Pristine beaches, deep mountain gorges and vestiges of great civilizations. Like a gift from the gods, Crete is a cyclist's paradise. Find your rhythm as you pedal seemingly forgotten roads on the outskirts of bustling port towns. Bike to the top of every climb or hop in the van. Savor tranquil moments at seaside cafés. It's always up to you. Crete gives you options, and our world-class van support ensures that you'll enjoy them all. At every turn, revel in the island's legendary hospitality as you explore this mythical land from coast to coast.
We want to make sure you're on the right trip and that you have the best experience possible. Every Backroads trip is unique and this one is no exception.
Terrain & ShuttlesThe terrain on this trip is hilly, with some steep ascents and descents. Level sections of riding are few and far between and the seaside winters can leave the roads weathered and worn. We'll flatten some of the hills with strategic shuttles to give you a boost (and to bypass some busier areas), but you need to be comfortable with some long downhills or hopping in the van for a lift. Also note that some routes follow quiet winding roads with little or no shoulder.
Day 1 The seaside city of Rethymno, with its historic center shaped by Venetian and Ottoman cultures Enjoy an easygoing ride to the Aegean or climb to traditional hamlets Stroll the narrow streets of Rethymno's historic old town - built by conquering Venetians, it's one of the best preserved on Crete.
Day 2 An unforgettable coast-to-coast ride between the island's two impressive mountain ranges Before entering the Kourtaliotiko Gorge, listen for the sound of kourtala (claps) as wind zips through high caves A dip in the Mediterranean might be the perfect finale to your ride Discover the inviting square, spring-fed waterfalls and ancient ruins of Argiroupolis.
Days 3-4 Savor fresh seafood and other local delicacies while overlooking the colorful Venetian port in Chania, whose history dates back to the Neolithic Age Take the high road above the coast for dazzling views of the Kiliaris Valley and Souda Bay Sample organic olive oils at a family-owned farm before biking to the shoreline, sharing the road with flocks of sheep.
Days 5-6 Soak up sunny skies and diverse natural beauty Pedal on rolling terrain through groves of citrus and olive trees en route to the village of Meskla Ready for a challenge? Ascend 2,500 feet for breathtaking views of Chania and the sea below A final spin on the rocky Akrotiri Peninsula reveals a hidden seaside monastery.
- Picture-perfect seaside Chania
- An unforgettable coast-to-coast ride
- Savor fresh seafood and other local delicacies
- Soak up sunny skies and diverse natural beauty
- A fascinating mélange of Greek, Turkish and Venetian cultural influences
Rimondi Estate (2 nights): This boutique hotel in the heart of the old town blends Venetian and Ottoman architectural styles with ultra-modern luxuries. A Small Luxury Hotels of the World member. (pool)
Casa Delfino (3 nights): It's a short walk to the Venetian harbor from this elegant 17th-century mansion, once home to a ship captain and his family. (spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 4/20-25 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/4-9 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/11-16 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/18-23 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 5/25-30 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/1-6 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/7-12 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/14-19 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/21-26 Price: $3898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/28-10/3 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/5-10 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/12-17 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/19-24 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/26-31 Price: $3698 pp dbl. occ., (+ $850 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick any open date in next year's lineup for your group of 8 or more - just book by December 31st of this year. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $5,698 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $5,098 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $4,698 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $4,498 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $3,998 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $3,698 pp dbl. occ.
Guest Trip Reviews
All of my expectations that I had set before going on the trip were greatly exceeded. Crete’s drastic topography and landscape offered some of the most extraordinary biking I can imagine from deep gorges to grueling mountain climbs followed by seemingly endless downhill’s to relaxing coastline rides. The accommodations and food were top notch, I felt myself having to continually having to reevaluate my expectations as each day of the trip seemed to be a little better than the last.- Pittsburgh, PA
Excellent, as usual. My wife and I love to travel but hate to plan. With Backroads you just show up as you have done all the work. This was our first real international trip (we have gone to PEI) with Backroads. It's a wonderful way to see the world.- Chapel Hill, NC