborside setting and wealth of historic architecture Have a look around dynamic Belfast - home to more art galleries than any other town of its size in Maine - before cycling through the tiny coastal resort of Bayside Ride past Aldermere Farms - and their Belted Galloway cows - to Rockland, a seaside town brimming with cafés and bookstores Be sure not to miss the Farnsworth Art Museum, nationally recognized for its rich collection of Wyeth family paintings Savor a farewell dinner at our inn's elegant award-winning French restaurant The rolling countryside surrounding Camden and Lake Megunticook invites a scenic morning spin For one last "downeast" experience, treat yourself to a cup of coffee at the Boynton-McKay Food Co, a colorful Camden landmark founded in 1893.
- Savor the scent of sea air and the crash of waves on rocky shores
- The silence of deep pine forests and the flavors of the day's fresh catch
- Fresh lobster - need we say more?
- Discover the countless charms of Camden, with its sublime harborside setting
- Warm hospitality at elegant and historic inns
The Harborside Hotel, Spa & Marina (2 nights): Overlooking Frenchman Bay, this luxury lodge in downtown Bar Harbor offers numerous amenities. (pool, spa, tennis)
Camden Harbour Inn (2 nights): Exceptional hospitality and commanding views of the boat-dotted harbor are the hallmark of this stylish 1800s inn. (spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Optional afternoon kayaking|
To make for the most comfortable ride to this particular trip, we've outfitted our titanium road bike with slightly wider tires. You'll appreciate this on those stretches of the route with hard-packed dirt (approximately 20% dirt and 80% paved).
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/23-27 Price: $2498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/30-7/4 Price: $2498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/7-11 Price: $2498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/14-18 Price: $2498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/21-25 Price: $2498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/28-8/1 Price: $2498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/4-8 Price: $2498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/11-15 Price: $2498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/18-22 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/25-29 Price: $2498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/1-5 Price: $2498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/15-19 Price: $2698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/29-10/3 Price: $2498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/6-10 Price: $2498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1090 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date in next year's lineup for your group of 8 or more - just book by December 31st of this year. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $4,798 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $4,198 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $3,698 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $3,398 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $2,798 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $2,498 pp dbl. occ.
Guest Trip Reviews
The Backroads Maine trip? The best vacation ever! It couldn't be better. Fantastic views and routes, excellent accommodations, best food ever. Full of fun spots. We got a great group. When we thought it couldn't be better, you topped that.- Caracas, Venezuela
We had an awesome trip! It was so well organized, so much fun and really top-notch. We loved all of the special places we visited.- Highland Park, IL