The stories are epic. Action-packed. Exciting. Sprung from a quiet corner of France. So unassuming. Yet the scene of some of history's most heroic acts. Think Vikings. William the Conqueror. Faithful pilgrims. Allies landing. These stories really happened. And you'll know it. When you stand on windswept beaches by abandoned gun posts. Gaze at the spire of Mont-St-Michel's cathedral. You may be speechless. But not the kids. Biking. Horseback riding. Glassblowing. Clearly "action-packed" is not a thing of the past.
Day 1 Journey through two of France's most intriguing regions, starting in Brittany Enjoy a typical Breton lunch before biking along the famed Emerald Coast, lined with enchanting fishing villages and striking sandstone cliffs Kids are sure to love the tasty local apple cider.
Day 2 Rolling country roads along must-see beaches Vistas of La Rance Estuary highlight your ride from the coast to Dinan Pass through picturesque villages such as St-Suliac Sweet or savory? A stop in a crêperie is a must Meander through medieval fortified Dinan, and discover what's behind those half-timbered houses and narrow cobblestone streets Youngsters give glassblowing a try.
Day 3 The magical island monastery and cathedral of Mont-St-Michel, an iconic European pilgrimage site Head into Normandy's Calvados département, known for its cider and cheeses Explore the charming cobblestone streets of Bayeux, the first French town to be liberated by the allies in the summer of 1944 Join a local historian for a private tour of Omaha Beach and the American Military Cemetery.
Days 4-6 Visit D-Day landmarks and memorials Savor views of isolated beaches and rugged shoreline as you pedal to the coast Past and present collide in the beautifully preserved town of Bayeux Don't miss the 11th-century Bayeux Tapestry, a 230-foot-long embroidered "storybook" depicting the Norman invasion of England Kids saddle up for the popular pastime of horseback riding At the award-winning Caen Memorial, a "Museum for Peace," view thought-provoking displays that blend history with hope for the future.
- Discover the rich history and culture of two of France's most intriguing regions
- Bike rolling country roads along must-see beaches
- Awe-inspiring architecture of Mont-St-Michel
- World War II battle sights and memorials
- Kids explore the beautiful Normandy countryside on horseback
Hôtel la Villefromoy (2 nights): A Second Empire villa set in the heart of Brittany with ocean views and easy access to the region's best sights.
Le Lion d'Or (2 nights): Dating from 1770, this centrally located former coaching inn is just steps from the famous Bayeux Tapestry.
Château de Sully (1 night): Not far from the landing beaches, a charming 18th-century castle-turned-hotel surrounded by sprawling formal gardens. (pool, spa, tennis)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
|Kids: Land sailing adventure (2 Hours)|
|Kids: Glassblowing (2 hours)|
|Kids: Horseback riding (2 hours)|
|6||Caen Memorial tour (2 hours)|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 6/10-15 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $800 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/17-22 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $800 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/24-29 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $800 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/1-6 Price: $3598 pp dbl. occ., (+ $800 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/8-13 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $800 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/22-27 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $800 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/31-8/5 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $800 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/5-10 Price: $3498 pp dbl. occ., (+ $800 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/7-12 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $800 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/14-19 Price: $3398 pp dbl. occ., (+ $800 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/19-24 Price: $3198 pp dbl. occ., (+ $800 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Recommended Kids Ages
- Recommended minimum age for the trip: 9 years
- Minimum age restriction to ride own bike: 7 years
- Minimum age restriction to horseback ride: 7 years
General Info on Minimum Ages:We strongly encourage families to join our Family Trips, designed with kid- and adult-friendly features. Please note that we have a minimum age requirement of 1 year for all Inn trips and 2 years for all Camping trips. Other than that, we do not restrict trips to a minimum age except in the rare case of a hotel age restriction. We do, however, recommend minimum ages based on the following criteria:
- 12+ amount of cultural appreciation, difficulty of activities, routes
- 9+ difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions, routes
- 6+ several longer dinners; routes are difficult for pulling a Burley and therefore not appropriate for younger children; difficulty of activities/activity age restrictions
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $5,698 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $4,898 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $4,398 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $4,098 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $3,498 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $3,198 pp dbl. occ.
Youth savings do not apply to Private Trips.
Guest Trip Reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this Backroads trip. The region, leaders and mix of families on the trip were all wonderful. It was an excellent mix of physical activity, historical and cultural learning and fun. My entire family had a great experience. We're ready to do it again somewhere new!- Long Beach, CA
Best trip I have ever been on. The balance between biking and sightseeing was excellent.- Montclair, NJ
Our biking trip was first rate in every aspect. The shuttle buses were top of the line, the daily biking excursions were well thought-out and the scenery was breathtaking, the food was authentic and delicious, the guides were knowledgeable and kind, and the activities were suited to each person's needs. I can hardly wait to book another trip with Backroads!- Othello, WA