Three days never felt so good. Or so luxuriously long. From Alexander Valley to Dry Creek and further along to Russian River. Oak-speckled mountains. Winding, endless roads of manicured vineyards. Healdsburg's blend of farm-town friendliness and urban sophistication. A bounteous lunch alfresco leads to a Michelin-starred dinner. Crisp white wines and rich reds. A perfect night's sleep. Didn't we just arrive? It already feels like a week.
Day 1 Three days, three picturesque vineyard-laced valleys, world-class wine and gourmet cuisine Bike from Chalk Hill through oak forest into Alexander Valley An exclusive winery sets the scene for a classic Backroads picnic and the sampling of an excellent merlot Ride to charming Healdsburg, whose plaza welcomes a wander Savor Madrona Manor's exquisite cuisine, which has earned a Michelin star and features fresh vegetables from its organic kitchen garden.
Day 2 Pedal through the little-known Russian River Valley, where terraced vineyards flank quiet roads Broad meadows and grand estates give way to majestic old-growth forest as you bike to Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve, thick with ancient coastal redwoods The tallest in the grove stands more than 300 feet high - nearly the length of a football field! Up for more miles? Follow small country roads through more redwood groves and into the Green Valley.
Day 3 Taste local vintages at some of our all-time favorite wineries Continue getting to know the region on a route you're sure to love Spin along hillsides blanketed with grapevines, apple orchards and native oak woodland in Dry Creek Valley, acclaimed for its fine zinfandels A gentle climb takes you back into the neighboring Alexander Valley, often compared to France's Bordeaux region.
- A short getaway that feels much longer
- Explore three picturesque wine country valleys in three days
- Taste local vintages at some of our all-time favorite wineries
- Pedal through the little-known Russian River Valley, where terraced vineyards flank quiet roads
- Michelin-starred dinner of New Californian cuisine at Madrona Manor
H2 Hotel (2 nights): A hip eco-friendly hotel praised by The New York Times for its living roof, solar heating and cool aesthetic. (pool)
Every Backroads trip is designed to appeal to a wide variety of
interests and fitness levels. We know your pace may vary from one
day to the next-and your traveling companion's may differ somewhat
from yours. So we present a range of mileage options, and each
day you decide exactly what and how much you want to do.
Routes For All Abilities
|Daily Route Options|
|Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||Level 4||Level 5|
|miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain||miles||feet gain|
* Includes a shuttle
2014 Dates & Pricing*
- 5/2-4 Price: $1998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/13-15 Price: $1998 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 6/27-29 Price: $1898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 7/18-20 Price: $1798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/15-17 Price: $1798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 8/29-31 Price: $1798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/12-14 Price: $1798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 9/26-28 Price: $1798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/10-12 Price: $1798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 10/24-26 Price: $1898 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
- 11/7-9 Price: $1798 pp dbl. occ., (+ $520 for sgl. occ.)
*Prices may change. Once you book your trip, your price is guaranteed.
Private Trips Options & Pricing
Gather your favorite people to share a Backroads adventure on a ready-to-book Private Trip - featuring all the legendary Backroads hallmarks from expert leaders to unforgettable activities.
You can pick from a large selection of dates for your group of 8 or more. Call us for date availability.
If your party has fewer than 8 guests, or if your preferred date is not available, we'll create a departure just for you.
Pricing for Private Trips
- 2 - 3 guests $3,698 pp dbl. occ.
- 4 - 5 guests $3,298 pp dbl. occ.
- 6 - 7 guests $2,898 pp dbl. occ.
- 8 - 9 guests $2,598 pp dbl. occ.
- 10 - 11 guests $2,098 pp dbl. occ.
- 12 or more guests $1,798 pp dbl. occ.
Guest Trip Reviews
We had an awesome experience. The people, the atmosphere, the delicious meals, the opportunity to experience wine country on a bike and having someone else do all of the logistics was priceless.- Cortlandt Manor, NY
Although I was traveling with a group, I did most of my biking by myself. I really enjoyed this. I was able to go at my own pace and really let my mind wander and just take in the beautiful surrounding scenery. I had my directions, my cell phone and the van continually sweeping the route, so I knew I had an excellent support system backing me up. For those who hesitate to book a Backroads trip as you do not like to travel in a group, think of me riding solo through the California Wine Country and loving every minute of it!! This type of trip allows you to experience the region in your own way, yet with the support of a whole team behind you making sure you experience it as fully as you possibly can on your own terms.- Sylvania, OH
A fabulous mix of hard work and luxury - the best planned group trip I have ever been on. The leaders were organized, prepared at every moment, and delightful at every moment. I can't say enough about how good this trip was. The lunches the guys prepared were delicious. Even though I was the slowest rider they did not pressure me to go faster.- Citrus Heights, CA