Here atop Italy's rugged rooftop, a surprise awaits: a network of cycling routes and bike paths that keep us from traffic and allow us to ride with locals and tourists of all ages. From Italy to Austria, two-wheel it amid electric-green meadows, charming old-world villages and spellbinding limestone massifs. Discover valleys steeped in history and shaped by the heritage of the Ladin people, whose unique cuisine, language and traditions will flavor your journey. And savor exquisite alpine meals, fine Italian wines and cozy inns where you're welcomed like family.
Days 1-2 Welcome to Tyrolia, home to a captivating mix of Italian, Austrian and Ladin cultures Ready to dive into the spectacular Dolomites World Heritage site? Embark on a pleasant riverside ride past orchards, vineyards and castles Piste ciclabili in Italy, Radweg in Austria - whatever you'd like to call it, this bike path is idyllic! Descend through the Venosta Valley, flanked by the jagged peaks of the Ortles and Ötztal mountains.
Day 3 Delectable mountain cuisine - polenta, <i>funghi,</i> local cheese, <i>canederli</i> and apple strudel Meadows, woodland and quiet hamlets set the stage for today's ride along the Rienza River Sprechen Sie Deutsch? In the medieval town of Brunico, most residents speak German A haven of tranquility, the Aurina Valley greets you with a few short hills and delights with majestic vistas of the snow-covered peaks of the Zillertal range Soak up the scene of fairy-tale forests, barns and locals hand-cutting their lawns with traditional wooden scythes.
Day 4 Hidden valleys and storybook villages framed by magnificent limestone peaks Following peaceful cycling routes, make your way through the countryside to Lienz, Austria, a charming cobbled town ringed by jagged spires.
Days 5-6 Wonderful regional wines, including <i>vernatsch</i>, <i>lagrein </i>and gewürztraminer Spin along a picture-perfect route through a forested valley nestled among the Alps Savor the bounty of an alpine picnic in cozy Matrei Back in Lienz, celebrate an unforgettable week of biking over a festive farewell dinner Pedal into the Drava River valley before saying auf wiedersehen to Tyrolia.
- Uncover the colorful history and culture of Italy's & Austria's best kept alpine secret
- Easy biking amid valleys and storybook villages framed by magnificent limestone peaks
- Pedal on bike paths past meadows strewn with wildflowers and filled with locals tending the rich soil
- Wonderful regional wines, including vernatsch, lagrein and gewürztraminer
- Enjoy a warm welcome at luxurious family-run hotels and the region's top restaurants
Castel Fragsburg (2 nights): This unique and stylish 17th-century lodge features unrivaled views of the surrounding landscape and a Michelin-starred restaurant. Relais & Châteaux. (pool, spa)
Feldmilla Design Hotel (1 night): Fall in love with the stunning surroundings and sleek minimalist-chic style of the "first carbon-neutral hotel in South Tyrol." (pool, spa)
Grand Hotel Lienz (2 nights): Framed by the Dolomites and Austria's highest peaks, this lavish new hotel epitomizes "sustainable luxury" with its utilization of solar and geothermal energy. (pool, spa)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
There is less than 10% of riding on hard-packed dirt on this trip. Since the overwhelming majority of the trip is paved, we've elected to use standard road bike tires on our titanium road bikes. Most guests find this to be the right answer. If you prefer to skip the dirt, a shuttle is always a possibility.
* Includes a shuttle
2015 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/28-7/3 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1000 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/12-17 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1000 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/19-24 Price: $4598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1000 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/26-31 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1000 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/2-7 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1000 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/9-14 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1000 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/23-28 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1000 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/30-9/4 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1000 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/6-11 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1000 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/13-18 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $1000 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/5-10 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/16-21 Price: $4398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $900 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Pricing for Private Trips (prices may vary based on departure date)
|2 - 3 guests from $6,898 pp dbl. occ.||8 - 9 guests from $5,298 pp dbl. occ.|
|4 - 5 guests from $6,098 pp dbl. occ.||10 - 11 guests from $4,698 pp dbl. occ.|
|6 - 7 guests from $5,598 pp dbl. occ.||12 or more guests from $4,398 pp dbl. occ.|
Guest Trip Reviews
This is a perfect trip for riders who dream of experiencing one of Europe's most epic mountain landscapes - without having to face epic climbs and descents. You'll pedal from Italy to Austria on an excellent network of traffic-free cycling routes and bicycle paths. Along the way, all the pleasures of the Dolomites are yours to savor: breathtaking scenery around every bend, wonderful local wines, delicious alpine cuisine, welcoming inns and memorable cultural encounters.- Regional Manager, Italy