Maine's beauty lies in its rawness. Fresh tart blueberries growing wild on the side of the road. Hills rising from the rocky shores of Camden. Winding roads built centuries ago that hug the shore connecting village to village. Morning mist on Penobscot Bay. But in between the ruggedness lies the real beauty of Maine. Even a delicacy like Maine lobster still involves shells and claws. It's raw. It's true. It's Maine.
Days 1-2 Savor the scent of sea air and the flavors of the day's fresh catch Pedal amid the majestic fir and towering spruce of Somes Sound on beautiful Mount Desert Island Pounding surf collides with rugged coastline while lush boreal and hardwood forests blanket glacier-scoured hills in Acadia National Park The arched bridges and tranquility of Acadia's carriage road system, a gift from John D. Rockefeller, Jr., make for lovely riding In the mood for a challenge? Bike to Cadillac Mountain's 1,532-foot summit, the North Atlantic Seaboard's highest point and reputedly the first US location to see the rising sun.
Days 3-5 Discover the countless charms of Camden, with its sublime harborside setting and wealth of historic architecture Have a look around dynamic Belfast—home to more art galleries than any other town of its size in Maine—before cycling through the tiny coastal resort of Bayside Quiet roads lead into the heart of Rockland, where you can enjoy lunch, browse in the many bookstores or linger at a café Be sure not to miss the Farnsworth Art Museum, nationally recognized for its rich collection of Wyeth family paintings Savor a farewell dinner at our inn's elegant award-winning French restaurant The rolling countryside surrounding Camden and Lake Megunticook invites a scenic morning spin For one last "downeast" experience, treat yourself to a cup of coffee at the Hope General Store, a colorful local spot founded in 1832.
- Savor the scent of sea air and the crash of waves on rocky shores
- The silence of deep pine forests and the flavors of the day's fresh catch
- Fresh lobster—need we say more?
- Discover the countless charms of Camden, with its sublime harborside setting
- Warm hospitality at elegant and historic inns
West Street Hotel (2 nights): Spectacular views and elegant accommodations await at this luxury boutique hotel on Frenchman Bay. (pool, spa)
Camden Harbour Inn (2 nights): An award-winning restaurant, exceptional hospitality and plush amenities come together to create a "refined stylishness that balances classic with contemporary," according to Andrew Harper. A Relais & Châteaux member. (spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Optional Afternoon Kayaking|
To make for the most comfortable ride to this particular trip, we've outfitted our titanium road bike with slightly wider tires. You'll appreciate this on those stretches of the route with hard-packed dirt (approximately 20% dirt and 80% paved).
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/29-7/3 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/6-10 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/13-17 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/27-31 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/3-7 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/10-14 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/17-21 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/24-28 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/31-9/4 Price: $2798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/7-11 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/14-18 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/21-25 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/28-10/2 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/5-9 Price: $2598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1030 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $4,598 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $3,398 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $3,998 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $2,898 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $3,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $2,598 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
The Backroads Maine trip? The best vacation ever! It couldn't be better. Fantastic views and routes, excellent accommodations, best food ever. Full of fun spots. We got a great group. When we thought it couldn't be better, you topped that.- Caracas, Venezuela
We had an awesome trip! It was so well organized, so much fun and really top-notch. We loved all of the special places we visited.- Highland Park, IL
From the individuals who helped me with making the initial trip reservation, to the person who answered my last minute pre-trip questions, to the trip itself (leaders, location, bike quality, food) - all were superb! The locations were beautiful, the hotel/inn were both great, as was the food.- Santa Monica, CA